Apologies.....Smegma

Carlosmum

Visit site
My boy has a mucky sheath, I seem to be cleaning it every week, fishing out gunk with lube and a glove. But he also manages to plaster his back legs too.
Does anyone have a remedy for washing the gunk off? Normal horsey shampoo just doesn't seem to work. BTW he has EMS and has recently been diagnosed with PPID too.

FFAQ

Visit site
I'm so glad you posted this because my biy gets so filthy I have started to suspect he is planting potatoes with it!
A friend's Shetland gets pretty gunky too and she put him on sarc-x for a sarcoid. She reckoned it didn't do anything for the sarcoid but it did help with the smegma ?‍♀️

Zuzzie

Visit site
Whatever you do, don't use anything other than warm water as anything soapy will upset the Ph balance in the sheath. My horse has had a mucky sheath for years. I have recently had a bit of success by first cleaning the area and then coating inside with live yoghurt (Greek natural yoghurt will do) to put some good bacteria back. You only need to use a dessert spoon of it. It has improved a lot.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Whatever you do, don't use anything other than warm water as anything soapy will upset the Ph balance in the sheath. My horse has had a mucky sheath for years. I have recently had a bit of success by first cleaning the area and then coating inside with live yoghurt (Greek natural yoghurt will do) to put some good bacteria back. You only need to use a dessert spoon of it. It has improved a lot.

Thank you for the yoghurt idea, I might try that. I only ever use water and/or lambing lube, copious quantities available cos we have 200 ewes! It's the muck down his legs I have issue with, but I guess if I can reduce the gunk inside the outside might be cleaner

meleeka

Visit site
I only ever use dilute baby wash but I do think the more you clean it, the more they produce. I rarely do it these days and haven’t noticed any difference than when I did it often.

Mule

Visit site
Thank God mine doesn't run down his legs, he's bad enough as it is :D Also, I would wash it off his legs with fairy liquid and a grooming brush. I obviously wouldn't go near the sheath with it though.