Anyone with experience of Temporomandibular Dysfunction?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's a new one on me, but it looks like one of my 5yos has it. She's been fussy about her mouth for months, vet did teeth (again!) and said she had a ramp on the near side. Did what he could with it - no improvement - still quidding more haylage than she swallows. So explored again and found a hook he's missed - right at the back - and with a nasty ulcer - so did his best with that. Had my other vet look at her today - the back tooth is going sideways and she thinks it must be removed - and she showed me why she thought there was associated TMD and gave a steroid jab to help with that. This is going to be expensive!

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yup. Horse smashed his eye brow bone into fragments, and displaced his TMJ at the same time. His front teeth went out of alignment, overshot by an eighth of an inch. He was unrideable when the eyebrow had healed, he just bucked and bucked if you touched the bit. No better bitless, either.

I turned him away, intending three months to see how he got on, but he broke his cheek bone in the field and was left with trigeminal neuralgia so bad I had to PTS.

Sorry not to have better news, or a more relevant case, but the bucking when the head wound had healed and the teeth were only a tiny bit displaced shows how much it can affect them, I think.

Dentist wouldn't touch him, vet said he couldn't help without huge expense that probably wouldn't get us any further forward.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Thankfully mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as that. My vet seemed pretty optimistic that getting the 'bad' tooth out should set her on the road to recovery. The TMJ doesn't appear to be displaced - just inflamed - and steroid should help heal that.