Appaloosa/Knabstupper...whats the difference?!

mandwhy

Visit site
Well, they're different breeds :)

I think spots wise knabstrupper seem to have more evenly placed dalmation like spots and appaloosa can have all kinds of spots and patterns.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
They are different breeds.

ETA.

I think spots wise knabstrupper seem to have more evenly placed dalmation like spots and appaloosa can have all kinds of spots and patterns.

No, they both have the LP gene.

BigBuck's

Visit site
This reminds me of a thread about someone who kept saying knobstrap instead of knabstrup teeheehee

:D

They are, as mandwhy says, two different breeds. The Appaloosa has its origins in America, while the Knabstrupper is essentially a Danish Warmblood. Appaloosa blood was used in Knabstrupper breeding in the 1970s to provide some outcrosses.

Orangehorse

Visit site
But the origins of the Appaloos would have been from Europe as all the horses in the New World died out/were eaten. It was the Spanish who introduced horses again to the Americas when they invaded.

At one time spotty horses were very greatly prized by the Royal Houses in Europe, then they fell out of favour.

Isabeau

Visit site
Ummm... well.... American here with experience in both breeds telling you that Knabs are nice warmbloods, and Appys are, kinda, sucky.

Appys are not particularly athletically inclined for jumping, dressage, etc You get the rare individual. But I used to work on a breeding farm with +/- 120 Apps and there were all of 2 decent sport horses on the whole place. The Appaloosa breed is mainly aimed at a very low level market that likes the color, and wants a horse that is not 'much' to handle.

Knabs are middle of the road warmbloods with flashy color. But even as middle of the road warmbloods they are much higher quality horses than American bred Apps.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Appaloosas in the UK have a good reputation of being fairly easy - like a lot of american breeds and as you say Isabeau. I know of a couple - one a pure bred who is lovely and a showing winner and another that was crossed with an arab and was a great horse, so keen to please and laid back. A purebred would be 15 hh ish? A family horse size.

There are some really nice spotty/appaloosa sports horses around though- I guess that they have been bred up and crossed with a TB or something. I have seen quite a few locally.

These are quite different from the Knapstrupper though. Aren't these quite big strong horses?

Petalpoos

Visit site
Courtesy of Wiki :D - they need additional citations on the subject so maybe someone with experience of the breed should help them out!

"The Knabstrupper or Knabstrup is a Danish breed of horse with an unusual range of coat coloration. Coat patterns range from solid to a full leopard spotted coat, with many variants in between. The spotted coat is caused by a genetic mechanism called the Leopard complex and is the most prized color pattern. The spotted color patterns common in the Knabstrupper are seen in other breeds, such as the Appaloosa horse, though the two breeds developed independently of one another. The breed has warmblood conformation.
[edit]History

A Knabstrupper being ridden sidesaddle.
This breed was very popular, but later was carelessly bred with other horses and it is not certain if any purebreds from this breed remain. They do well in dressage and show jumping, and are used in general riding, as carriage horses and as circus horses.[1] In 1971, three Appaloosa stallions were imported to Denmark to add new blood to the Knabstrupper breed.[2]

The breed is usually around 15.2 to 16 hands (62 to 64 inches, 157 to 163 cm), but there are also pony sized ones (under 14.2 hands (58 inches, 147 cm)).
Some Knabstruppers are born with solid colors, such as bay or chestnut.[3]
Knabstruppers originated in Denmark, but today are bred in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, United Kingdom, USA, and, most recently, Australia and New Zealand."

Fii

Visit site
Appaloosas in the UK have a good reputation of being fairly easy - like a lot of american breeds and as you say Isabeau. I know of a couple - one a pure bred who is lovely and a showing winner and another that was crossed with an arab and was a great horse, so keen to please and laid back. A purebred would be 15 hh ish? A family horse size.

There are some really nice spotty/appaloosa sports horses around though- I guess that they have been bred up and crossed with a TB or something. I have seen quite a few locally.

These are quite different from the Knapstrupper though. Aren't these quite big strong horses?

A lot of appaloosas in Britain have quarter horse in them! And in America !

Isabeau

Visit site
Agree that there are quarter horse-y and Thoroughbred-y type Apps. BUT they are rarely bred for intensive sport performance. They are more 'family' type horses with smaller gaits. Knabs are more bred as 'sport' or 'performance.' Bigger gaits. More power. There is a para rider in the USA who rides a Knabby stallion.

Fii

Visit site
I have seen some very pretty appy x Arabs!
I think i am right in saying they can still be registered if crossed with Arabs, TB or quarter horses!