Appalled at the Grand National Advert

Old Bat

Visit site
I remember that incident but can't for the life of me remember who it was though Piggy French springs to mind. Could be absolutely wrong! They legged it back to the lorry and both horse and rider were unharmed.

FinalFurlong

Visit site
I loved it!

Don't know if this has been mentioned as haven't read all replies but it was filmed with the devil's stunt team (i've heard of them plenty of times before and they have a great rep) using their horses and riders, I think only 2 of the horses where actual TB's.

I thought it was really clever and funny

only_me

Visit site
I loved it!

Don't know if this has been mentioned as haven't read all replies but it was filmed with the devil's stunt team (i've heard of them plenty of times before and they have a great rep) using their horses and riders, I think only 2 of the horses where actual TB's.

I thought it was really clever and funny

It was the devils horsemen in the clip, friend was riding!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Brilliant ad! Dear people - this is what stunt riders, horses and co-ordinators do for a living; make it look real (when it isn't, at all).

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
The interpretation of it certainly changes depending on whether you like or dislike racng doesn't it ;)

I personally don't watch TV unless it's films on sky so no adverts, or I'm watching programmes on my laptop so again no adverts but I've heard they are quite well done :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Who ever said has anyone else jumped picnic benches. Of course I have. I was horrible as a kid. And tea tables set for tea with a cloth and all sorts of other silly things.

Nowdays I would ask for a ground line to be put down and the thing to be staked to the ground but I'd still jump one ;)

starr_g

Visit site
I hardly ever see adverts as I watch just about everything on sky+ so fast forward through them. Thanks for the link - I think it is great.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yeah, I could not get parked in tescos today, about four thousand people had watch the advert and decided to showjump around the carpark...come on.

I love it.

shadowboy

Visit site
I think it's brilliant. Really captures the adrenaline and atmosphere of the races. I don't really watch racing but I like the way they did it.

kirstyl

Visit site
Great advert. Love the idea of bouncing garden hedges - only the idea mind you, not the actual doing :)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Eh ?? What's the problem with it. I think is is very dramatic and very well done. Of course they arent galloping on tarmac (please??) nor are they jumping over people's garden fences. Its all superimposed. Its a brilliant advert !

littleladylou

Visit site
I think it is great. If anyone is stupid enough to believe they can canter their pony down their street and jump their KA than they a probably doing very silly things already. The ad is special and celebrates how these adgile and versatile animals can win races and be part of a normal family as a retrained racer

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Just seen it again, and would not be surprised if some of those props are used at Badminton. I mean when I was there 20 years ago, cars were used as jumps. There is NO galloping on tarmac (tracks clearly), and the bottom line is that for ANY ad using animals, the RSPCA have to be there during filming. And don't forget photoshop ! It is a cracking ad.... full marks to the agency.

That said, I DETEST the Grand National because of the fatalities - in fact any racing tbh. Yet again this year, there will be horrific deaths and a public outcry. And the HHO posts "should the G.N. be banned ???" well imho, yes it should be, but it's all about money. :(

ladyt25

Visit site
I have finally seen it! Now seen it twice :D I read the article on the H&H news page about how they filned it using some 'stunt horses' and some racehorses for the scenes. They are not actually jumping the cars anyway but the looks of the filming as they are jumping in between the car bonnets over, well, whatever! Anyway, they jump pick ups at Badminton so no more challenging. The 5 bar gate they jump also looks some what reduced in size.

I think it's a good ad and I can only see one point where it appears they are galloping down a street (outside the houses) and I would imagine this is either a surface again or they are cantering down a short stretch (no worse than a bit of trotting) as it's all in slow motion anyway.

I like the ad - I believe the idea was to appeal to non-racing people to show a bit more of a 'fun' side to horses/racing. Ok, not all people agree with the race, that's fine. I can't imagine anyone is going to try copying anything in the ad though!

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I know that two of the horses used where hunters, allthough tbs, one of who has def been in training before, as my brother took them as part of the stunt team. Also believe that the one he got to ride in the advert was a hunting mare from Ireland, he said it was very good :) he isn't a jockey but has ridden out so did the whole race, unlike some of the other stunt riders who just did the falling off. The greenhouse was not real glass, as allready said they had tracks down on the roads, they did jump all the jumps but a lot where made just for that, ie it wasn't a real garden. All of them praticed over the jumps before the actual race, had lots of fun and the horses that he took defeinately came back sound after having lots of fun!! And also they did jump the car bonnets, tbh it's not that big a jump, prop a bit like jumping the plane at RAF Halton ride.