Apprenticeship vs degree

xMoodyMarex

Visit site
I'm very stuck on which route to go down - I'm currently working as a veterinary nursing assistant/receptionist and have been offered to begin as a student veterinary nurse in September (as part of this, i'll attend college 1 day a week for the theory part of the training) Recently I've received an offer for a Veterinary Nursing Science degree at Hartpury College. I've worked very hard to get to this point, but I never thought I'd have a choice (I had already applied for Hartpury, long before being offered the student nurse job). I finished A levels a few years ago, so would be slightly older than most people going to uni.

I feel it would be sensible to stay on at the vets that I work at, and train there. However, there are lots of extra-curricular opportunities at Hartpury, such as volunteering at the equine therapy centre, helping with lambing and also volunteering within the canine hydrotherapy unit. I've also already made great friends from the interview day (who have also got onto the course) I've always been the 'newbie' through most of my life, and it would be nice to be in a situation where everyone else is in the same boat. As part of the degree, there's a 60 week work placement, so I'd still get lots of practical hands on experience.

Both have their pros and cons, and I'm very stuck! Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you :)

GinnyBells

Visit site
I'd say go for the Degree just because the way you've described it sounds like you are very excited at the prospect! Also having a degree will help you if you ever decide that you want to move onto another career path, as you could use it to show that you're 'academic' even if its not relevant to the job you're applying for:)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not sure which ,will the degree route leave you with a debt to pay off ?
Does the degree boost your earning power?

kc100

Visit site
Well the college qualification will not be as valuable as the degree because it will be a lower level of qualification. A degree will set you up for life meaning you can work pretty much anywhere - whereas the college qualification, if you are going for jobs that other people with degrees are going for then you are likely to find it much harder as normally they'd choose the more qualified person.

I'd say go with the degree, it will set you up for life in terms of going for jobs as you will always have that to fall back on. Plus university life is a brilliant experience and Hartpury looks like a brilliant place to study with many opportunities for you. But the downside to uni is the financial side of things, degrees are expensive and you will come out of uni with debt. So the main thing to weigh up is what your earning power is likely to be with a degree vs your earning power with the college qualification. Do veterinary nurses with degrees earn more than veterinary nurses with college qualifications?

Either way it sounds like you are going down a good path, best of luck with whatever you choose.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
I think it's up to you. I'm a vet student and have met and worked with vet nurses who have done both, and they're equally brilliant at their jobs. I think the big decider is whether you are happy with the debt of university, where you will actually be able to be earning money as an apprentice.

I think long-term it's much of a muchness - if you're dedicated you'll be great at your job either way, so just go down the route you think you'd enjoy most :)

Kadastorm

Visit site
Friend is doing the degree at Hartpury and is currently on her 60week work placement and as far as I am aware she is loving it and gaining an awful lot of experience so I would do the degree if I was in your shoes.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My friend is in exactly same position...but unfortunately she does not think she can afford to go to hartpury ....she can live with the student loans part, but with no help from her family she just does not think she can afford living away costs ..she has been offered a place too..

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Apprenticeship - it's a relatively low salary anyway and the concept of paying back a three year student loan at 9k a year just blows my mind.

ROG

Visit site
Which choice will make you the better Vet nurse?

Do not know if I have this wrong but it seems to me that the more hands-on one will do that

IMO there are too many with paper only quals who it seems the employers go for instead of those who have proven they can do the job

eahotson

Visit site
Would your college course be convertible to a degree later on? That way you could earn until you had finished college and will have a shorter time to borrow money as a uni student.The degree course does sound fabulous though.

rara007

Visit site
IME from having several nurse and student nurse friends, what's most important is you do what suits you. If you love the practical side of things but struggle academically don't push yourself into the degree and then get stuck not enjoying it, having to resit and getting debt. Does the degree offer you a BSc or still 'just' the RVN? (4 years of £9k fees?) I know some local vets who won't employ degree nurses- despite the fact their course is still massively practical!

popsdosh

Visit site
Which choice will make you the better Vet nurse?

Do not know if I have this wrong but it seems to me that the more hands-on one will do that

IMO there are too many with paper only quals who it seems the employers go for instead of those who have proven they can do the job

know a lot of businesses on the other hand will take on apprenticeship students before graduates as they have a more practical background. There are loads of university graduates sitting on tills at Tesco as in work you will invariably still have to start at the bottom when you graduate wereas those that dont are already climbing the ladder.

SO1

Visit site
I think the university degree will offer you more options if you decide to change career later in life but you may end up with a lot of debt.

Uni can be great fun and with opportunities to do research and more academic opportunities but it is going to be expensive.

Apprenticeships tend to be more practical than theoretical and degrees the other way round. An apprenticeship will also give you more exposure to the customer service element of vet nursing and working in a practice.

I know it is probably hard to decide now but if you think you might not be in vet nursing your whole career then go for the degree, if you are confident the vet nursing will be long term then maybe go for the apprenticeship.

xMoodyMarex

Visit site
Thank you so much for the posts and good luck wishes - very much appreciated :) In answer to the questions - I applied for the FdSc which is 3 years, the BSc does open up further options but realistically I don't think I'll be able to go to uni for 4 years, due to living expenses, so I decided not to apply for the full BSc (so would come out as an RVN plus hold an FdSc)

As far as I'm aware the college course can't be topped up/converted to a degree with further study. I enjoy both the practical and the theory side of things, which is making the decision harder! The main issue is the huge amount of debt though, which is kind of putting me off the degree. As far as I'm aware earnings are the same for diploma and degree qualified nurses. Although if I were to do an extra year and 'top up' to the full BSc, this would open up lots of other opportunities, I'd love to think that I wouldn't leave the vet nursing profession in the future, but I suppose it's always nice to have options available.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Just to say, a long time ago I chose to do a degree in nursing (human) rather than the RGN course at the time. I now muck horses out for someone as a very part time job. My degree is useless to me now. No one would be interested in it. Also the debt-having read the thread I would maybe re think and say take the route which will be more financially secure.

Clannad48

Visit site
I have a daughter in her final year of her degree and we have looked at what she will end up repaying. With regard to the debt you only start paying it back when you earn a certain amount - if you look at this site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes you will get an idea of what you will have to repay. As others have said a degree will give you more options in later life but you have to decide which route is best for you in the long run.

AlwaysWorried

Visit site
I'm an apprentice - engineering, so not quite the same thing, but nonetheless I do understand the problem of being faced with that choice! Personally I chose the apprenticeship because university debt is just ridiculous, and because knowing how to do the job can be just as important as knowing about the subject - the apprenticeship is giving me access to skills as well as knowledge. But that was just my decision, and I know people who went the other way and are enjoying uni very much.

PM me if you think I can help at all!