Are Boett rugs still worth the money?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have an itchy pony, not full on sweet itch but enough to need a rug on 24/7. He's historically had a rambo sweetitch rug but it's quite thick and in the heat we have had last few summers hes got very sweaty under it. He also manages to still itch his tail in it so thinking of a boett but they are not cheap which is fine if they still the best? :)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Yes providing the field is fenced so they can't rub on anything and rip them

Do they rip easily then? He rubs on drinker and wall in stable but doesn't seem too in field. There is one tree my cob itches on that I plan to fence off with electric this year and hopefully will get mains powered electric round wooden fence

cauda equina

Visit site
They do rip easily, but they mend easily too. The material is very sewing-machine-friendly and the place in Wales (forgotten the name) that sells them will (or used to, haven't used mine for years) send you bits of fabric for patching
Kramer sells similar sort of rugs (pull on over the head with a separate belly flap) which are much cheaper but I found the sizing hard to understand; my cobs ended up swamped by theirs

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
As above. De meulenkamp also sell a very similar rug to the Boett but slightly cheaper. I also much recommend getting the hoods that go with both those rugs. They won't rip easily if only rubbing on smooth things but keep them away from any stray nail or wire. Looked after you can get two or three seasons from them. In the field big plastic trugs are good for water as they can't use them for rubbing easily.

hobo

Visit site
Peter pony came with a Boett I did not like it, it was a pain to take on and off and easily snagged. Peter does just fine in the premier equine one but I have now moved to the shires one which is much more reasonable priced and really pleased with them. I do hog him in the spring and keep it hogged through the summer until the rug comes off in November. He sometimes gets hot but not to often.

Ceifer

Visit site
I really rate boett rugs. I don’t think the ‘copies’ really compare.
We had a pony on livery that had a cheaper version that did nothing. When we persuaded the owner to get a boett they never looked back. We did find in extreme heat that the pony did sweat so we had to manage that but he was in the full rug and mask.