Are all coloured ponies for sale lame?

lostmymarbles

Visit site
OK a huge sweeping generalised statement, this is a tongue in check, bit of a moan, but do have freshly made popcorn available ( feel free to add suitable smiley I can't find out how to do them....)

Looking for a pony about 14hh, backed but in need of bringing on, not a huge budget available, but plenty of experienced help at hand if pony is purchased.

Have been for 2 viewings, asked all the right questions before arranging viewing, told ponies are sound never had any problems.

Last Sunday in that horrible weather did a round trip of 160 miles with a young child in the car. Lovely coloured pony, who ticked all the boxes until walked and trotted up, really odd action behind and definitely lame:(

Yesterday found another closer to home, again, sounded and looked ok, until I looked at the teeth, now way was it 5, much more like 3, walked and trotted up, really odd action behind and lame:(

Not particularly looking for a coloured, just a nice natured genuine, but NOT LAME pony, the cost of fuel traveling to see them is cutting into my budget, and fortunately had decided not to take instructor on the first visits with me or would have been even more out of pocket.

So, do you think is would be reasonable to ask for a video of any more I may go and see, being walked and trotted up before I venture out of the house again (a video sent to my phone perhaps?) Am now also considering vetting and bloods even on at a price I wouldn't normally consider it. or just not bothering!

Not only do I feel annoyed about wasting my time and money travelling I feel really sorry for these ponies who so obviously have problems.

Salted or sweet popcorn available on request!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
How frustrating doing all that just to see a lame pony! I would ask for video footage however this isn't going to guarantee the pony is sound when you get there. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there just wanting to make quick money who hope that a potential buyer won't spot any issues.

Don't really have any suggestions that would help other than to try putting the word around local riding schools, yards, tack shops etc in the hope that somebody knows of something nice.

Hopefully you'll have some better viewings soon. :) x

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
No theyre not all lame but......although there are lovely coloureds around, they are also the speciality of those for whom horses are a cheap and expendable commodity and who are happy to break them at 18 months and sell them as a four year old and other old tricks.

I would say on balance that you are going to get better odds of not being sold a line by looking at solid coloured horses instead, just because they arent so favoured by those above.

I would absolutely invest the ££ on vetting and bloods. Even more so if the horse is inexpensive.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I think one of the reasons that people buy youngsters is because they should be less likely to have any lameness problems, so it must be frustrating to keep going to see them. But I also think that asking for videos and someone not being able to actually do them (not everyone has that ability) may lose you a nice pony so you really need to make sure you tell them how far you're travelling and ask the right questions etc.
I have one that fits all your criteria, perfectly, but I'm not sure I could sell her as she is a star....is this the sort of thing you're after?
025.jpg

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
You sound just like my friend who is looking!

She wants a ccoloured, but she's looked at three non-coloured (same spec as you - young-ish, or meant to be, needs bringing on, low-ish budget), and they've all been lame!

lostmymarbles

Visit site
Thank you some good advice given and taken onboard!

Holly Hocks your pony is lovely, just the sort of stamp I am looking for, but it can come in any colour!

lady_annabelle

Visit site
I have one but she's to big I would be really frustrated if I went to view one and it was lame. I also would arrange viewings for mine if she was lame and if she came in lame etc would ring person straight away

mightymammoth

Visit site
I think one of the reasons that people buy youngsters is because they should be less likely to have any lameness problems, so it must be frustrating to keep going to see them. But I also think that asking for videos and someone not being able to actually do them (not everyone has that ability) may lose you a nice pony so you really need to make sure you tell them how far you're travelling and ask the right questions etc.
I have one that fits all your criteria, perfectly, but I'm not sure I could sell her as she is a star....is this the sort of thing you're after?
025.jpg

what a lovely horse

zoelouisem

Visit site
I saw a 13.1 sounded perfect got there groomed, tacked up ladies kid got on walked round started trotting looked lame, I said to lady she said its always like that and I said well that makes it worse I walked away then before my daughter got on. Lovely little skewbald he was. I wasn't looking for a coloured pony but quite excited about the fact I was looking at one. I've now found a lovely bay who I've been lucky enough to have on trial for 2 weeks and have just bought.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Where are you based? I know a 5 year old coloured up for sale, backed, needs bringing on, who isn't lame! PM me if you're interested.

lannerch

Visit site
If your after a sound horse then stop looking at colour and start looking at the horse whatever the colour.
I have noticed frequently that horses a pretty colour are commonly not as strong as those solid traditional colours, some will be but anything bred for colour not soley performance and confirmation then you are taking a risk!