Anyone's horses clipped and still living out?

amandaco2

Visit site
Got 3 fully clipped inclu legs. Out in mw no necks atm. Schooling at ele dressage or above
one older mare semi retired who is fluffy, very fluffy, will have a bib clip so she doesnt drip with sweat on her 1 or 2 hacks per week.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have two out and clipped ,ones chaser clipped ATM the other has a blanket clip with half a head on and non off his quarters ( a sort of chaser / blanket hybrid ) they are in light medium weights .
The ground is still lovely and dry the younger of the two will come in when it gets muddy and Tats will stay out with access to the shed at night .
I have two in with daily turnout , Fatty , he works best in at night and J who would hate it outside this time of year .

ihatework

Visit site
I agree.
Some people just take the lot off because it "looks smarter", or "because he sweats so much" (when they're only dong an hour of schooling). People should clip according to their horse's workload - not what looks better.

Who cares? As long as the horse is adequately rugged!!

I schooled mine for an hour last night. She came in dripping, had to have a full hose down at 6pm and then under solarium for an hour. She has a growing out blanket clip. Would have been very happy with a fresh full clip last night!!

Lynds

Visit site
My horse is always fully clipped and lives out no problem. I never clip ears though if they live out as I heard they can get frost bite!

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Daughters cob is blanket clipped and hogged. Currently out in a rainsheet but will change this to a MW and a neck cover if really cold/wet in depths of winter. Has natural shelter and ad lib forage. Was always stabled in winter in her previous home but seems more than happy living out.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I don't see why any horse shouldn't be able to live out and be clipped as long as it's rugged accordingly. I would leave half a head and legs on for protection but other than that, in this day and age of modern rugs, I don't see why clipping is an issue.

Auslander

Visit site
I agree with ihatework. Mine didn't do a busting lot of work last winter, but I clipped him out because I felt like it. He had plenty of rugs on and didn't feel cold at any point over the winter, so hardly a welfare issue.