Are all riders skinny then??!

Cornish

Visit site
I've just got off the phone to some local riding centres, and am now feeling both lardy and unacceptable to the equestrian world! I would consider myself a fairly experienced rider, have ridden for 19 years, owned my own horse for 8 who I compete at local level, hack, hunt etc. I have previously taken BHS exams and ridden up to stage 2 level but stopped due to financial commitments. Now, a few years later I thought I would treat myself to some more lessons on different horses (I have lessons on my own at home, but have recently moved to a different yard and don't currently have any transport - living in the depths of Cornwall means you can't just hack to a centre for lessons!). I am 5'10", a size 14 and weigh about 12.10 stone (embarrassed now!
blush.gif
). I admit I am definitely 'curvy' and 'voluptuous' but I ride most days (15.1 cob) and run three times a week so am also fairly fit. Now, I don't consider myself 'fat' (most days!) and think that I am fairly in proportion considering my height. The three local stables I phoned have told me that they have a weight limit of 12.7 stone but no height limit. Therefore, I now feel like I'm too large to be riding normal horses! Surely if they get men riding a lot must be more than 12.7 stone? Or am I being unrealistic? Are you all skinnys too? If so, let me know your secrets, please!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
All riders certainly aren't skinny - as evidenced by some of the sights I saw on Sunday when visiting my local show. (I actually don't know how some people get on a horse, let alone ride it!!).

Anyway - off the point.

Why don't you go and visit them in person?? That way they can see what your build is - rather than just make an assumption about you.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Thats ridiculous! I wasnt allowed on Tom's new ride because im too little to stop him
blush.gif
But I would think that most riding schools cater for all heights and weights.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm 5'6" and 11 stone - no one would call me fat - just the way I'm built.....you're not fat if your 5'10" and a stone heavier...!

x

vivhewe

Visit site
Utter b*ll*cks! When the yard still did lessons I'm sure there were people over 12 stone 10 riding Prince (luv ya boy!) who was 16.3hh ID and there is someone now who's daughter has a pony on livery that is a 14.2hh cob that she rides and there is no way she is only a size 14!

Tell them to P off hun!
grin.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Well firstly, all riders DEFINATELY are skinny and why should they be??? People are all different shapes and sizes and thats why we have horses in different shapes and sizes too.
grin.gif

I would also agree that maybe you should try and visit them in person so they can see what horses suit your build! Our yard certainly caters for people over 12.7 as do most yard I persume
grin.gif

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
im 15 stone plus a bit !! and hopefully going trekking in oct with daughter have already rang they have big cobs and if you are not a novice more inclined to take you as if you are better balanced and not bouncy, i am big but and very gentle on a horses back, i hasten to add that the vast majorityo of our male community and male show jumpers would be less than 12.7 !!

Rambo

Visit site
Tell them you're 12 stone....they won't check, and they're just talking out of their backsides anyway
blush.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
I'm 5'8 and weight 15+ (not telling you what the + is). I have ridden at different riding schools and right a 14.1 Highland at home.

Would think that the school is not worth bothering with then and would find a place that is.

A horse would rather carry a 14 stone balances rider than a 10 stone sack of tatties.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tell them you're 12 stone....they won't check, and they're just talking out of their backsides anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea Rambo!
laugh.gif

It's utterly ridiculous.......so they don't teach men then for a start?
tongue.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I haven't ridden a riding school horse for...hmmmmmmmmmmm...30 years or so now, but the yard I am on has a riding school attached, and they have horses that will carry a 17st man ! There are many SJ'ers in the 15st+++ bracket too....myself included
wink.gif

Beanyowner

Visit site
What a load of rubbish...I am just over 13 stone and I have sat on everything from 14hh'ers to 18hh'ers...now my instructors on my ND were perfectly aware what weight I was...so saying a 12st10 person can't be put on anything is complete bo***x!!

Claireg9

Visit site
Complete madness, i am 11st something no idea what the something is, but im only 5'1" and a bit, i am rounded but i wouldnt consider a size 14 to be fat. (Which is what i am) I play alot of sport and have quite big muscles and i also have enormous boobs which are very heavy im sure a stone is taken up by these! (Is there anyway of weighing them?) lol
Anyway when i went to C.Parcs i got put on 17.2 Cob!! I asked why i wasnt on a smaller horse that was in our ride which was approx 15.2 cob, she said because i am to heavy they can only take up to 10st! What??? Some riding schools talk complete bollox! I ride a 14.2 Irish sports horse and she is more than happy to take my weight, previous to that o had a 12.3 welshy and she whizzed around with me, over 3'9 courses and in the PPC team!
Lie to them or find somewhere else, they havent a clue!

TGM

Visit site
The riding school my daughter used to go to had a 12 stone weight limit! I heard a couple of men enquiring about lessons being turned away because they were too heavy. The stupid thing was that they had quite a few horses who were easily capable of carrying that weight
crazy.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
I know of a few places with that weight limit, but then there are other riding schools who weight limit is more 15 stone! And no, we're definately not!!

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Nope definately not!!!!!!!!! At the riding school were my beast lives we have two 17hh chunky horses as well as a two 15.2hh cobs for all sorts of people so we don't have a weight limit. The large 17hhers are more for novice people though!!!!!

Horseymum

Visit site
What a load of rubbish - they obviously want to go out of business! Like someone else said I would rather a heavier, balanced, experienced rider rode mine rather than someone who sat like a sack of potatoes. Just lie, I doubt they will make you stand on a set of scales, or better still find somewhere else.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I am exactly the same size/height and probably build as you and probably weigh just slightly under 12 stone mark. I also play a lot of sport but will ride anything from 12hh ponies up to 18hh. I think riding schools find it hard to get hold of bigger over 15.2hh horses that are sane as there is such a market for them and they are expensive.
I think it all comes down to how light you ride - I would tell them you are experienced rider as a novice will be floundering about while someone more experienced is much more secure and together.

AlisonG

Visit site
My OH went through the same thing, though he is a little bigger (in height and weight) than you! I refused to go to places that didn't ask questions along with the weight, like how his hands and seat were.

And don'e even get me started on trying to buy mens jods. No where had anything in his size = unhappy and fat feeling boyf!

jtriebs

Visit site
We had a similar problem with jods for OH! (have to find out where we got them in the end and I'll let you know)

Anyway, back to point. That's ridicolous! Def lie about your weight- they won't check! My OH is on the heavy side but rides quite well and we've never had a problem (we don't lie about his weight as he's obviously over 12 stone! lol) but he was even allowed to join in a polo lesson he'd got me for my birthday - the instructor told him not to worry about the weight as he was a good balanced rider! I'm not skinny myself (probably not far off 13 stone, but don't dare weigh myself) and ride anything from a 14hh Highland upwards (and that's in riding school lessons)

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Not being funny, but having given heights and weights of some friends of mine before going to a riding school, my smallest and lighest friend was given the biggest horse I have ever seen to ride! I ended up on the smallest (although still 16-17hh!) and I was the fattest of the 3 of us!

They talk bull. Lie about your age, they're not going to weigh you and I bet you'll find some skinny bitch is riding a larger horse than you anyway!

Fairynuff

Visit site
And here was me in the depths of despair at 5 , 9inches and 10 and a half stone!!! I keep thinking about my weight 18 years ago when I came back to Italy, I was 9 stone and size 10.Ive rounded off with the years and have always felt uncomfortable but it seems that Im still slightly skinny. Thankyou all.
Go ride that horse and bugger them, theyre talking bull. Mairi.
smile.gif