Are all men like this?

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I greatly appreciate my dearly beloved :rolleyes: but men definitely have a different approach to horses............or is it just mine? This is what I have observed:

1. A man expects a horse to stand completely still whilst being tacked up. This includes not moving it's head...at all. Any form of movement will be met with loud "stand still won't you"...even though you are next door and can hear that the horse has not moved its feet an inch.

2. Hoof picks...only used by men if horse appears to be not quite sound. They will then ferret around the feet looking hopefully for a stone.......still shouting stand still if poor horse dares to move. Hoof picks more likely to be used for fixing electric fence fixings to wooden posts.

3. Straps of any kind such as throat lashes, girths, flashes to be done up as tight as possible.

4. You cannot expect a man to remember which rug a horse had on last year....saying the blue Fal or the green Masta is no help eith. The only way to ensure the correct rug is on the right horse is to place it on the stable door.

Can anyone add any more?

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine cannot get the difference between a pony and a horse so my pony is just called a baby horse!

A numnah is a numpty!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
When asked to bring in my black mare, he had to ask someone else if he had the right horse.

This was despite having been at the yard with her almost daily for 4 years.

Antw23uk

Visit site
No, not all men are like that! :p

I do have a pet hate for screeching people ... if a horse/ pony even moves they immediately go to a level ten reaction (shouting/ screeching) ... it infuriates me! :mad: We have a family at the yard who do it. Pony has to only look in the wrong direction and they are shouting at the poor thing! :mad:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My oh cant even work out how to put a headcollar on let alone a bridle, would never let him take off or put on any rug what so ever, and he is not a dumb human being he runs several very sucessfull companies and is a very intelligent person if baffles me !

Mr Nick

Visit site
Really?
now I do get that this was supposed to be funny but can you imagine the outrage if a man had written something along the lines of women are essentially t***s around horses??

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
"Which one is the new one then?"

Horse owner's OH looking into the field containing two horses. Yes, they're both chestnut with 4 white socks and a white stripe on the face, but the new horse was a cob cross gelding with legs like tree trunks and a gigantic head, whereas the one they already had was a TBX mare, which he had regularly turned out himself!

cauda equina

Visit site
A while ago I told my OH that I was wooried about my old boy and thought that he might need the vet .

OH didn't say anything , just laughed ...

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Really?
now I do get that this was supposed to be funny but can you imagine the outrage if a man had written something along the lines of women are essentially t***s around horses??

It is tongue in cheek...but also true. My OH does loads for me and he does ride....but sometimes I have to count to 10...or 20......

Capriole

Visit site
1. A man expects a horse to stand completely still whilst being tacked up. This includes not moving it's head...at all. Any form of movement will be met with loud "stand still won't you"...even though you are next door and can hear that the horse has not moved its feet an inch.

No. Man's ideal scenario is he doesn't tack up his horse, I do, so he doesn't care if they stand still or not :p

2. Hoof picks...only used by men if horse appears to be not quite sound. They will then ferret around the feet looking hopefully for a stone.......still shouting stand still if poor horse dares to move. Hoof picks more likely to be used for fixing electric fence fixings to wooden posts.

True

3. Straps of any kind such as throat lashes, girths, flashes to be done up as tight as possible.

No. Refer to point 1.

4. You cannot expect a man to remember which rug a horse had on last year....saying the blue Fal or the green Masta is no help eith. The only way to ensure the correct rug is on the right horse is to place it on the stable door.

True.

One I can add.

Don't send 'Man' back home to pick up a different bridle as the one I thought would fit new horse, didn't. My fault, me asking for XF brown hunter bridle didn't narrow it down enough to precise location on the racks, and he came back with several bridles. 'They're all Bl@@dy brown hunter bridles' he says. Yeah but I wanted an XF one my dear ;)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My husband is very good with the horses, taking complete care of them while I'm away (at least 12 days a month), despite not having much experience before meeting me (he was well trained and had great backup if need be). Sometimes I think he is almost better than me (and I worked with horses for years!) as he doesn't fuss and worry so much.

My mother, on the other hand, despite being around me having horses for 30+ years, cannot tell which of our horses I am riding (one is a 17h chestnut gelding, the other a 16h bay mare).

Suziq77

Visit site
My friend's husband went down to the field to catch her horse - a bay TB who she's owned for 8 plus years and husband has spent a lot of time with him over those 8 years. Husband comes back horseless, just wanted to check which one (of the two in the field) was hers. The other was a coloured cob, lol :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
My OH is the best, a mine of information and keeps me sane if I'm worried about the horses, has forgotten more than I've learnt, but doesn't know who's tack is who's, luckily all my tack is tagged with phone numbers and horses name

BellaBoyzie92

Visit site
My OH was petrified of horses when we first met 5 years ago, after dragging him up the yard for the first time he was leading big man out to the field all by himself by the end of afternoon, he was rather proud of himself! As was I, OH is only 5ft7(ish) and pony is 17hh lol :)
He used to go up the yard for me in the evenings to feed/water/hay when they were out 24/7 and I was on a late shift.
Boyzie used to bully him though, and he wouldn't discipline him as he was a 'sensitive soul' -.- he's 3/4 tonne of beast. He needs a telling off sometimes.

