Appaloosa Experts - What colour is my foal? Anyone know of ISH stallion "McCann"?

Arkmiido

Visit site
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/picture.php?albumid=589&pictureid=3430

I have a beautiful filly by a dapple grey belgian warmblood, out of an ISH mare (Pebble). She is, I believe, a few spot appy. Her dam was a non appaloosa ISH mare, and her sire was ISH grey stallion called McCann (by Cruising) but McCann's dam (Sally O'Brien!!)'s dam is unknown, sire is Cornell's Court. So I have true ISH lines on both sides except for this one unknown line - which is where I think the spots come from.
Pebble's sister, my foal's aunt, is a leopard spot appaloosa. They share McCann as a sire, and their dams were 3/4 sisters (both black, solid coloured mares...) So McCann has the appaloosa gene somewhere and has sired 2 mares, one a few spot, and one a leopard spot, and apparently has sired other ...
So what colour will my filly go? The top pictures is her when she was a couple of days old - she is now grey (almost white) around her eyes and cheeks, her neck and legs are going a combination of light and dark iron grey, she has brown eyebrows, and the white spots on her bottom remain. She has spots in the pigmentation on her udder and under her tail, and pink sclera. :confused::confused:

Chavhorse

Visit site
Hi all I know is that mine who is a Dutch Warmblood X Appaloosa went from this

Aged 3 Years
picture.php

To this

Aged 4 Years (April)
picture.php

To this

Aged 4 Years (September)
picture.php

to this
Aged 4 Years (November)

picture.php

To this

Aged 5 years (July 2010)
picture.php

picture.php

My Advice never set your heart on your Blanket and Saddlepad colours!

By the way yours is beautiful and I was told mine would be a bright bay with a blanket:)

Pat10

Visit site
She will almost definitely end up grey, even if she has spots now. The last thing you do to produce spots is use a grey, as that gene is dominant. If white goggles appear round the eyes, and the spots look elongated, these are distinct pointers to greying. There's a load of information on 'The Appaloosa Project' (google it) if you're interested in colour genetics.

She's gorgeous, anyway.

Chavhorse, yours is a lovely colour, and I suspect he won't end up totally grey, though may get lighter still.

Last edited:

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site

I have a beautiful filly by a dapple grey belgian warmblood, out of an ISH mare (Pebble). She is, I believe, a few spot appy. Her dam was a non appaloosa ISH mare, and her sire was ISH grey stallion called McCann (by Cruising) but McCann's dam (Sally O'Brien!!)'s dam is unknown, sire is Cornell's Court. So I have true ISH lines on both sides except for this one unknown line - which is where I think the spots come from.
Pebble's sister, my foal's aunt, is a leopard spot appaloosa. They share McCann as a sire, and their dams were 3/4 sisters (both black, solid coloured mares...) So McCann has the appaloosa gene somewhere and has sired 2 mares, one a few spot, and one a leopard spot, and apparently has sired other ...
So what colour will my filly go? The top pictures is her when she was a couple of days old - she is now grey (almost white) around her eyes and cheeks, her neck and legs are going a combination of light and dark iron grey, she has brown eyebrows, and the white spots on her bottom remain. She has spots in the pigmentation on her udder and under her tail, and pink sclera. :confused::confused:

YES YES YES! I have 2 half brothers to yours- both from Denstead :D the sire is Drea McCann- here is a picture from his stud card:
DreaMcCann1---455-1.jpg

The stud used him a whips horse out hunting as he was such a gent!

Our two-
io silver lightning at 3 years old
IOSilver.jpg

and at 5 years old
IMG_2828-1.jpg

iorosehill2009---485-1.jpg

He is a good 16.1hh, his mum was a 15.2hh roan and white cobtype hunting machine!

Harbledown Harry as a foal with mum

Harryx2---453.jpg

another with mum and then his colour change as a yearling
Harryx1---454.jpg

When i bought him last August as a virtually untouched 4 year old
Harrypoor.jpg

Being backed as a 5 yr old last month
Harrytrotting.jpg

I have seen pictures of other Drea McCann offspring and apart from a strawberry roan, all have ended up white with a handful of spots,There is a horse called Merry Cruise that was doing BE out of him too. io is a fantastic jumping horse and will be starting BS this winter. He really is a double clear machine :) io and Harry both have the most wonderful temperaments (which is why i bought Harry- i wasnt looking for another but couldnt resist him )

ironhorse

Visit site

QUOTE]

Ha Ha only western riders will fully understand this :D We currently have a grey so anything goes, but are hoping to purchase a buckskin and husband is eyeing up green pads and shirts !

