Apart from H&H - where to advertise a competition horse?

_daisy_

Visit site
Ive been away for some time now and whilst ive been away from here Ive made some big decisions - 1 being that I need to sell my big competition horse. Its going to be a sad sale but its due to personal circumstances.

Shes advertised locally in feed, tack stores etc but ive not had much contact about her. So shes going in H&H shortly but I need as much exposure as possible for her as ideally id like her gone in the next few months.

Can anyone recommend other good websites to advertise her. (shed ideally make a fantastic dressage horse, jumper or eventer)

TGM

Visit site
I'd second Horsequest.

Has she actually got a good competition record or is she a 'potential' competition horse?

_daisy_

Visit site
no she doesnt have a competition record unfortunately so is more potential. This is not due to her but my time commitments over the last few years as ive had a few yongsters coming through. However I would like to get her out and about as much as I can (if I can) but then its a matter of would someone prefer a horse with no competition behind it so they can start from scratch or a little?

TGM

Visit site
If she has no record, then videos can be a really good way of showing off her potential and sites like Horsequest and Horsedeals allow you to put videos on.

Puzzled

Visit site
I'm interested as to where to advertise to. Put my 15.2hh talanted event/alrounder on HorseQuest on friday (late afternoon) but by monday there were already 30 adverts infront of his!!?? How much response have people had from H&H? I'm worried about spending lots of money advertising a horse who's only for sale for £3500.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I sold my mare last year through Horse and Hound - put her on the web for three weeks, then in the mag for the last week, which bumped her up the web again. The buyer had seen her in the magazine. I also put her on the pony club website, which was cheap, and generated lots and lots of phone calls - even months later!

If I was looking for a decent horse, I would search H&H, pc and Horsedeals. For cheaper horses I would use Horsemart.

dingle12

Visit site
Hi hun long time no see, hope your ok xx i would say horsequest dont bother with horsedeals they have too many in to sell and i think people can easily overlook horses, market bad at the moment we have 3 to sell and not having much look :(

WeeBrown

Visit site
I'm interested as to where to advertise to. Put my 15.2hh talanted event/alrounder on HorseQuest on friday (late afternoon) but by monday there were already 30 adverts infront of his!!?? How much response have people had from H&H? I'm worried about spending lots of money advertising a horse who's only for sale for £3500.

Is your horse the Black Irish gelding - if so he is gorgeous. I have been looking for something that height but I am after something that can give me confidence over fences and show me the ropes. I think yours sounds like it needs someone a bit more experienced from the last sentence..looks stunning though.
If that is not your horse just ignore me! :)

WeeBrown

Visit site
Hi hun long time no see, hope your ok xx i would say horsequest dont bother with horsedeals they have too many in to sell and i think people can easily overlook horses, market bad at the moment we have 3 to sell and not having much look :(

The market is a bit rubbish at the minute!! I can't find any experienced horses around 9 years.
Are the ones for sale Clare's horses? Someone at my yard was raving about one of the young geldings she had for sale, she said he was a great mover and very chilled.

dingle12

Visit site
The market is a bit rubbish at the minute!! I can't find any experienced horses around 9 years.
Are the ones for sale Clare's horses? Someone at my yard was raving about one of the young geldings she had for sale, she said he was a great mover and very chilled.

Yes they are and that will be Gucci or ali they are talking about :) gucci is are real star and loads of personallity :) he is a welsh ali is french tb so it could of been any of thoses two. Ali is only 5 but so laid back he is like an old man :)

DuckToller

Visit site
As someone who has been looking for a year fruitlessly, I would say that to maximise your chances of finding the right buyer, you need the following:

One sideways on straight conformation shot so I can see it has a strong back, head in proportion to well-set on neck etc. I am suspicious of any sideways on shots - what are they not showing me?

Ideally a loose jump photo to show bascule/front legs tucked up/back end thrown away shot (well obviously one photo won't show all that but something that makes me think potential really means potential).

A video of a bit of walk, trot on a circle (so I know it's not lame) and then canter and jump. I have sat through various musically-challenging vids waiting for them to load on my low-broadband computer, to see a horse showing trot, more trot, and yes, you've guessed it, even more trotting! If it's going to jump I want to see it at the very least that it has an athletic canter.