Polonaise

Visit site
Used to ask OH to help at shows, interestingly horse that is otherwise pain in the arse to handle is fine for him, but one slight problem...every time I turn around saying "can you hold/pass/take this" he's nowhere to be seen, usually later located in the cab with a book and his seatbelt on thinking it's hometime. Not sure he coped with the concept of eventing where I ride 3 times then wait for results.
Interestingly the concept of me taking him motor racing is easy, I drive the trailer, work out where we're going, build the tent, hold things and say "there there" when the car breaks, time his laps, try to make intelligent comments about his driving, laugh at the chap who's trying to reverse his car out of a horsebox....actually that looks sounds like a great way to get your OH to contribute to horsebox running costs...
Then again he does do all the cooking, washing up and dog walking so shouldn't moan too much ;)

Highlands

Visit site
My dad is not keen will stroke them... Just . Once before I could drive he took me to a show spent the whole day hiding pretending he was not there and if I did extract him he spent the whole time say whoa whoa... Pony was asleep...

windand rain

Visit site
my oh after nearly thirty years of training is wonderful with the horses. He doesnt know the detail but he can do rugs, headcollars bridles saddles feed and turnout and bring in the ponies. I couldn't do wthout him he drives the lorry or tow car and trailer, He ostensibly afraid of them but will do anything he can to make life easier for me and poo picks the field and today we went for a trailer load of hay which he stacked in the barn. All this isnt easy for him as he had brain surgery a few years ago and is in constant pain and has arthritis in his hands but he helps without complaint. It does occasionally annoy me that he likes to show the ponies in hand but expects them clean, in correct condition to win and tacked up ready for him to take in the ring and win the rosettes but if it is what makes him happy then so be it I actually like the background jobs and am proud of him for trying

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
My OH had no previous horsy experience and now part owns 2...a saying amongst us Exmoor enthusiasts is that exmoor ponies come in herds and this appears to be fairly true! OH didn't used to notice when another little brown thing with a mealy muzzle appeared in one of the fields (often keep them split in groups of 2 or 3 and rotate field mates) so it was fairly easy to buy new ponies and convince him that said pony had been around for aaaageees...HOWEVER...imagine my disgust when all the Exmoors were turned out together in a 9 acre field and OH CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED EACH ONE (with correct reasons why he knew which was which!) at a good distance!!! No more secret pony buying/hoarding for me anymore ;(

Ps he still put the headcollar on his favourite one upside down the other day

shadowboy

Visit site
My husband is totally the opposite! He's incredibly patient and quiet with the horses and very good with tacking them up and he loves grooming them and fussing them :) he's better than me!

Patterdale

Visit site
Mine is incredibly laid back around the horses - bit too much. Asked him to bring 2 in for me once when I was ill and he arrived in the yard 10 mins later riding the quad bike, leading one and with the other just following loose (had travelled approx quarter mile down the lane like this).

He was so so pleased with his new time saving method and couldn't see what the problem was.

He makes me laugh though :D

Whoopit

Visit site
I get it's meant to be a bit of fun but I'm offended for my other half. He's not horsey but if I need him he's always there to help and does his very best, which is good enough for me when I've asked for help, with no detriment to either horses welfare.

vam

Visit site
M oh is fab, didnt know a thing about horses before he started going out with me but can now tack up, groom, do rugs, knows bits of tack, comes with me to show etc and after years of watching my lessons is a very good sub teacher.
But every now and again he slips, he very rarely goes up the yard without me as im one of those that does everything myself however one morning i had an appointment so he said he would turn out as he wanted to (has a real soft sopor for my boy and considers him 'our' horse) anyway he phoned me when he was at the yard and said what rug do you want on, i said not to bother putting one on as its nice and he can go naked. Got to the yard later and one of my friends said they took his fleece off that he had on in the field and wondered if there was a reason he had it on?! When i asked my oh he said 'well i didnt even notice he had one on and you said not to put one on, nothing about taking one off'. I couldnt really argue with that logic but to be fair he does know the different between indoor and outdoor rugs and the blue rug on the chestnut isnt that hard to notice.
I can forgive him as it very rare for him to make a blooper and is fab all the other times. His habit for giving things alturnative names does cause confusion. Fly veils are Batman hats, bridles are headcollars....

Clodagh

Visit site
My OH is fab, he doesn't like horses - he is a farmer so sees them as non productive parasites - but he will always get them in for me, hold them for the vet, makes hay for me and stacks it in the barn. Repairs the fencing - but does complain about it! - he is great. So yes, mine can put a headcollar on and even poultice a hoof!

*sprinkles*

Visit site
My hubby was completely non horsey before he met me. Hadn't even touched a horse before. I'm so grateful for the effort he's put in to learn and help. He's really amazing !! Buuuuut .... He cannot learn the name for any piece of equipment. It's four years later and he's still puzzled by terminology despite being at the yard several times a week and helping me tack up etc. A girth is still a belt, a rug is still a jacket and a forelock is still a fringe. He makes me laugh though and I have the sneaking suspicion that he knows perfectly well what everything's called and only makes up his own names for things to make me giggle !! :D

pennyturner

Visit site
My OH still can't tell mine apart. After 16 years, I'm still told it was 'one of the brown ones', which describes everything from a piebald shetland to a dark bay welsh D, or even one of the greys or the blue-roan. It does at least rule out the creamy palomino, which is 'the white one'.

He is, however, very relaxed about them. He doesn't fret if they've invaded the lawn, and is quite capable of calling the children to catch them, fix the fences etc!