Anyone willing to assess these hooves please?

Marigold4

Visit site
4 year old, lightly backed is lame on front left. As yet undiagnosed. Vet booked for full investigation. Trimmer has tried hoof testers and no reaction. Would anyone be prepared to assess these hooves and their trim please just to double check its not hoof angle. When its your own horse sometimes it's easy to miss something that's under your nose. He's due for a trim next week. He has long pasterns which may cause him issues.

Left front first, then right, then left hind then right hind.

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPGimage6.JPGimage7.JPGimage9.JPGimage1.JPG

Marigold4

Visit site
they aren't at the right angle for assessment of angles, the camera needs to be flat on the floor and exactly perpendicular to the hoof. There's nothing glaring that would cause a lameness though.
Ok thanks for the tip. I will take more and re-post!

Marigold4

Visit site
Not footsore. Hoof testers were negative this week. Takes a shorter stride on front left. You can see it most in trot on inside of a lunge circle. It's like he can't swing that leg forward. I'm told most things are in the foot, so I'm starting there but I'm wondering if it's his elbow? Is there such a thing as elbow lameness??

Marigold4

Visit site
Ok so here's hopefully a better set of photos, following Ester's suggestion and an extra of his front legs. He's weighting himself slightly to the right.IMG_2190.JPGIMG_2193.JPGIMG_2194.JPGIMG_2195.JPGIMG_2196.JPG

Marigold4

Visit site
Yes, I did think long toes too but wondered what others thought. The weird thing is he doesn't leave long toes on my other horses and vet has complimented his trim on those others.

Marigold4

Visit site
Maybe they just can't cope with that type of foot, although his mum is one of my others and she is a Primitive Rising mare so lots of TB too. Am I right in thinking that because he has long sloping pasterns, long toe will not help him at all?

He is landing flat. I have taken film of him trotting up on the road and slowed it down to check.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thank you. That's really helpful.

Rather dreading having a conversation with with trimmer though. Difficult to question a professional's judgement.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that because he has long sloping pasterns, long toe will not help him at all?
Your are right. Your trimmer should have been well aware of that, too. I remember from your earlier posts that you use an EPA trimmer, so did I :(.

Not a great recommendation for that qualification.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Much better photos well done! and it shows as you really don't see those toes in the first set.

Landing videos are best taken at the walk, they are more inclined to be heelfirst the faster they are going so if he's only flat at trot that would concern me a bit, because on the basis of the back of his hooves he should be fine to land heel first.

Trimming wise I wouldn't think it would take much to bring them back but I have only ever trimmed my own. I'd be concerned if I had a trimmer that wasn't discussing that with me.

Marigold4

Visit site
They look like fundamentally good feet. I’d want the front toes noticeably shorter personally .

Toe length could easily be a red herring for current lameness. Worth getting the vet still
Thank you for your input. That's useful to know you agree. Vet still coming, physio booked and contact made with Tom Beech. I don't think his feet are right, but the lameness is higher up I think.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Maybe they just can't cope with that type of foot, although his mum is one of my others and she is a Primitive Rising mare so lots of TB too. Am I right in thinking that because he has long sloping pasterns, long toe will not help him at all?

He is landing flat. I have taken film of him trotting up on the road and slowed it down to check.

I would want to see it in walk, where flat is not really good enough in a horse which has never been shod, he really should be heel first.

Marigold4

Visit site
Much better photos well done! and it shows as you really don't see those toes in the first set.

Landing videos are best taken at the walk, they are more inclined to be heelfirst the faster they are going so if he's only flat at trot that would concern me a bit, because on the basis of the back of his hooves he should be fine to land heel first.

Trimming wise I wouldn't think it would take much to bring them back but I have only ever trimmed my own. I'd be concerned if I had a trimmer that wasn't discussing that with me.

Well, I'm probably not the best at judging hoof landing.can I PM you a video of walk?

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks, that's really useful. He's the middle one, isn't he.

I need to have an awkward convo with trimmer. I did mention it last trim, but he dismissed the idea.