Aqua Treadmills

Terribrown

New User
Visit site
Hi, has anyone any experience of using an Aqua Treadmill? Was it useful for your horse and do you use it for rehab or part of your general training program? Many thanks in advance

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Hi
It's sadly something I'm quite used to now (horse damaged suspensories in May) she has abd rehab on treadmill for 3months pre surgery and will be going back in a weeks time for rehab post surgery for a month.
It was great in my opinion- really lets your see what they are doing and shows any weaknesses up easily so these can be dealt with and managed, my mare looks great considering she on box rest and the treadmill has given her a fab topline which she has kept throughout surgery and rest period.
She will also go back once a fortnight/once a month dependant on funds once back in work to allow us to keep an eye on muscle development and movement.
It's great post injury as they can be worked but legs stay cool and also can create resistance by the water level so can strengthen without having to put extra load on the limbs by increasing paces

tiga71

Visit site
I took my youngster, 7 year green lad, for his sixth session today. He has had 2.5 months off as had to take his shoes off due to his feet breaking up. (Pulled off his fronts in the winter a lot due to fencing issue at old yard and in July there were just too many nail holes so took his shoes off to grow some decent hoof back).

So not for rehab but chiro recommended it for him to help him build up his core and 'put a leg in each corner', as she put it. Apparently a lot of eventers give their youngsters a weekly session for about 3 months to help them prepare for eventing. Builds them up nicely.

My chiro saw my gelding last week, after 5 sessions of treadmill and no other work, just 24/7 in large field, and said his core strength has improved considerably. So it definitely seems to be working for him.

His shoes are going on next week and we will start back to work and he will continue with weekly treadmill sessions till end of November I think. We are doing the Wobbleberry challenge so need all the help we can get.

SO1

Visit site
We have one on our yard, it is mainly used for horses on rehab or competition horses. However I used it last year when my pony got fat after he developed an escaping habit and kept getting into rested fields. So it was weight loss rather and fitness and rehab. It did help him lose weight in combination with riding and lunging. The only downside is that is not very cheap to use.

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
Used it for bilateral hind PSD treatment (nothing else done other than 3 months field rest, 3 months hacking & retired from jumping) definitely recommend!! Horse now sound & looked amazing. No transport currently or else would take him a few times a month!

PorkChop

Visit site
Haven't used one personally for my horses but know people that have and they really rate it.

However I have been told to be cautious of using them routinely for eventers (unless for rehab) because it can affect the way they tackle water jumps - don't know if that's true or not.

Used to take mine swimming when we had a facility nearby, great for getting them fit :)

Suziq77

Visit site
Haven't used one personally for my horses but know people that have and they really rate it.

However I have been told to be cautious of using them routinely for eventers (unless for rehab) because it can affect the way they tackle water jumps - don't know if that's true or not.

Used to take mine swimming when we had a facility nearby, great for getting them fit :)

I've also heard the warning about eventers and it affecting the way they jump into water - specifically their landing reflex but I also don't know if it's true. I read it on an eventing group thread about using water treadmills.

I only do up to BE100 so any jump into water is basically a step down rather than the bigger jumps you see at the higher levels.

Would be nice to know if there was any actual data (as opposed to anecdotes) on this

smja

Visit site

I've also heard the warning about eventers and it affecting the way they jump into water - specifically their landing reflex but I also don't know if it's true. I read it on an eventing group thread about using water treadmills.

I've not heard this before - please would you explain how it affects them? Interested to know as I'm considering it for my (possibly ex) eventer.