Chavhorse

Visit site

QUOTE]

Ha Ha only western riders will fully understand this :D We currently have a grey so anything goes, but are hoping to purchase a buckskin and husband is eyeing up green pads and shirts !

Ironhorse indeed...My Saddler will only let me buy certain colours declaring the ones I like as "no way your horse is busy enough" ...sigh!...

Arkmiido

Visit site
YES YES YES! I have 2 half brothers to yours- both from Denstead :D the sire is Drea McCann- here is a picture from his stud card:
OMG OMG OMG!!!! THEY LOOK JUST LIKE PEBBLE!! Ok I know, duh, they are related, but OMG!! Like, the same spots!!!!! Spotty eyes and other skin? She has dapple grey legs though...
picture.php

BTW this is a pic of the day I first sat on her - she's an absolute doll.
"Drea McCann" is this McCann as in Cruising x Sally O'Brien? Or a brother of his?? Where is the spottiness from??? Yours are just stunning though. I'm so going to hunt Pebble now, I think she'll look just the ticket. ;)

Arkmiido

Visit site
She will almost definitely end up grey, even if she has spots now. The last thing you do to produce spots is use a grey, as that gene is dominant. If white goggles appear round the eyes, and the spots look elongated, these are distinct pointers to greying. There's a load of information on 'The Appaloosa Project' (google it) if you're interested in colour genetics.

She's gorgeous, anyway.

Chavhorse, yours is a lovely colour, and I suspect he won't end up totally grey, though may get lighter still.

I wasn't actually trying to breed a spotty horse - Pebble having them is incidental to me - I bought her as an ISH with a suspect colour!! She looks like she could just be covered in large flea-bites on her bottom... I actually wanted to breed a sports horse, the colour of which happens to be hanging in the balance now... She has brown eyebrows, not sure if they look like grey goggles. But the spots are definitely elongated... I'll have to take a current picture!! So you reckon she'll be grey ( uniform white? iron grey? dappled?) Spotty, Pebble's 7/8 sister, looks very like Chavhorse's appy - same like of spots and colour - she started out bay and has become more and more spotted!!

Chavhorse

Visit site
Mine is a few spot Appaloosa, bought as ISH ( I thought he was a grey) His Dam is ID grey, Sire Irish Cob appaloosa. He has plenty of spots but they are elongated so I wonder if they will disappear eventually. Mines not being backed til next spring now as he is still very immature and bum high at 16.2h.h!
best2web.jpg

best1web.jpg

I had one of those last year Bless went through a real Fugly period I wondered what on earth I had bought he improved this year thank god.

I call this his Surrealist Period!
a055.gif

picture.php

picture.php

LazyS

Visit site
Mine is a few spot Appaloosa,

Storminateacup - your horse is a near leopard spot, not a few spot. Few spot means just that 'few spots'. My born-like-it few spot appaloosa is pure white and has 6 red (liver chest) spots, one on his back (where the saddle will go one day), one on each hock, one on the underside of his belly and 2 on his face. His mother is a red leopard spot (spots all over, no roaning or varnish marks), his sire is an extended snowcap with a bay base colour, with roaning (or varnish marks).

LazyS

Visit site

Your little one is a blanket spot (at the moment) and I would say if she had the white hairs around her eyes she will end up grey. I saw a nice little mare at a show at the weekend who would have been a leopard spot but there were obvious white hairs growing over the spots sadly. If you want to know what colour she is get her tested with Animal Genetics. And there is lots of info in Breeding about colours and genes and things which you may find interesting.

LazyS

Visit site
Oh they are all lovely!

This is my boy....who is officially an abstract appaloosa according to my vet!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bjc076/HillPlace200310#5451012303963067186

Never found anyone else who looks like him!

If I were you I would post this pic on the Breeding section and ask them what colour he is - very unusual - I like unusual colours myself. There are people on there with far greater knowledge on colours who perhaps do not look in the New Lounge. :)

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
OMG OMG OMG!!!! THEY LOOK JUST LIKE PEBBLE!! Ok I know, duh, they are related, but OMG!! Like, the same spots!!!!! Spotty eyes and other skin? She has dapple grey legs though...

