Are all riders skinny then??!

Autumna1

Visit site
Perhaps they're thinking about the potential vets' bills, equine chiropractors and knackered saddles!

Actually I think it depends on how light you ride. There are many race horses that carry 12 stone plus and most of that is dead weight rather than live jockey, around 3 mile chase courses at 40 mph over big fences and many of those are only 16hh, some even smaller.

I've judged plenty of "whales on horseback" as my charming (and skinny) OH used to call them doing dressage and all I would say is that it's very difficult to look elegant and harmonious with your lard bouncing and wobbling in several different directions at once. And I have unfortunately sat through some excruciating (for the horse and the rider) exhibitions of sitting trot.

I'm 5'11 and weigh just under 12 stone, although I used to weigh 10 and a half stone before I had my hysterectomy and started HRT - mind you, I reckon the penchant for cream cakes, chocolate and crisps has more to do with the extra couple of stone that anything else! Luckily both my 2 are more than big enough to carry the weight and I'm fortunate to have a light seat too.

pixie

Visit site
lol, SOD, that's so true. I'm 5ft3 and weigh 8st, yet I'm always put on 16.2+hh beasties, which I feel very uncomfortable on - I'd much prefer something less than 14.2hh.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I cert ainly don't class myself as a light weight although not collossolly (SP) heavy either. But to me it is more about balance than weight. You can get a skinny rider who wits heavily and a heavy rider who has a nice light balanced seat.

Sorry about the spellings as I have had a glass or two or three of wine so the kaeys don't seem to be where I rememebr them being!
blush.gif

ArleyMoss

www.arleyridingschool.co.uk
I have just put a weight limit of 16st at my riding school, mainly because I need large horses to carry those weights and some people don't like riding large horses. I don't have room for all types of different horses, I have to stick to my main target market.

That said, 16st is way off 12st!

Thanks
Kevin

JaneMBE

Visit site
hmmmm but some smaller horses are really good weight carriers.
Heaviest we have had is 18 stone, but he was good rider so more comfy for the horse he rode.
Our cob is 14.3 and a very good weight carrier We do have a bigger horse (16.1) who is xcellent too, for the taller people who look daft on a 14.3!

I am ginormous and ride the ponies (they haven't collapsed yet!) but I know a lot of riding centres have a max weight limit. Guess they are just being over cautious... Not many would weigh you on arrival ( that would be so rude!) but judge by an eye.

I am waffling sorry! Basically, I agree.... (dunno who said it.,...) tell a fib about your weight
wink.gif

teapot

Visit site
Think my yard has a limit of 14stone but does have a couple of horses that could carry more.

I would go visit in person

miller

Visit site
The american lady riding at burghley was heavier than that - watched her warm up for the dressage and commented to OH that riders spend all that time getting their horses fit, back checked etc, etc and make no effort themselves!

I'm not skinny by the way but my OH is - bleedin men
crazy.gif

GTs

Visit site
I certainly think there should be a limit - I hate seeing overweight people riding. Riding is for not for fat people!! If you are fat and want to play with horses get into carriage driving, and if you want to ride by an elephant or loose weight!

ArleyMoss

www.arleyridingschool.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly think there should be a limit - I hate seeing overweight people riding. Riding is for not for fat people!! If you are fat and want to play with horses get into carriage driving, and if you want to ride by an elephant or loose weight!

[/ QUOTE ]

but what do you consider over weight?

overweight for their height? or for the horse they are riding?

if I 4ft 5 and 14st riding as 13h pony, then that would no doubt be wrong, but I'm 6ft 1 and 13.8st and I ride a 16.3h MW/HW IDX, he can carry much more and does at my school

Rambo

Visit site
Here here
smile.gif

I'm 6'1" and well over the 14st mark, and I too ride both 16.2hh and 16.3hh WB's. They both happily and easily jump 5'+ with me on their back.

People need to understand the difference between dead weight riders and skillful riders who happen to weigh a little more
blush.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
what a joke... considering my whippet like 15hh point to pointer carried 12st 5lbs for 3 & a half miles in some of his races, how on earth can anyone say that 12st 7ld is too heavy (unless they have a yard full of 12hh show ponies!) my brother is 6'4" and resembles a rake, yet he weighs over that weight limit, heavy help him if he decided to go for lessons on something other than his own horse (a TB, which carries him no problem!)

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but what do you consider over weight?

overweight for their height? or for the horse they are riding?

if I 4ft 5 and 14st riding as 13h pony, then that would no doubt be wrong, but I'm 6ft 1 and 13.8st and I ride a 16.3h MW/HW IDX, he can carry much more and does at my school

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the point - it is all relative - hence why I did not mention specific weight.

watcherathome

Visit site
No, I am 5'7 and heavier than I should be..the 14hh Highland seems to cope, although I am sure she is more comfortable with a lighter rider.
If I was serious about competing I would buy something bigger and more appropriate to my height and weight and reckon a middle weight hunter type would fit the bill nicely (which is lucky because that is exactly what I have arriving in 10 days)