Anyone used Sarc-Ex?

Fallenrose

Visit site
Hi,

I have read many old threads on here about sarcoids but have some specific questions so thought I'd start my own :).

My mare has a few of the flat scaly type (on her face), and a few of the ones that appear as nodules (on her thighs). The sarcoids have come up since I bought her and she moved areas. No other horses on the yard have them.

None are in areas that cause a problem with tack. One of them was causing a bit of a problem as she knocked it when getting up and down - I have had this one frozen and it has dropped off. Had two vets from the same practice look at them and both have differing ideas as to treatment. One thinks leave them alone, and just treat any that bother her (my only concern with this is that they could spread). The other vet says Liverpool cream is best treatment (she is a recent Liverpool Uni graduate).

I'm worried that the Liverpool cream would be a painful process and she may be left with a lot of scarring on her face - not that it would bother her!

I have read on here about peoples experience with Sarc-Ex, and think it may be worth a shot (long shot I know) before I go down the Liverpool cream route, and have a few questions:

Have people used just the supplement? What were results like with that?

What about combining feeding the supplement and using the cream?

I'm would prefer to have a go with just the supplement, as I wouldn't want to put something on them that hasn't been recommended by a vet. Am think that even though the supplement may not help in the slightest, it won't do any harm?

Thanks for reading.

Toffee44

Visit site
I have used sarc ex with mixed results. 1st mare did nothing. 2nd mare sarcoids fell off and haven't come back on three years.

I used camrosa in the sarcoids as well. Took about 3months to clear them

Camel

Visit site
Share Mare has been on it for about 3 years, she has a lot of sarcoids and as soon as we take her off it as they don't seem to get rid of them, they all 'explode' as in get bigger and start to bleed/ucerate.

Her sarcoids are managed by banding when necessary and daily Sarc-ex.

Natz88

Visit site
My boy had a very small sarcoid in hsi girth area so got the vet out who suggested trying Sarc Ex first before going down the other roots. We used 2 tubs & sarcoid has gone. Runs *touchs wood* it hasn't come back, another lady on the yard uses it & find it very good

ImmyS

Visit site
My mare had a rather large sarcoid on her belly, paid £8 for a pot of thuja cream which I applied a couple of times a day. The sarcoid dropped off within a few weeks and has never come back :)

Persephone

Visit site
OP think very carefully before using over the counter remedies.

There is evidence that the more you mess around with different things, the less likely the "proper" treatments are to be successful.

Fallenrose

Visit site
Thank you for all suggestions - I will read up about them.

OP think very carefully before using over the counter remedies.

There is evidence that the more you mess around with different things, the less likely the "proper" treatments are to be successful.

Yes that worries me too - that's why I am considering using a supplement rather than an over the counter cream? I'm hoping that can't do any harm (even though it may not do any good either lol)?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
My gelding had his sarcoids treated twice with Liverpool cream. I asked the vet about herbal type remedies and she warned about using them as they dont truly understand the way sarcoids work and there is a chance any kind of treatment could actually make them worse. At least with vet prescribed treatment you have the vet over seeing the application incase of unwanted outcomes.

Fallenrose

Visit site
I asked the vet about herbal type remedies and she warned about using them as they dont truly understand the way sarcoids work and there is a chance any kind of treatment could actually make them worse.

Yes this does concern me - am very keen to hear from anyone with anecdotal evidence of herbal treatments making sarcoids worse/not respond to vet treatment.

Where were your boys sarcoids? How uncomfortable did the Liverpool cream make him? How long did treatment last?

Thanks!

Doncella

Visit site
Had Liverpool treatment on a pea sized sarcoid on the sheath. This exploded into a huge bloody, messy, golf ball sized sarcoid that bled down his hind legs. Put him on Sarc-Ex and it is shrinking, the hair has grown back over it and other smaller sarcoids have all gone.

Murphy88

Visit site
Can I ask why you say that?

My vet was happy for me to try this before going down banding and liverpool cream as this was what I wanted to do. For me it worked, like I said didn't touch my other mare. But she had one single sarcoid out of sight and not bothering her.

Camrosa at best will do nothing, at worst will make things 10x worse. It is designed to promote healing/skin growth, and the last thing you want to do to a skin cancer is encourage it. Derek Knottenbelt has some horrific photos of horses treated with camrosa, and I had hoped that most vets nowadays had got the message with regards to it. Certainly I wouldn't want to be the vet that sent a photo sarcoid referral to Liverpool for the cream and said you'd treated with camrosa, I can imagine you would receive a fairly strongly worded phone call from Prof K.

I can't comment really on sarc-ex, but I certainly wouldn't put any type of creams on sarcoids. With Liverpool cream, the average is 5 treatments, each 2-3 days apart, so 2 weeks worth of treatments. Soreness depends on location and the temperament of the horse. I have treated plenty that I have expected to get sore that haven't, but some do require a little bute, particularly in sensitive areas such as around sheath/axilla.

Fallenrose

Visit site
Had Liverpool treatment on a pea sized sarcoid on the sheath. This exploded into a huge bloody, messy, golf ball sized sarcoid that bled down his hind legs. Put him on Sarc-Ex and it is shrinking, the hair has grown back over it and other smaller sarcoids have all gone.

Thanks - sarcoids are so unpredictable! Seems whatever you do it has the potential to cure them or make them worse!

Fallenrose

Visit site
Camrosa at best will do nothing, at worst will make things 10x worse. It is designed to promote healing/skin growth, and the last thing you want to do to a skin cancer is encourage it. Derek Knottenbelt has some horrific photos of horses treated with camrosa, and I had hoped that most vets nowadays had got the message with regards to it. Certainly I wouldn't want to be the vet that sent a photo sarcoid referral to Liverpool for the cream and said you'd treated with camrosa, I can imagine you would receive a fairly strongly worded phone call from Prof K.

I can't comment really on sarc-ex, but I certainly wouldn't put any type of creams on sarcoids. With Liverpool cream, the average is 5 treatments, each 2-3 days apart, so 2 weeks worth of treatments. Soreness depends on location and the temperament of the horse. I have treated plenty that I have expected to get sore that haven't, but some do require a little bute, particularly in sensitive areas such as around sheath/axilla.

Useful information - thank you!

My mare is very calm and sensible - she would take it in her stride I'm sure. I wonder, as she has 2 types of sarcoids, would it mean 2 types of Liverpool cream? Would they treat them all at once or in stages (she has a few of each type)? How many vet visits and how much would it cost? I wouldn't mind paying for it if they could guarantee a sarcoid free horse at the end, but I know they can't. Obviously if the sarcoids were causing her pain/discomfort I would pay the money without question and treat them straight away.

I know these are all questions for my vet :) It is just useful to know about people's experiences of all the different treatments!