Anyone with experience of pedal bone fractures - need help....

Marnie

Visit site
Muppet is 4 1/2 months since diagnosed and is being handwalked for 20 minutes a day, building up over time. I have been walking her around the yard which is cindery, and she has been really well behaved. The other horses in the yard are now being turned out in fields around the yard and she has become more or less unmanageable - rearing, leaping, kicking out. I have had to stop walking her as I am worried about her or me getting hurt.

I would like to be able to walk her up the road as I know that she would be fine there, no other horses and used to do it regularly. I was told to walk her on a soft surface though.... I have a call in to my vet and won't do anything against his advice, but wondered if others bringing horses back in to work with similar injuries were able to walk on hard surfaces or just soft. I feel that she would do less damage walking up the (quiet), level lane than leaping about in the yard.

Thanks for any thoughts!

eventing_chick

Visit site
Your vet needs to re asses
IMO do not take at on the road, it may well have behaved there before but it hadn't just stood in for months.
My advice don't take it anywhere untill soundnss has been assessed.
A horse farting about on a road with anyting but a 100% peadle bone is asking for a re occurance.

Marnie

Visit site
Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything until at least speaking to my vet, I'm just trying to think of ways not to get killed at the moment
crazy.gif

eventing_chick

Visit site
For this weekend i'd just leave it in! If you are that worried you're prob best sending it away to a yard with ba rubber surfaced horse walker or doping it and turning it out in a small paddock and i mean 20 x 20 max so it can't get going too fast!

Marnie

Visit site
Yes, that's what I had decided to do. Have been looking around for a rehab livery, but not had much luck yet!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Marnie, my mare fractured her pedal bone last August and she has been on complete box rest ever since except for the last month where she has been able to come out of her stable for mucking out. She is not the type who will 'walk out' quietly and like yours will jump about, buck, rear etc. The horses all went out on 1st May and i was dreading how she would react so i sourced a Rehab Livery and sent her there, she has been there 3 weeks now, swimming, hydrotherapy and on the horse walker. It's not cheap, but fortunately my insurance covers the first £1000 after that i am going to pay for her to stay there a while longer on full livery on the horse walker only.

Where about's are you as i would highly recommend the rehab livery where my mare is and personally i would not walk your horse 'up the lane', see what your vet says. I am hoping after the 7 weeks she will have been at livery i will be able to turn my mare out in a small paddock.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Thankfully I havent had personal experience of a fractured pedal bone although I have looked after several after being operated on and screws put in place. Common sense tells me that it would be better as you say, walking out in hand instead of leaping around like an idiot. You could always pack his feet with hoof packing which would reduce concussion and support the soles of his feet. I could be wong so ask your vet first
smile.gif
M.

kinglouis

Visit site
Oh so sorry to hear about your horse, we have 2 on the yard with broken pedal bones and they both have gel pads in their shoes and were only off for approx 1-2months before going back into quiet work on a surface, a month later one is now back hacking etc...might be worth asking vet/farrier about the gel pads. Also have you tried anything like Temprelax to help her stay calm, I hated the thought of using anything like this but when my gelding sprained his high suspensory and I had to do loads of controlled work (quite ironic when you are trying to control them straight from teh box!) it was the only way I managed to stay alive! He only needed 15ml once a day (less than the max you can give them) and he was so well behaved, its allowed him to make a speedier recovery. Good luck.