And I do check H&H and the PC website first, as I am a snob and think anything decent would be on a well-known website (and we don't want this thread pulled!).

I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs, btw, in case you know all this. But for anyone else reading who is thinking of selling, BE TOTALLY HONEST! Otherwise you will waste everyone's time and the poor horse will end up with half the world coming to try it out because you have put all the right words in (Potential! Athletic! Seriously Fab!) without mentioning the major surgery/hopping lame/huge head/weak back. I might still be interested, but when I step out of my car and am met with less than the sum of the advert, my heart sinks and rarely lifts again.

Rant over :)

_daisy_

Visit site
hi hun,

sorry for late reply, only just got back on here. i was looking at putting her on horsequest late night whilst I was out but didnt have the info on my partners laptop so going to put her on there, and for the extra little amount to pay I might as well advertise her as one of the ones that are kept at the top.
So a few adverts to go tonight what with that and H&H
is Claire having no luck? god if she isnt theres sod all chance for me then?
s xx

_daisy_

Visit site
Hi N :) i think you should by my horse she fits the age category at least lol :) then were both happy :) only joking but in an ideal world would be good.
dong think mum actually gave you an advert when she came to your yard to see Ray did she?
S
xx

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for that, plenty to go on. ive got plenty of pics of her and get as many as prospective buyers want likewise with videos. ive got some of her when I was at the Lee Pearson clinic in Feb so can crop those because they are very long and wouldnt want to bore people because as you mention i hate it when the laptop takes ages to load because of all the faff they put on.

Puzzled

Visit site
Is your horse the Black Irish gelding - if so he is gorgeous. I have been looking for something that height but I am after something that can give me confidence over fences and show me the ropes. I think yours sounds like it needs someone a bit more experienced from the last sentence..looks stunning though.
If that is not your horse just ignore me! :)

Yes! Thank you! That's him! He a really nice little horse, but I don't really do jumping so he just needs a bit more experience before he's ready to BE. I think he would come along really quickly though as he's naturally very good! Passed my lorry test last week, so he's off jumping this weekend and went out last weekend (all with a friends daughter - he was very good!)

dingle12

Visit site
hi hun,

sorry for late reply, only just got back on here. i was looking at putting her on horsequest late night whilst I was out but didnt have the info on my partners laptop so going to put her on there, and for the extra little amount to pay I might as well advertise her as one of the ones that are kept at the top.
So a few adverts to go tonight what with that and H&H
is Claire having no luck? god if she isnt theres sod all chance for me then?
s xx

Not even had one phone call for ali :( market really dead but you could be lucky and she could sell quick :) pm me a photo and details and i will ask about for you :) clair may know someone she teaches.

WeeBrown

Visit site
Yes! Thank you! That's him! He a really nice little horse, but I don't really do jumping so he just needs a bit more experience before he's ready to BE. I think he would come along really quickly though as he's naturally very good! Passed my lorry test last week, so he's off jumping this weekend and went out last weekend (all with a friends daughter - he was very good!)

He is LUSH! Just my type except for the experience aspect...hope you get a fab home for him.
I need one that goes "aaahhh it's a numpty on my back, commencing numpty mode" not like my present mare who goes "ahhhh it's a numpty on my back mwhaahaaa"

WeeBrown

Visit site
Hi N :) i think you should by my horse she fits the age category at least lol :) then were both happy :) only joking but in an ideal world would be good.
dong think mum actually gave you an advert when she came to your yard to see Ray did she?
S
xx

Nope,no advert...just got a rather hideous, heavy saddle :) We were playing "hunt the Ray" as he went from one livery to another though so she may have been distracted.
Your mare is way out of my league...she deserves someone who can ride, not cling on :) It's so funny that since we have been looking for a new horse everyone keeps finding me ones that would be fab for Andy and I'm like "No...no more horses for him...this one is JUST for ME!!" I don't really want to go bigger than 16hh, 15.2 - 15.3 would be better.
If you need any of those Cross Country shots for anyone, though I'm sure you have tons of stuff, let me know. I think she'd make a fab eventer, she never hesitated at any of those fences and she's always floated at dressage. Hope you get her a lovely home.