Arabs and Dressage - realistic levels?

{123756}

Visit site
I never intended to buy my Arab filly (Fell in love with her temperament and everything just happened) but I want to compete and ride dressage to a relatively decent level. I know Arabs aren't really dressage horses but I figured with a good trainer and hard work we could get somewhere and affiliate even if its not as high as I wanted. Now several people are telling me that its not going to happen and that warmbloods will be completely favored over my Arab if I do manage to compete with her.

Not really discouraging (actually its making me want to prove people wrong) but wanting a realistic expatiation and unbiased opinions on what Ill be able to do with my very well breed Arab.
Or if anyones seen Arabs out competing dressage, what level test were they riding?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They are talking rubbish there are quite a few Arabs competing at the higher levels in this country try and in Europe and they are doing well, I have 2 Arabs they both do ridden showing and my instructor who does affiliated dressage with his horse has said one of mine would be capable of going up the levels in dressage, it's probably me that would hold him back I can just about do a preliminary test lol!

some Arabs are not always built correctly to do top level dressage so they would find it difficult as would a lot of other breeds, but until you try you will never know so I would find a good trainer and see how you go.

where are you based I may be able to recommend someone ?

being nosy as well how is your horse bred?

{123756}

Visit site
They are talking rubbish there are quite a few Arabs competing at the higher levels in this country try and in Europe and they are doing well, I have 2 Arabs they both do ridden showing and my instructor who does affiliated dressage with his horse has said one of mine would be capable of going up the levels in dressage, it's probably me that would hold him back I can just about do a preliminary test lol!

some Arabs are not always built correctly to do top level dressage so they would find it difficult as would a lot of other breeds, but until you try you will never know so I would find a good trainer and see how you go.

where are you based I may be able to recommend someone ?

being nosy as well how is your horse bred?

Thats great to hear, nice to hear positives rather then keep getting stick for having an arab for dressage. From how she moves in the field her paces are incredible so im sure shell grow into a lovely little mare. Im in the south east area, am looking to get gabby lucas out for regular lessons until i can break in my filly.
Ill get a hold of her passport for you and send over her breeding.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thats great to hear, nice to hear positives rather then keep getting stick for having an arab for dressage. From how she moves in the field her paces are incredible so im sure shell grow into a lovely little mare. Im in the south east area, am looking to get gabby lucas out for regular lessons until i can break in my filly.
Ill get a hold of her passport for you and send over her breeding.

at least you have someone in mind for lessons, she sounds really lovely I love they way Arabs move they always look so elegant and light on their feet, Maria Pook who does a lot of ridden Arab showing has an article in the arabian magazine about Arabs and dressage if you Google it you should be able to find it, look forward to seeing how she is bred:)

{123756}

Visit site
at least you have someone in mind for lessons, she sounds really lovely I love they way Arabs move they always look so elegant and light on their feet, Maria Pook who does a lot of ridden Arab showing has an article in the arabian magazine about Arabs and dressage if you Google it you should be able to find it, look forward to seeing how she is bred:)

http://thearabianmagazineonline.com...-dressage-arenas-an-interview-with-maria-pook
This is very encouraging!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
In the past Arabs have done well in show jumping and dressage - but that was in the days before warmbloods and probably also when the Arabs were rather more "chunky" than they are now. I found a photograph of one of the original Crabbet Arabs imported into the UK and he as a very strong looking chap, very square and with a beautiful well set on head. No wonder they were so popular compared to the vanners and hunters available years ago.

wench

Visit site
If the horse enjoys the job then there is no reason why he/she cannot go up the levels.

If you ride a prelim test better than a warmblood, you will get a better score. It's not a showing class.

