Anyone want to take a guess on the cause of this behaviour?...

buddylove

Visit site
Potted history of new mare. 5 yr old ID, backed by a pro, arrived beginning of March from Ireland, very sweet and easy in the stable, liked to prance around on back feet when being led in and out but never got away or put that much effort into it. Took a few weeks to get saddle fitted so spent time on the ground lunging, long reining etc. All very easy and responsive. Saddle fitted, going nicely in school and hacking, all very low key.
Fast forward to last week and she came into season in a big way. Did not want to be caught, started rearing in hand. Ok to tack up but as soon as I got a foot in the stirrup she bronked and reared across the yard. Took her into the school and she was stiff and unresponsive, like a steam train round a downhill slalom course! Quickly went out and bought some oestress.
2 days later she seemed a bit calmer, got on fine but early on we had another rear and was stiff on the right rein. Left rein was fine, relaxed and had a nice canter.
So gut reaction was season, but also got EDT coming out to check her over as well. Obviously if EDT finds nothing I will get her vet checked as well.
Gutted we have these issues so early on in our relationship 😐

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You are doing the right thing getting the EDT.

Then vet and maybe Chiro - you need to find out the cause now before it because a way of life on frequent Chiro visits.

Hope to god it isn't KS but maybe pain from muscles in the back or neck,withers etc. The fact that she danced around on 2 feet before makes me wonder if this was brewing before or she was on a calmer etc.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Every mare's season is different -- like women and their periods! In a strong season, my mare becomes a raging lunatic, only focused on where her barnmates are with no interest in me. She'll take off bucking and rearing and doing her best to try out for the Spanish riding school. As soon as she is out of heat, she is docile, sweet, and willing to play along with the humans.

You have to strike a balance between not letting them get away with crap, because stuff you accidentally encourage during a hormonal tantrum can become learned behaviour you don't want if you're not careful, but at the same time recognise that in an entire animal, there is part you will never have. The mare can be the most respectful, well-trained horse in the world, but some mares get so singleminded about wanting a stallion (or on most yards, whatever is available) that they don't care anymore. For others it isn't such a big deal. It's easy for me to see when my mare is having one of those days, and I've learned adapt my plan. In her (our) misspent youth, I was more confrontational and would 'make her do it anyway,' and in hindsight I am not sure it was effective and it was definitely not positive for me or her. It certainly didn't make future strong estruses more ridable, nor did it change her affable, easygoing not-in-season behaviour. I would argue that fighting with her ("dammit, we are going on a solo hack") pretty much achieved nothing. Remember, the horse doesn't know that you planned on hacking out that day, or that you really didn't mean to spend the entire schooling session in walk. She has no idea. She isn't capable of thinking, "Hah, I knew she wanted to work on half-passes today and I totally got out of it." If you stay in control doing whatever, even if it's practicing walk pirouettes in the school, or going on the world's shortest hack, you continue to reward the behaviour you want and haven't started a fight with your mare.

Of course, if you show your mare, the non-confrontational method doesn't work because the show is when it is. This is why people use Regumate.

Last edited:

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Following with interest as about 10 years ago I bought a mare from a dealer, advertised as kind and easy, ideal happy hack. In April, when I tried and bought her, she was just that but within a couple of weeks of getting her home she came into season and turned into a complete witch. She was just about unrideable and dangerous on the ground, came at me in the field with ears back and teeth bared and had to be led in a chifney!! As I had bought her as a kind family horse and had no wish, or to be honest the facilities or ability, to either get hurt or deal with this sort of behaviour I insisted the dealer took her back and I was refunded. I did speak to my vet at length and he was fairly sure it was hormonal and we debated whether to insert a marble. All things considered though I decided she wasnt, and was never going to be a horse I could get on with so decided not to persevere. A mare is after all, an entire animal the same as a stallion so to some degree always a slave to their hormones, not their fault but not something I wanted to mess with. Will be interested to see if your mare is suffering with her time of the month or whether it turns out to be something else

irishdraft

Visit site
Personally I would think 5 yo possible first season this year ? new place/ owner I'm guessing you haven't done to much riding re saddle issues . My ID mare reared & bucked for 18 months out hacking if she decided she didn't want tu go past something but got her over it in the end. Get her checked of course but I think it's early days to be panicking just yet .

buddylove

Visit site
Update...... EDT out yesterday and someone has clearly gone power tool crazy in her poor mouth, to the extent where there is exposed dentine 😔 so if you catch her or take up a firm contact it probably feels like someone smacking a metal spoon on one of your teeth if you have exposed nerves!!!
However, she did tolerate work on her mouth without throwing the EDT across the stable, so he has suggested a non-metal bit, and monitor through next season as well (as that also seemed to exacerbate the behaviour).
But if we can't manage her comfortably she will have to have surgery - which is apparently the equivalent of a human root canal!!
The joy!! She is definitely worth it though as she is such a sweet girl.
Moral of the story - please make sure your EDT or vet is suitably qualified and up to date. Yes it costs a few quid more, but worth it in the long run.