Anyone used hoof armour?

Ali27

Visit site
My 4 year old has been backed for 3 months now and I’m lightly hacking her out on roads 3 times a week for 30/40 mins in walk. She seems to be getting a little footy. She was trimmed 4 weeks ago and farrier is due in 2 weeks time. Not sure whether to get her shod on front hooves or try something like hoof armour or hoof boots? Any advice would be much appreciated😍 I’ve only ever had my horses shod so barefoot is new to me! She is out 24/7 and is ID x Welsh.
Thanks very much in advance!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've been using it about two years now. I used to use boots but now only put them on if I am doing longer or rougher rides than usual. It takes a couple of applications until you get full benefit. Wish I'd known about it when I had my previous boy, it would have really helped him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've used it on and off for a couple of years on both of my horses and neither have boots, I tend to only use it in the summer really as our track gets stony.

Arabi went really sore footed a few weeks back his feet were so soft from all the rain I think they got very sensitive, I kept him in for a few nights on bute then applied some hoof armour then slowly increased turnout, his been absolutely fine since and is back out on full turnout.

It really is good stuff and very easy to apply just get a wire brush and get the hooves as clean as you can before applying and make sure they are really dry.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've been finding it a bit hard to get his feet clean and dry enough this winter with how wet it's been so the applications haven't been as good as normal
However things are drying up so I'll get a new layer on this week.
Thats why I left Arabi in overnight and applied it the next day so his hooves really dried out, although my fields have really dried up now I've just got a few damp bits.

It must have been hard in all this wet to get them dry enough without leaving them in for hours.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've been finding it a bit hard to get his feet clean and dry enough this winter with how wet it's been so the applications haven't been as good as normal
However things are drying up so I'll get a new layer on this week.
This is always my problem.

Ali27

Visit site
I've used it on and off for a couple of years on both of my horses and neither have boots, I tend to only use it in the summer really as our track gets stony.

Arabi went really sore footed a few weeks back his feet were so soft from all the rain I think they got very sensitive, I kept him in for a few nights on bute then applied some hoof armour then slowly increased turnout, his been absolutely fine since and is back out on full turnout.

It really is good stuff and very easy to apply just get a wire brush and get the hooves as clean as you can before applying and make sure they are really dry.
Great thanks, will definitely give it a try😍

lynz88

Visit site
This is always my problem.

This has been my problem as well. I've tended to put it on at night - so he will have been in for a few hours and then he is in overnight so works well. Mine just got his feet done today and as it was dry enough, did it right after.

Still on Winter grazing with hay so definitely not grass related!
Definitely worth giving it a try. It took a few layers to see the full benefit. I was doing 2 layers 24-48 hours apart and then I do a single layer every few weeks or so including after he gets his feet done.

JoannaC

Visit site
I've been thinking of giving this a try as now we've upped the hacking i'm worried she'll get footy. So far she's been fine but only been walking mainly and want to start doing some more so was toying with boots or fronts but like the sound of this. Where is the best place to get it from, i've only heard about it recently reading on here.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
This is the UK supplier

JoannaC

Visit site

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm a barefooter but what concerns me about Hoof Armour is the fact that you are essentially "sealing in" the foot, are you not??

Personally I'd prefer to go with finding suitable boots. Hoof Boutique would be able to help with this.

Just my thoughts.

Just in my case, my pony is retired. He does come in and out every day though and it’s stony and hard ground. Even in the field it’s now rock hard and a bit rutted in places.
So I did buy boots. They worked but started to rub and I didn’t like the idea of them being on so long, also I can’t use them when it’s muddy.
I have used hood armour and tbh it didn’t seem to do a great amount with this pony and I’d all but forgotten about it.
Now it’s dry I’ll give it another go.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm a barefooter but what concerns me about Hoof Armour is the fact that you are essentially "sealing in" the foot, are you not??

Personally I'd prefer to go with finding suitable boots. Hoof Boutique would be able to help with this.

Just my thoughts.
It actually helps the foot to be more healthy as stops bacteria and far less faff than boots.

One of mine just trips in boots and shoes so it's been a life saver for him.

Backtoblack

Visit site
This is the UK supplier

links terrible the bit you need is only in the screen bottom half with the top half being mostly white. very difficult to see whats what.

meleeka

Visit site
links terrible the bit you need is only in the screen bottom half with the top half being mostly white. very difficult to see whats what.

is this link better?