Anyone's horse knew they were pregnant?

noblesteed

Visit site
I am just 8 weeks pregnant, not showing a bump or anything. Just coming to terms with it and thinking about the future for my 12 year old iberian x gelding. I don't really want to sell him as we had tons of problems when I first got him 3 years ago and he can be very quirky and obstinate, and he goes all 'spanish' sometimes. I have a good relationship with him now and I know him inside out.
I have decided to give up jumping as horse can be cheeky, and chuck me off or buck for the hell of it. So just been hacking out and schooling.
ANYWAY since I found out I had a 'bun in the oven' my gelding has behaved like a lamb. He is so gentle on the ground and has turned into a bombproof ploddy old cob out on a hack. He is slow and steady and non-spooky. It is scarecrow week in our village and he hasn't even batted an eyelid at the scarecrows all over the place. I am delighted as it means he is safe to ride in my 'condition', and OH won't ban me from riding!!!
My friend and I wondered if he in fact knows I am pregnant and is taking care of me? Can he smell my hormones or something? But I wouldn't have expected a gelding to do that, maybe a mare?
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Don't know about actually knowing you are pregnant and looking after you lol, nice thought tho!

But you will smell different, tis your hormones going wild!

I was pregnant once out on a friends farm and the friend who happens to be a vet said oh I wouldn't go in that shed, the Bull is in there and he might react to you being pregnant, I said ahhh it will be fine.... Said Bull really reacted when I walked past, was roaring and getting uptight, I soon fled lol!

Apparently bulls react to ladies having their period too! XX

Megibo

Visit site
i don't know about them knowing, but when a friend up the yard was recently pregnant my mare would nuzzle her huuge bump nicely nicely, then when she wasn't looking try to headbutt it like 'get that thing out of my way!' :rolleyes:
but that's just what my horse is like...
when the baby cries she sometimes shoots filthy looks in the general direction with her ears back so i don't think she's generally impressed with the tiny human!

Booboos

Visit site
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Unfortunately mine didn't seem to know I was pregnant, or if they knew, they didn't care!! My bitch knew about it and is still affected by it (because I am breastfeeding?) which is a pain as she is clingey, fearful and weird.

hannah87

Visit site
Congrats! I am 36 weeks pregnant and my mare who is normally not very affectionate (had her 11 years!) and abit of a stroppy madam has been very gentle with her actions round my (huge) bump. She blows and nuzzles it if I lift my top up! However our big old gelding is completely oblivious and almost knocked me flying with his giant doughnut head the other day.
On a similar note my terrier (male) is terrified of my bump and eyes it up very cautiously and is extremely nervous if I point it too close to him (he is a very confident little dog normally!) I think he thinks I have eaten some form of puppy and he is next...

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Congrats! Think all of ours new before I did. Although I didn't find out for quite a while, all the horses we had at the time changed how they were with me when riding, all became non spooky, and 'overally' safe. (OH wonders if they can feel the second heartbeat).
When Mini was born OH took him for a walk in his pram, with the dogs in the horses field. OH's horse Sir (17.1), who is herd leader acted really strangely, walking next to the pram pushing it with his nose and chasing off the other dogs and horses. OH called me out to watch and to see how Sir would react with me, he pulled me towards the pram with his nose and then continued pushing it. Wouldn't have believed if it I hadnt been there. Think Mini was being welcomed as part of the herd. Sir has always been an angel around Mini and acts as his nanny Mini can do anything with him including sitting on him in the school and walking around with us not next to him, but in very close proximity from the age of 3.

Snoopy1

Visit site
Congratulations. I am currently 39 wks pregnant with my second. With my daughter 3 years ago, my boy absolutely knew I was pregnant and turned into an affectionate old plod who totally looked after me (he is usually a hothead chestnut TB!). He is also amazing with my daughter. This time round has been very similar with the exception of a couple of slightly out of character incidents from him, but I wonder if he was picking up on my stress rather than anything else. On the whole he has been very sensible to ride, lovely to handle and very affectionate again. They definitely know in my opinion. Good luck with your pregnancy.

riding_high

Visit site
my old mare was a nervous wreck, i couldn't do anything with her without her freaking out and trembling. she couldn't even accept me wearing a waterproof coat (the rustling sent her nuts), she was never nasty to me though but she was so scared.

anyway when i was pregnant with my second child it was 7 weeks before i found out, i rode her a couple of times with my OH walking next to her as previously she had done some really bad rears etc so was trying to reschool her, anyway she was more cautious of moving and seemed to do everything in slow motion and also when she spooked she would jump away from me rather than into me if i was on the ground, she also stood to be mounted, something she never ever did. so i think she knew.

when pregnant with my last child, my son (^^^ the one i was pregnant with above) wouldn't come near me (although he is autistic) and kept pointing at my stomach and screaming, a couple of weeks later i found out i was pregnant again which explained his unrational 'fear'. so yes i think most animals and alot of kids can pick up on pregnancies before the mum does.

blakesmum

Visit site
Yes my boy definitely knew. He was a total angel to ride, he also stopped nudging me aroung the tum before I even had a bump.
Once my son was born he went back to his old habits, although he could be behaving like loon and as soon as the little one appeared he was good as gold and if he sat in front of me while I had a little ride round B was like a lamb.
Interestingly me little boy once banged his head on a tap near where B was stood and started crying. B instantly started nuzzling and licking his head as if to comfort him. They definitely have an amazing bond and will spend hours 'grooming' each other.

mulledwhine

Visit site
Yep, my old tb defiantly knew before I did, I thought he had gotten used to being caught, brushed, ridden, and had decided he like cuddles....... Nope, 3 weeks after this change in bahavouir I found out I was pregnant, a month after having daisy he reverted back to type :D

Lurke

Visit site
Apparently bulls react to ladies having their period too! XX

This is a myth I'm afraid (and a common one!), I work with many bulls and own 10 and they don't give a rat's ass about anyone's period :D why would they? You're not ovulating when on your period (2 weeks later) so there wouldn't even be that interest for them? They are fine around pregnant cows too so I can't see why human pregnancy would make them angry?