Anyway of stopping the general public feeding the horses?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd make the surrounding fence electric (with notices hanging off it) AND put up signs saying don't feed them AND I'd probably put up a couple of CCTV camera signs too - might put them off? That would drive me insane.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would fence them back from the perimeter with electric fencing, then wrap barbed wire around the top rail of the perimeter fence to deter anyone wanting to climb over. Hang a warning notice stating that the electric fence runs off a high voltage mechanism in order to stop the horses breaking out. Would you be allowed a guard goose in the field, that would scare away most people, apparently they are Ok with their owners, murderous to anyone else. You could I suppose put up a sign saying the horses have been fenced back from the perimeter as you have found adders in the grass and dont want the horses to be bitten. Its the reason I turned down an MK Parks trust paddock, it was a beautiful spot but set right behind a small housing estate and too close to the redways for comfort. My greedy pony would have exploded!!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'm always tempted to follow them home and feed their dog sausages through their letter box to make a point.

When I had the problem I found the electric fence warning notices where more effective than the please don't fee the horses ones.

I would be tempted to do this, but to lace the sausages with canine laxative...

Ernest Doodles

Visit site
Saw this the other day whilst trying to get some inspiration for an effective sign to put on the gate.

Did make me titter :D

Attachments

• DSCF4162 (2).JPG
    DSCF4162 (2).JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 59
Visit site
After an incident with two large heaps of uncooked rice in my mares field we electrify the perimeter fencing (with signs saying it's electrified).

Carlosmum

Visit site
Can you run some plain wire or white tape along the top of the fence with 'Mains Electrified 2000 volts' at regular intervals, it you get the height right it might deter hands from reaching over, the electric need not be on.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Yes I have had this problem particularly bad in lock down. I have always had a sign "please do not feed horses" so I have now put up a bungee rope to keep the ponies away from the gate, inexpensive and so far seems to have solved the problem, as not found piles of grass chucked over the gate. I don't think I will ever solve the issue 100% and we have seen the Shetland limbo under the bungee rope but my Connemara is terrified of going near the rope she thinks its a snake !