BTW this is a pic of the day I first sat on her - she's an absolute doll.
"Drea McCann" is this McCann as in Cruising x Sally O'Brien? Or a brother of his?? Where is the spottiness from??? Yours are just stunning though. I'm so going to hunt Pebble now, I think she'll look just the ticket. ;)

How sad am i that i am delighted to have found more siblings to my 2? :D

Drea McCann stood at Denstead Stud with Kevin from West St Tickham Hunt? cant be too many spotted cruising stallions sharing the name- they did call him McCann for short..plus ours are so similar.. i will check Harrys passport when i get home as his breeder had the DNA blood test thingie to confirm his breeding for the studbook registration so he has more info than io.

:D:D

tractor

Visit site
D_D_D thank you, he is most definitely a cracking hunter! Quite happy anywhere in the field or out on point....but also most definitely not for sale - I've had him since he was an unbroken three year old, he's 14 now and I would be lost without him!

May well post in breeding....would love to know where those spots came from :-D

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
D_D_D thank you, he is most definitely a cracking hunter! Quite happy anywhere in the field or out on point....but also most definitely not for sale - I've had him since he was an unbroken three year old, he's 14 now and I would be lost without him!

May well post in breeding....would love to know where those spots came from :-D

Dont blame you- he is stunning.i keep mine forever too- its so lovely watching them grow up :) FWIW i have seen horses a similar colour in Europe- i think they were called sabino- dont hold me to that though :)

Arkmiido

Visit site
How sad am i that i am delighted to have found more siblings to my 2? :D

Drea McCann stood at Denstead Stud with Kevin from West St Tickham Hunt? cant be too many spotted cruising stallions sharing the name- they did call him McCann for short..plus ours are so similar.. i will check Harrys passport when i get home as his breeder had the DNA blood test thingie to confirm his breeding for the studbook registration so he has more info than io.

:D:D
Ok so do I do this blood test thingie? For Pebble anyway, if not Twiglet?
I'm pretty sure West Street Tickham is our local hunt - our pony club (ok, I have technically outgrown that) is West Street South (Tickham). Will have to ask my sister if she knows a Kevin...
Pebble and Spot were owned by Brian Redwood of Shadowlands Stud, East Kent (Eastry) - but passport says breeder was J McCarthy, of Lennox Rd, Gravesend, Kent (The 2 dams of Pebble and Spot were pre-fixed with Lennox, by Lennox Major).

I saw (yay for google) your post a couple of years ago with problems registering Harry because of McCann's registration - did all that get sorted with DNA testing?

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Ok so do I do this blood test thingie? For Pebble anyway, if not Twiglet?
I'm pretty sure West Street Tickham is our local hunt - our pony club (ok, I have technically outgrown that) is West Street South (Tickham). Will have to ask my sister if she knows a Kevin...
Pebble and Spot were owned by Brian Redwood of Shadowlands Stud, East Kent (Eastry) - but passport says breeder was J McCarthy, of Lennox Rd, Gravesend, Kent (The 2 dams of Pebble and Spot were pre-fixed with Lennox, by Lennox Major).

I saw (yay for google) your post a couple of years ago with problems registering Harry because of McCann's registration - did all that get sorted with DNA testing?

My post was re io silver lightning as he only came with a generic passport. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=io...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQqwQwAA

top one is his youtube video of when we bought him- loving made with appropiate soundtrack by the girls who did a smashing job of backing him, they put loads of info on there which might be relevant. There are also some dressage and SJ vids too :) Harry's breeder did the test so he could be registered but i have NO idea how its done, just it cost something like £250 :eek: will PM you McCann's stud sheet which gives a little more info...

Zoehop

New User
Visit site
I have a 16.2 gelding by Drea Mccann out of a black hannoverian mare. He's passport as dun but doesn't really have a clear dorsal stripe so I'd say he's buckskin. He also has a Hazel eye. He has an amazing temperament and loves to work with a natural aptitude for lateral work, but he LOVES to jump! FB_IMG_1560117283582.jpgFB_IMG_1560117200433.jpgFB_IMG_1560117170121.jpgreceived_858038674585737.jpeg