Arab blowing through nose - showing off - anyone else's

bluewhippet

Visit site
He does it when he is rounding up his field of donkeys. He has a couple of Jennies and foals to keep in order.

Especially if I am trying to ride him in the school while they are all gallivanting in the field next door, he assembles his arab credentials: prance, head carriage, tail carriage, trot, nose tasting the wind etc.

And then he does this fierce rasping blow through his nose. Sounds like his impression of a really **** hot Arab stallion…

Does anyone else's horse do this? Is it an Arab thing - or just an idiot horse of any breeds strutting their stuff?

bluewhippet

Visit site
Yes. I knew there would be a good Arab name for it: 'the dragon snort'. They are just comical creatures. So beautiful and graceful and such complete show offs. And mine is the most idiotic boy of them all - that is why he can only make the noise with baby donkeys and my little daughters.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My younger exmoor gelding does a very loud, short snort when he's on high alert- comes from higher up than just his nostrils if that makes sense- quite different to a regular snort. Lusitano also quite snorty.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My WB does that when he is alarmed by something. Every muscle in his body tenses, head goes up, tail is held up like a flag and he does a the dragon snort. I've been known to get off at this point.

He also always grunts when he is about to do something naughty or exciting.

furrycat

Visit site
Yes, it was a very short, sharp snort that my welsh mare did, unlike any 'normal' snorts - I was riding her during a 'controlled exercise' session during her box rest (ie she was very excitable!), she had just exploded then stopped, went rigid with head up and out came this bizarre snort! She isn't really a vocal horse normally but I've discovered since riding her when she was on box rest that she often emits a quiet little squeak before doing something REALLY naughty!

asommerville

Visit site
Yep my part bred Arab does this - mostly when hacking out shen he sees something he's not keen on - usually terrifying his hacking companions!!

Madam Min

Visit site
We dont know anything about my mares breeding she's possibly Anglo Arab X, last week I lunged her to give her a bit of a blast even though she's ridden everyday, our fields are too boggy for her to go out. She certainly had fun, showing off her Arab traits, airs above ground+growing to 18hh (she's 15.1hh!!). She rounded it all off by stopping right in front of me+giving the loudest snort ever!!

Shady

Visit site
yep, my Arab does it, scared the life out of me the first time, thought he was going to explode, does this amazing mane tossing thing too( soooo gay!)
Mr P gets jealous and tries to snort too but we just stand there and go ' ah, pathetic effort , stick to your sheath farts( horrid horse!).

Mrs G

Visit site
My WB does that when he is alarmed by something. Every muscle in his body tenses, head goes up, tail is held up like a flag and he does a the dragon snort. I've been known to get off at this point.

He also always grunts when he is about to do something naughty or exciting.

This is me and mine exactly; dragon snort = uh oh, grab neck strap quick!

maisie06

Visit site
Welsh Cobs do this too - the dragon snort, once this happens you know they are on "planet welsh" and you just have to wait it out!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I remembered that I have this video from a while back (my TB was still alive then and my gelding was young and gangly) of my grey snorting at the camera and getting snot all over me. Charming and ladylike, isn't she? ;) :p

I hope the link works.

Maybe this is a universal horse thing and not just an arab thing? I have always wondered if it's to clear out the nostrils just incase the horse needs to make a swift exit?