Anyones horse ever had tics?

welshied

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone elses horses have ever had tics or is it just mine that seem to pick them up?

only_me

Visit site
no ticks here but in south africa my friends horse seemed to attract every tick in a 5 mile radius
tongue.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
I came across one on my boy last week...I was not impressed! You can burn them off, but I wouldn't recommend trying that!

Cover them in vaseline and they should suffocate and drop off, DON'T try and remove them because you'll take the body but leave the head/jaws in place...creepy!!

hoggedmane

Visit site
My mare used to in the New forest. You can get a tool for removing them from the vet turn 2x anti clockwise. Or is it clockwise?

frazzled

Visit site
Get a tick lasso,most pet shops sell them, it pulls them off really easily. Never burn them off it can cause the ticks body to explode and create an infection. I am constantly pulling ticks of pony and children thanks to all the deer that are eating my garden to bits.
smirk.gif

Rollin

Visit site
We have ticks in one field so we cut that for hay and don't graze it in the summer.

You can buy a special device to remove them - as said don't pull them off. You can 'put them to sleep' with alcohol on cotton wool then it is possible to remove them as they relax their bite.

You should check for them as they can spread disease.

frazzled

Visit site
In humans they can spread Lymes Disease. After removal keep an eye on the site and if a red ring and flu like symptoms develop go straight to the doctor. Antibiotics will probably be needed. It is a very horrible and debilitating disease.

maddielove

Visit site
Vaseline didn't work with mine.
Spray with TCP or that foot spray(amacyl or something)/purple spray and they fall of themselves.

ihatework

Visit site
One of the fields I used to rent used to have deer passing through regularly and my horses were picking up lots of ticks, especially on muzzles.

You can buy a little gadget to remove them which is useful but if you apply the frontline spray (buy it from internet/vets for dogs) on muzzle/sheath/prone areas it stops the ticks completely.

abracadabra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In humans they can spread Lymes Disease. After removal keep an eye on the site and if a red ring and flu like symptoms develop go straight to the doctor. Antibiotics will probably be needed. It is a very horrible and debilitating disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got bit when i was working abroad and barely knew the language, hard work at the docs but pointing worked ok
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Ours get loads, and then the horrible crystallised puss spots when they react to them.

How much frontline do you put on and how often?