Appaloosa's and showing classes.

eventer28

Visit site
I have a 4yo, 16hh, blanket spot appaloosa x TB mare that has been doing consistantly well in ridden youngster and coloured horse classes at local level. I would really like to enter some bigger shows with her. Are appaloosa's eligible to qualify for CHAPS? How would an appaloosa horse fair in riding horse classes?

scrat

Visit site
Your horse would not be eligble for registration with CHAPS as this if for "coloured" horses/ ponies only. I think at local shows they tend to ensure larger entry numbers for coloured classes by allowing appaloosas, palaminos and somtimes dun and roans to take part. I don't know which organisation you need but I think there is a british appaloosa society and others if you google. Hope this helps, good luck.

katelarge

Visit site
You can join the British Appaloosa Horse Society (BAPS) - TBs are one of the accepted outcrosses for appys, the others are Arabs and quarter horses. My Appy is in the main register, but you could get yours registered in the part-bred register?

The BAPS site is www.appaloosa.org.uk and there is also the British Appaloosa Horse Club www.aphcuk.org/info_horseregistration.htm.

BTW how is yours bred? Mine is by Kerney Dancer out of GB Blossom, and his grandsire is the famous Amazing Blue! Let me know what you know about yours!

eventer28

Visit site
Thanks for that.... She is supposedly a French-bred appy x TB, she is on the unknown breeding registry... I have looked into showking classes that are specifically for appaloosa's but they are few and far between.. SInce she is of unknown breeding does that mean I cant do these appaloosa showing classes... I used to show a hunter and he was of unknown breeding but could still do the "big" shows!!

Visit site
tes I think they are but you could also join the appaloosa society. I think an appaloosa would do quite well in riding club classes as it is not all about the coat colour in them classes. I have an appaloosa pony and I haven't ever done any showing with him yet but I think he would also do well in special appaloosa county classes at shows.

katelarge

Visit site
That's a good question. I know that to enter Appy classes at Melbourne show in Cambs you only have to be a BAPS member, which would mean you'd have your horse registered with them. I could put mine in the pure-bred classes. I suppose the difference is that hunter is a TYPE whereas Appy is a BREED? But then again, put a horse who isn't bred as an Appy but has spots against a Appy, and there's not much difference (OK, Appys do have breed standards though). Have you called BAPS? What do they say?

peanutpussycat

Visit site
Ring baps and have a chat. lovely people. most coloured classes wont have a spot in them. My friend just qualified her spot for HOYS as a Riding Horse. Few raised eyebrows in October me thinks!! great corformation, lovely ride. Come on guys, if you put them in the classes then they will have to take notice of them. A Spot Revolution!!!!!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
It looks like they do have Part Bred classes at the County Shows

Partbred Register

The last register is the Part-bred register one grand parent must be a registered Appaloosa and the other parent may be of any other origin. Animals of no known breeding or unproven breeding and over 14.2 h.h that displays all the Appaloosa characteristics of the breed e.g. spotted or other Appaloosa markings or characteristics e.g. mottled skin, other Appaloosa coat patterns, may be also be eligible for registration in the Partbred register.

Happyloosas

New User
Visit site
Hello all,

this is the post that finally convinced me to register instead of being a 'lurker' and log in!!

Of interest to any Spotty enthusiasts may be that the <span style="color:red"> British Appaloosa National is on this weekend at Hartpury College in Glos</span>. Run over two days with loads of inhand and ridden classes, dressage and jumping - just for appaloosas and part breds registered with the British Appaloosa Society.

Then, if that isn't enough spots for you........

The <span style="color:blue"> Appaloosa Horse Club of the UK (APHCUK) National is on NEXT weekend at Warwickshire College, Moreton Morrell</span> . LOADS of classes over two days, including classes for American Registered Appaloosas as well as those registered in the UK. Judges will be both English and American. Western classes including British Reining classes. Should be wonderful!

I will be at both shows - anyone interested in coming along and 'seeing spots' is welcome to come find me. PM for details.

For Eventer28 - you could also try Spotted Horse and POny Society who will register your horse if it has - well spots - regardless of breeding or height. IF you have a spotty that is under 14.2 then it is registered as a Spotted PONY or a British Spotted Pony and they have their own societies which I am unfamiliar with.

Oh, quick Hi to <span style="color:green"> Caismum </span> - glad you kept him and that you like the saddle
wink.gif
- (now she knows who I am!)

Cheers all.

Happyloosas

New User
Visit site
Just a quick addition to the above - both National Shows will have dressage, jumping and ridden classes in addition to in-hand classes and both will feature western classes.

This is a brilliant opportunity for anyone interested in any of these disciplines to come and have a look.

Jude