Granted once you get to the higher levels you will be at a disadvantage compared to something purpose bred, but that goes for any discipline

Micropony

Visit site
Oh people talk such rot, "x breed can't do dressage, you must have a warmblood". The honest truth is that if we have a healthy horse without any significant conformation problems that make life especially difficult for them, for most of us normal leisure riders we will be the only constraint on what our horses will achieve. Our talent, our investment in training, our hard work, our consistency and self discipline etc are the limiting factors usually, not the horse's capabilities. If you were aiming for GP then yes, you probably would want a WB, but at the lower and mid levels you see all sorts. At the lower levels if it's forward, accurate and correct you'll get the marks, flashy paces are neither here nor there and most normal riders can't sit on them anyway. And there are plenty of non-WBs with flashy movement. And I say that as a WB owner! Like you, OP, I bought this one for temperament, and I am not disappointed!

scats

Visit site
My 14hh coloured cob X regularly beats warm bloods at dressage!

And I had an Arab when I was a teenager who was arguably one of the best show jumpers on the north west circuit in the 90s.

I also have a very well bred ISH who I brought to event, who has navicular and is largely useless..! (But I love him)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I spent some time training with Gareth Hughes (was selected for dressage team for Rio but horse went lame). Prior to him coming to the UK he used to show arabs in either Aus or NZ, cant remember which and he said it was laughable how little is done with arabs in this country. His showing involved dressage to PSG level and SJ to 1.40m (very different to our showing). So yes, arabs can do the higher levels but due to inaccurate perception in UK they are not aimed at it generally.
Get a good trainer and go for it.

Tapir

Visit site
How did you find getting to that level? Did you feel like your Arab had a lot more to give or was he struggling with the movements or collection at this point?

TBH I've never ridden at a higher level than that so I was pretty much learning too so I'm not sure I can really answer you. I wouldn't have said he was finding anything particularly difficult though. He was a crabbet arab so a bit more substantial than some and a very quick learner. We only started dressage completely from scratch about 18 months before we did our first elementary.

I haven't had another arab since because I've never found one to match up to him - he also jumped up to about 3'6" and was the most chilled out arab I've ever met!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Well... I've got an OTTB who's currently getting mid 60's at PSG and I intend to go all the way with him...

Yes we will always get beaten by the horses who can do the work AND have the paces. But we do very well based on the fact he is schooled correctly and moves smartly and the test is ridden accurately.

Arabs tend to be flatter over their croup and quite straight through the hind legs, coupled with the high short neck... Getting them working over the back and taking weight behind would be (I imagine) the biggest challenge. But there's no reason as to why you can't give it everything you've got?

I smile remembering the rubbishy comments someone who thankfully I have nothing to do with anymore, said about Fig. Hope they have fun watching him kick ass at a level they've longed for :)

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have a 6yo arab who was backed last year and has spent this year hacking and playing at a bit of all sorts. My end aim with her is to train towards dressage - at the moment, even at the base level we are at now, I can see getting to medium should be quite achievable - and hopefully we will go further than that. She is quite a large girl, and has a very active hind leg, which I am spending all my time dialling down rather than firing up at the moment ;)

Some arabs do not have the conformation for the work - but then there are some of all breeds that are not designed for the work. I think it depends on what you are looking for to a certain extent. I am mainly interested in the training side, and any competition will be there only as an occasional marker of how our training is progressing. As NMT says - correct training will win out! My older mare, just retiring from competition, is very definitely NOT dressage designed, yet through correct and careful training, she has still competed to medium and scored 70% at all levels.

OP - the skys the limit as to the level you can reach with you arab. I have a friend on FB who was at the BD Winter Champs at PSG a couple of years ago on her purebred arab. I think the key with arabs is to keep the work varied and interesting - their brains work way to quick and will generally be working on their next humorous plan ;). Get a good trainer and see where you end up :)

CoachinaCar

Visit site
Mine was not quite pure bred but I took him to Inter 1 level, he was successful at PSG but did struggle at Inter 1 as found full canter pirouettes hard although could manage half pirouettes.

Wouldn't train another for serious dressage but adored mine and learnt so much from him.