Arab - Russian/Crabbet/ideas

Hackback

Visit site
I so enjoyed reading about and googling the stallions on LadyGascoyne's breeding thread and I thought some of you knowledgeable lot might be able to give me some advice too.

If I wanted to buy a young Arab backed or unbacked from a reputable source where could I look? I always thought it would have to be a Crabbet again but I was led down a rabbit hole looking at Russian lines and I really like them too, although I couldn't find any UK breeders, but maybe Google just can't cope with 'Russian' not meaning the country.

I don't like SEs or anything too fine. I don't mean to offend any fans of that type but I'm quite tall, not interested in showing and I'd like my next partner to do the same job as my current one, which is mainly hacking (including 'extreme' hacking eg a day out on a moor with an ordnance survey map), pleasure rides, hunting and long beach gallops. So I'm looking for something with a bit more substance and I also don't like the extreme dished faces.

It's quite hypothetical at the moment as my current (76% Crabbet) Arab is possibly going to be looking for an easier life, but I'll know more after our next vet visit in 6 weeks.

Any suggestions most welcome ?

Flame_

Visit site
IIRC, my last arab was pretty much Crabbet/ Russian. I bought him via an agent but he was from Al Waha Arabian Stud. He was a gorgeous, genuine boy but I lost him to colic when he was 9. :(

Current arab is from Phoenix Field in Cornwall and his breeding is more mixed (US/Polish/Crabbet...). He's not as generous and he's sharper, but he is a brilliant, tough riding horse, and he has a cool, strong personality. They do breed Crabbets there too, I think.

ETA Neither horse is/ was the all legs, seahorse head, vertical tailbone type.

Last edited:

dunthing

Visit site
My granddaughter had an almost pure Crabbet gelding, he was about 87.9% and the other bit came from Skowronek the Polish stallion. He was smallish, about 14.2 but a sweet, steady boy who looked after her well. She lost him at 26years old. He got stuck in a ditch and gave up fighting. Most of his breeding seems to be chestnut with a white lightning flash on or under the belly.

palo1

Visit site
The Bahraini Arabs are wonderful - working types with superb temperaments and this UK stud has lovely youngstock for sale. http://www.pearlislandarabians.co.uk/ I think the website isn't really up to date but they are lovely people and easy to contact via fb I think. Their horses compete in several disciplines and the stud itself is a wonderful place to visit!!

paddy555

Visit site

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Coombe Farm in Devon breed some lovely Arab's.

There was a lovely youngster on Arabian lines bred by Kerry Wilson in Hertfordshire but I think his sold now but might be worth asking if she has anything else.

JoannaC

Visit site
Can't think of any Russian breeders off the top of my head. I like the Crabbet/Polish mix myself. Daphne Cocksedge of Romac stud breeds some proper chunky types with really lovely temperaments. Not sure if she has anything this year though as she had an accident and her stallion and some mares have gone to the Plaister Foundation. Vlacq Stud is another who breed some lovely Crabbet type. Whereabouts are you?

TwyfordM

Visit site
Zenith Arabians (they’re on Facebook) have a few mares that throw out bigger/chunkier types. My friends one from there is 15.2 and solid as they come ? lives off thin air, he’s almost comparable to a native in terms of hardiness and food needs ? definitely good breeders thanks give their youngsters good starts and won’t just sell to anyone. Friends does endurance but he’s a good little jumper, could do a solid dressage test and would be great out showing. They’re very much allrounders

Cloball

Visit site
There's Seren in Cumbria that focus on crabbet and old English lines and it might be worth looking at Overwitlaw not russian or Crabbet particularly but they have some lovely tall useful all-rounder types without the extreme features.

Hackback

Visit site
Thank you everyone for so many suggestions. You have pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of them. I really like the Al Waha horses, but any of them would do. And Bremervale Emperor is just exactly the type I like.

I'm in Yorkshire @JoannaC but I'd go pretty much anywhere if I was excited about seeing one.

Just got to work out how to save this thread now!

Hackback

Visit site
I think Al Waha has closed hasn't it? Which is a shame as their horses were lovely!

Gutted - that was my favourite so far.

Halsdon Arabians Winkleigh devon, I hear a lot are being sold off (ignore website ) but worth an email/call.

Thank you. I had a look at the website anyway but I didn't like the heads on their horses. No offence meant, it's just my personal preference.

There is a very nice young mare on Arabianlines with some Russian blood.

Is this the black one? I do like her but she is only 14.2 and her advert on their website says she is better suited to being a family horse (after saying how successful she was when shown) and needs a lightweight rider. A 'family horse' would suit me and I'm 60 kg so wouldn't class myself as heavy but not sure I'm lightweight either. And maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but I did wonder if there was a soundness issue.

HashRouge

Visit site
Height is always a bit tricky with Arabs! My share horse is 15.3hh and I have to say wouldn't be my first choice as he does have a slightly sea horsey face, but it's nice to ride a tall Arab and he does have a lovely way of going.

There is quite a smart grey colt for sale on Horsemart at the moment, I think from Zenith Arabians, who looks like he'll be tall. I'd probably be taking a trip to Coombe Farm if I was looking to buy, or Seen Arabians.

Hackback

Visit site
Chestnut - 14.3, she is lovely, well worth a look. She is on the FB Arabianlines rather than their website..
Thank you. I'd completely forgotten they were on FB but now I remember, that's what killed the forum. I see it's now private too so I have had to request to join. Excited ?

Hackback

Visit site
Height is always a bit tricky with Arabs! My share horse is 15.3hh and I have to say wouldn't be my first choice as he does have a slightly sea horsey face, but it's nice to ride a tall Arab and he does have a lovely way of going.

There is quite a smart grey colt for sale on Horsemart at the moment, I think from Zenith Arabians, who looks like he'll be tall. I'd probably be taking a trip to Coombe Farm if I was looking to buy, or Seen Arabians.
Oh I've seen him. He is lovely although I'd like to see a better photo that included his legs and a side on shot of his face. He's tall and sounds to have a lovely temperament, perfect. I expect he will be sold by the time I know what I'm doing though.

My own boy (also grey, I really didn't want another grey ...) is 15 hh and that's enough, but taller would be nice. But I've ridden 13 hand natives who took up my leg better so I'm not fixated on height, just a fine small one won't do.

Hackback

Visit site
There is a taller bay mare on AL from racing lines that looks quite a nice type.
I saw her too (assuming this is the website and not FB) but she sounds like a serious endurance prospect which would be wasted on me. I also think she'll be snapped up before I know what I'm doing.

I'm really hoping my horse will be declared fit and sound and able to carry on normal duties, but I think I'll be lucky if that happens.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just looked on Coombe Farm CF Viola is lovely 2018 grey mare, and they have a chestnut yearling filly by Psyches Spirit he is such a gorgeous stallion have always liked him ❤

Hackback

Visit site
I just looked on Coombe Farm CF Viola is lovely 2018 grey mare, and they have a chestnut yearling filly by Psyches Spirit he is such a gorgeous stallion have always liked him ❤
I like Viola but her head is a bit too dished for me. I love the chestnut yearling though, she is gorgeous.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Coombe Farm bred a beautiful chestnut mare Ianthe she was owned by Lee Bennett and ridden by Harriet Podd, I absolutely loved her and saw her compete a lot at the Arab shows she won so much, Google her and have a look I dont think she is related to the filly but gives a good example of what they breed.

HashRouge

Visit site
Combe Farm seem to be standing Psyche Spirit and Mukhtar Ibn Eternity - now that is exciting! I really love Mooky but he's so small, I can't imagine any of his foals would be big enough for me.