Anyone with horses living out rugging yet?

Ali27

Visit site
My two are out 24/7 without rugs yet! They are both good doers and don't feel the cold too much! They also have lots of natural shelter in their field. However I will be giving them blanket clips within the next few weeks and will then put L/Ws on them. I am keeping them out until the end of Oct when they will have full clips and then M/W's on unless it snows and then HWs on!

emmanash

Visit site
Just started putting her lightweight no fill rug on yesterday. The weather was awful and wet and I'd rather she was wrapped up and grazing in the field than cold and huddled against the hedge not eating. She's a bit of a wuss compared to her fieldmates bless her!

whisp&willow

Visit site
just had to rug all mine yesterday...

whisper and tego (tego is 40 and starting to look her age. :( ) were shivering and miserable. willow (yearling) also has a rug on now.

all are in their middle weights, and tego's will stay on from now. if the weather clears up the whisp and willow will be stripped again...

SO1

Visit site
No as I have a fat new forest and he won't be rugged until he is clipped. He loves rolling in mud and getting dirty so I try and let him be rug free for as long as possible.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Just a rain sheet in the last few days as there is no shelter in the field and it can get windy. But I'll rug minimally until he looks more like the tb he's supposed to be and less like a hippo with matchstick legs.
At the end of the month he'll start coming in at night and won't wear anything in the stable until he's clipped.

Baluga

Visit site
1 isn't and won't be until she gets clipped. One is in just a L/W and the clipped one is in a M/W.
They'll be coming in at night before we know it :D

appyowner

New User
Visit site
Mine are all out and will be until the end of October hopefully. They are now wearing lightweight Wugs as the weather is not very kind at the moment and I don't want to start feeding too much yet just to keep them warm. If it warms up and dries out again (please let us have an indian summer), then the rugs will come off again.

Whoopit

Visit site
Mine has had a lightweight rug on for the last two or three weeks. The slightest sign of drizzle and a breeze and he gets a snotty nose. But then, he is a Thoroughbred and seems to have earnt himself the nickname throughout the vicinity of "Fairy Feet". . . He's not the butchest! :D

jacksmum

Visit site
My cob no but my TB is as i like him to go into winter with good weight and always feel it is easier to add warmer rugs than having to feed more for weight loss :)

WelshTilly

Visit site
No way, she's far too fat! :D

I have one of those too!! :D she is in during the day and out at night so when i bring her in i do feel guilty if she is standing shivering in the gateway however i bring her in put a fleece on her give her breaky have a cup a tea whilst she is munching and suprise suprise she has stopped shivering so fleece gets whipped off :eek:!!

She certainly knows how to wrap me round her hoof!!

Barney860

Visit site
Oh dear, well my TB is already in a M/W :eek: as someone said Id rather keep condition on when we go into winter than him lose it from getting chilly...

He doesnt seem too hot in it and never sweats up even after a run around the field...

My fatty mare is in a rainsheet just because Im not ready to clip her and already she has a thicker winter coat coming through, she doesnt sweat up either, however if the wind a rain drops she'll be naked in the day rugged at night..

Then my tiny Sec A is naked 24/7 im aiming for a fluff ball look for him this winter!! lol

Rose Folly

Visit site
No. The pony and the cob won't be rugged on a permanent basis for another two months or so, though obviously in dreadful weather I'll sling something on them. The TB, fine coated, needs to build up some proper coat before winter. We keep an eye on him, and he also has a choice of two barns to go in to at will. But if we rug him now he'll be in 5 duvets by Christmas!