Applying deosect

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve decided to give it a try.
I know it’s watered down and you use a certain amount per horse but what’s the best way to apply?
Id intended to go all out and bath first but it’s blowing a gale so if I just brush then sponge it on? Does it have to be rubbed down to the skin or just lightly sponged over the hair?

meleeka

Visit site
I just make up the solution in a jug and sponge it on. I make sure i get it round fetlocks and ears as it prevents ticks. Do do a patch test first.

meleeka

Visit site
Oh good point! I hadn’t considered testing first ? that’s this afternoons plans out the window!
Do you find it works?

yes definitely, but It doesn’t last as long as they say. I’ve been going it every 10 days or so during the hot weather. None of mine have ever had a reaction, including one with sensitive skin, but I have heard of it before.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
yes definitely, but It doesn’t last as long as they say. I’ve been going it every 10 days or so during the hot weather. None of mine have ever had a reaction, including one with sensitive skin, but I have heard of it before.
10 days is good! A few days would be good!
Current spraying seems to last a few minutes.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I used it last year but to be honest, I didnt think it worked any better than anything else. I made up the solution and used a garden mister spray bottle to apply it

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I make it up in a spray bottle but I use a sponge to apply as otherwise I feel like I’m accidentally spraying things I shouldn’t including myself. I’m ultra cautious using it because it’s a proper insecticide and harmful to all insect life.

meleeka

Visit site
I make it up in a spray bottle but I use a sponge to apply as otherwise I feel like I’m accidentally spraying things I shouldn’t including myself. I’m ultra cautious using it because it’s a proper insecticide and harmful to all insect life.

yes I don’t fancy breathing it in myself which is why I sponge it on. Up until recently I’ve always worn gloves too but I ran out so have been without.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I figured I’ll sponge as my horses, although tolerate a quick spray aren’t keen really and I want to do it properly.
Doesn’t it stink! Like white spirit or something

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My partner has just come home and I mentioned this stuff, he’s absolutely horrified I’m putting it on animals. Apparently they stopped using it on the farm as an insecticide because it’s so awful (Cypemetherin, the active ingredient not actually deosect!)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My partner has just come home and I mentioned this stuff, he’s absolutely horrified I’m putting it on animals. Apparently they stopped using it on the farm as an insecticide because it’s so awful (Cypemetherin, the active ingredient not actually deosect!)

All effective pesticides have risks. The main risk of cypermethrin and other synthetic pyrethroids is that they are indiscriminate so will kill all insects including beneficial ones such as bees. It’s mainly a risk to the aquatic environment and insects. So using on crops for example is high risk, less so for a discreet application to a horse or other animal. Same with any flea, tick or lice treatment you might give an animal.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
All effective pesticides have risks. The main risk of cypermethrin and other synthetic pyrethroids is that they are indiscriminate so will kill all insects including beneficial ones such as bees. It’s mainly a risk to the aquatic environment and insects. So using on crops for example is high risk, less so for a discreet application to a horse or other animal. Same with any flea, tick or lice treatment you might give an animal.
That makes perfect sense!