Appaloosa owners please read

Rachaelpink

Visit site
I own a full bred appaloosa mare who I've had for around five years and loaned for 6 months before I bought her. In that time she has always had yellow discharge from her eyes, daily. Her eyes don't look infected. She gets more of this eye goo if it's sunny. I've never really thought of it as abnormal as she has always had it, just wanted to check if this is the same with other appy owners?

She has pink around her eyes, which I presume is one of the reasons she get's this goo. One of my friends horses has just been diagnosed with cataracts and it's made me think. Thanks

rowy

Visit site
My appy cross sometimes gets yellow Goo in the last few days but his is fro sore eyes as it gets colder and windier I think. He never got it before but just odd random days wen its cold.

quirky

Visit site
My pink skinned appiano used to suffer sore eyes in the summer and when windy.

I used to bathe them with cold tea when they were sore. If they did become gooey, or have a discharge, I would have the vet to him.

You can't be too careful with eyes imo.

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Yes, think she probably does have night blindness, she doesn't appear to see in the dark and is definately spooky in the dark.

I looked up this condition once though and got the impression from what I read that it's not treatable, will do further reading though. Her eyes/eyelids don't appear to be inflamed or cause her discomfort, she wears suncream (factor 50) and a full face mask in summer. She seems to see properly in the daylight, but just always has had a small amount of this goo.

I just wanted to see if anyone else's appaloosa's with pink around their eyes get this goo.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The old appy had pink round her eyes and never had goo, the currnt appy is quite dark round her eyes, which also do not have goo. Knew a few spot, with very pink eyes which never had a problem, I think I would get the vet to have a look. I have never heard of this being an appy problem.

Blaise

Visit site
My mare is Appy X and doesn't have runny/gooey eyes. I'd be very tempted to ask a vet, as an earlier poster said, you can't be too careful with eyes. I'm sure Appy's are more prone to Uveitis though so you do need to be careful.

Visit site
My boy is Appaloosa x Cob. His eyes get a bit runny when it is windy and I just clean them with baby wipes and he is fine.

Echo what everyone else has said though, and maybe get the vet to have a look if you are worried because Appaloosas can be prone to eye problems.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Mine doesn't, I think that sort of thing is hard to tell weather it is the breed of horse or individual.

I would ring the vet, perhaps send some pictures that way you don't have to pay for a call out unless its a problem and you can get some advice from the vet for free :)

Ozzie

Visit site
I have an appy with mottled skin around his eyes and a tb with white hair/pink skin around his eyes, and neither of them have this problem! Does she still do it if she has a fly mask on?

LazyS

Visit site
I have two apps and a quarter horse and when we had the vicious wind and rain recently they all had runny eyes. The QH has dark eyes and skin like any other horse so I don't think it is an appy thing. Last week I moved the youngest (yearling) to another (less windswept) field and he is fine now. Definitely seems to be weather related - as a lot of things are! They have all had full face masks on this year but not recently - as there seems to be less fly nuisance when its windy!

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Thanks to all replies.

Ive spoken to my friend who's a vet (who's seen her numerous times, looked after and ridden her etc) and she thinks it's like human sleep in her eye and nothing to worry about but will probably get vet to double check her when they next come out. Her eyes aren't cloudy or blue or anything and haven't changed colour in anyway or I would ring vet straight away.

Yes she still gets eye goo when she has mask on, it block out something like 80% of UV rays so I presume the 20% is still bothering her.

tuppence's fortune

Visit site
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...54494168_100000519423381_378941_6274518_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...01160780_100000519423381_378957_6622557_n.jpg

does your horses eyes look anything like mines does? mine has an over developed third eye lid on both eyes (the pink skin looking part in the corner of her eye) alot of appies get it and it can be hereditary. sometimes it doesnt weep and other times she will get green eye goo and discharge, i had my vet out and she told me it was nothing to worry about. but i would suggest a call out from your vet just to make sure. also a fly mask in warmer/sunny days that covers her eyes seems to work for mine. it might be worth a try for your until you have found out what the problem is (if any)
i hope i have been a little helpful for you x