Appleby horse fair

shaddow2007

New User
Visit site
hi peeps, im new on here but i was looking at your posts, and i gotta say appleby is amazing i go every year for the week!

Alan
smile.gif
tongue.gif

shaddow2007

New User
Visit site
i seen that horse drownding, was horrible!:( after the man drowned the horse he was away like a shot, theres a manhunt for him now! hope they tourture him when they find him!!

herondell

Visit site
my partner went and is romany gypsy he has told me storys of appleby i would love to go so a few of us girls are going as he says its not right taking me with all the other fellas he is old fashioned like that,he was there on the saturday and sunday with his cousins he was told by others that see it that it was an accident the horse paniced and lost its footing and it was not the owner who took the horse but a young man,gypsys are not pikeys but wonderfull people there is good and bad in us all,all the years appleby has been going there has only been a small amount of accidents

Panther

Visit site
I have just seen your reply, by all accounts the horse was not deliberately drowned...... people who were actually THERE don't state that??
You also can not say 'ban it because horses are tied to wire fences' just as much SH*T goes on in private homes... you can't ban it because of a few...
I love all equines and wish for the best for all, we/I have 300 years proud family heritgage with horses but really you are talking nonsense...
Thankfully we don't live in a completely 'nanny' state yet.. but it's getting there... do gooders release pedos early because 'they' are the victims.. we are told we can't jump in our own fields without a license? and what we can and can't do.. it's getting quite ridiculous!!
I know your retort will be brash and undoubtidly from the heart but you seriously can't even geniunely think an event can be Banned because of such things??? Two young girls have died in Butlins lately shall we ban it???

Cobland

Visit site
I have been to appleby fair and i have found it an eye opener. I did not see any cruelty to horses, and infact some travellers took time to give me some tips.

They break horses in the water to prevent them from bucking etc. 3 of my horses have come from travellers and i have found them to be the best trained horses ever!

They have a gypsy trick for almost every problem!

Just like anywhere you get pricks. I was a fence judge at a XC event, seen a woman fall off, after she got up she started to slap the horse repeatedly with her whip. Blows were landing on the horses head, back, legs and then she starts kicking its stomach.

Any travellers i know have always been very good to their horses. I would never hesitate to buy a horse from a traveller again!

keeperscottage

Visit site
I'm amazed that not a single person challenged my comments in my earlier post re: Appleby about dressage horses and the unnatural life they lead! I am a true horse lover; I abhor cruelty to any animal (although I am a hunt supporter/follower!), but there is FAR more cruelty in the horse world than went on at Appleby........the number of race horses killed on the track, the number of race horses which end up unwanted.....failures....dog food....the "hidden" cruelty which takes place .... We have (among others!) a beautiful 9 yo, 13.3hh blue and white mare. We bought her to bring on and sell two years ago, but we soon discovered this lovely pony is terrified of people. What has someone done to her? I would never part with her for fear of what would happen to her if she left us. What terrible thing happened to this little mare to make her the nervous wreck she is now? What I'm trying to say is.....yes, it's terrible that a horse drowned at Appleby, but give a thought to all the other wasted equine lives, and the terrible lives some horses lead for the pleasure of their owners (ie, that dreaded word, dressage!). Almost forgot.....I used to know someone whose "other half" was kennel man for a hunt. She said it was heartbreaking to see so many local polo ponies turn up at the kennels, ponies which could have made decent light hacks, because of leg problems brought about by their polo playing. No one could be bothered to re-home them, so they ended up feeding the hounds. I rest my case.

Panther

Visit site
I agree with you keeperscottage! totally.. we have horses at advanced plus..ours go out in groups, are hunted, hacked...our friends won't turn theirs out! Won't even hack them!
Bloody ridiculous but it's down to pleasure, money and owners comfort zone!!
one doesn't turn out because they get dirty! one because they get bites and don't look nice... for heavens sake!!!

keeperscottage

Visit site
Glad someone agrees with me! I have one particular friend in the dressage world who cannot believe that we actually keep our horses at grass throughout the summer and actually RIDE them! "You can't ride a horse off of grass!!" WHAT!!!!!! Her horses over the years have always had something wrong with them.....we used to say that she liked them being lame/ill as it was an excuse not to have to ride them! The wife of one of our joint masters actually hunts her horse off grass - it lives out all year! We're getting off the Appleby theme here, but it all comes down to one thing and that is that this is only headline news because the people who report it are probably newspaper/TV reporters who grasp onto what is, without doubt, a tragic event, but who fail to bring to the fore what I describe as "hidden" cruelty, which passes unnoticed. I tar them with the same brush as the anti-hunt townies who take a "Disney" view of foxes.......I will stop here for fear of getting out of my tree completely!

Panther

Visit site
ohhh... yes... fox and the hound styly... been there done that got the tee shirt!

Perhaps we could start a PC page... (not Pony club) get murderers, sex offenders and so on freed and jail all smokers!!

ISHmad

Visit site
Keepers Cottage, that is awful hearing about the polo ponies going for slaughter. We have an ex polo pony who is fantastic. Her "job" was to be a confidence giver and boy is she that, and a whole lot more. She is currently teaching my OH to ride, who is a complete and utter novice and she is so careful with him. Okay her legs aren't the best, but with Riaflex Complete, regular reiki, bowen treatments and massage you would never, ever know it!

Has the "person" who killed the horse at Appleby been dealt with by the horse community yet?

keeperscottage

Visit site
Yes, ISH_Mad, I too have a friend with an elderly polo pony. He's never played polo on her, just a bit of "stick and ball" around the field, and she's basically just a hack. But this is what I mean about things that the general public are unaware of. Appleby is inthe public eye; the hunt kennels of this particular hunt aren't. Incidentally, I'm not slagging off the hunt (I'm a supporter!), I'm just using this as an instance of what goes on, in this case, with polo ponies from a particular yard. I wouldn't have known this went on if my friend (who also worked for the same hunt alongside her partner) hadn't told me. She found it heartbreaking. With regards to the Appleby guy, no, I don't know any more than you as to the outcome!