Are barefoot horses warmer?

webble

Visit site
Picking out Moos feet this morning they felt very warm around the coronet band. Cue me panicing and needing to compare them with another horse. The only other horse on the yard has shoes on and in the same place she felt very cold (more panicing) then I remembered that she has lost a front shoe a few days ago so I felt that foot and it was lovely and warm just like Merrys. I realise this probably isnt a revelation to some but it was for me. Does this mean the horse generally will be warmer?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It always amazes me how warm the mud is that I pick out of F's feet! I don't remember it being like that when he was shod.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Yes, because metal shoes prevent optimum circulation in the hoof. Which is why a previously tender horse can appear sound when shod, not because the shoe is protecting the hoof, but because it is numb.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ha, join the club. Yes, unshod feet will be warmer, although they shouldn't be hot. I can remember the same thing, finding a warm foot and instantly panicing.

Not sure if this is right, but I guess that is the reason that unshod feet don't get balled up with snow as it melts and falls out.

NZJenny

Visit site
Yes, definitely warmer. Not so sure that is the whole reason for the snow popping out though - I had thought that because the hoof flexes more, the snow just gets ejected. We don't get snow regularly here, but when we have I had popped out "soles" all around the place.