Apps for planning rides/finding bridleways

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Recently a bridle way I use quite a lot got fenced off. The gates are locked and only access is to walkers over a stile.
I *may have been in the wrong but it was very unclear as to where the correct path went so I followed hoof marks (lots of!)
I have no idea where it is supposed to go. Is there a good ap I can use for this and to look at other local rights of way? Something fairly simple?!

teapot

Visit site
Ordance Survey maps are your friend - buy the hard copy, then download the app. Each map should come with a code which you key in and voila it's on the app where you can plot routes, traack yourself etc.

You want the Explorer ones, orange topped :smile3:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use view ranger, it uses OS maps (you purchase them in tiles which living on the edge of two explorer maps is much better!) but tells you where you are too so you know if you are on the right path.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I usually check out routes on the definitive map which the county council has online. I fine it easier to check as they have all the types of ROW in different colours whereas with OS maps I'm always trying to look at slightly different shapes of green line.

phizz4

Visit site
Every council has a rights of way map. Bridleways can get downgraded to paths (has happened in the Manifold Valley) and the OS maps aren't always up to date or even right. Or try this site: www.rowmaps.com

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Viewranger is great, I followed a recommendation on here for the app, so thanks Ester and others :). I download the OS Explorer (1:25 000 scale) tiles as required. It'll track the route and you can see exactly where you are at all times on the display.

This is from Badminton 2018 last Thursday, when we walked over 6 miles :).

RHMeyxm.jpg

ester

Visit site
yup you can plan routes to follow, or track one so you can follow it again at another date. I have got a couple of trackings showing me going round and round in small circles trying to find the right bit of forest path!

supsup

Visit site
If you want a free option, you can check out the OS maps for free on bing maps (choose the os map layer/view) and print the area you want to ride in, or just use it to plan your hack. As you zoom in to the OS map view, you go from Landranger to Explorer resolution.
It's not available on mobile though, so may not be what you're after.

Batgirl

Visit site
For 19.99 a year you can have app and online access to ALL OS maps - you can follow others routes, you cna print of whatever section of map you need regardless of boundaries. Bargain I think

OWLIE185

Visit site
To check if it is a recorded bridleway on the definitive map of the area (the map that shows all recorded public rights of way) contact the definitive map officer of your local County Council . If they then nfirm it is a Bridleway then contact the local access department of your County Council and advise them that it has been obstructed. They will then sort it out for you.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Agree with Owlie above. Really, the only reliable map is the one held by the County Council. These should be easily viewed on their website, and most are parish by parish. OS maps are the next best thing, but not always 100%.

And if the bridlepath has really been blocked and shut, then make a huge fuss with the County Council. They should take enforcement action to have it opened again.

ester

Visit site
I do think we are a bit at cross purposes hence the differing responses, the OP asked for an app to check which path she was on/find other bridleways in the vicinity.
If she finds she is in the right spot then yes I would absolutely be checking the definitive map and following up the blockages.

Orangehorse

Visit site
But an App could easily be incorrect - haven't we all got lost using a SatNav?

Even the map on the County Council website will have a disclaimer, as there may be pending alterations and additions/removals being processed.

ester

Visit site
I have never found it to get my position incorrect (I have also found it useful for recording co-ordinates to record blockages), getting lost with a sat nav is quite different IME to getting lost with a GPS signal and a digital OS map, and the OP said she didn't actually know where she was going just following hoof prints so it would seem an easy starting point to me to work out if she is in the vicinity of going the correct way.

I just thought it worth pointing out perhaps why people had given different answers, I don't think anyone is wrong.

Coconuts

Visit site
Hi! I know this is a little bit of an old topic, however, would you find it useful if there was an app available - That's like Google maps (with directions for routes etc) available with all recorded bridle paths? This is a mobile app that's you could use either on your phone or your smart watch. Would that be of use to you all?

I would massively appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Visit site

Bernster

Visit site
You might be better posting a new thread coconuts as people either comment on the original or don’t like commenting on older threads.

It would be great to have a better app that is similar to or based on google maps. Same for truck navigation for Horseboxes as the ones around aren’t great either. But the fact that none currently exists makes me assume it’s too tricky or not worth the time/effort ?

I tried OS app and viewranger and didn‘t really get on with either of them. Plus they didn’t show the one bridlepath that is available in my local area.