Are conifers poisinous for horses?

bgray1981

Visit site
Hi, the title says it all really? Basically there are 2 small conifer trees in one of my fields that I want to put my horses in for the winter and I'm not sure whether conifers are poisinous or not. If they are I want to remove them before putting the horses in there. Thanks

Milkmaid

Visit site
Yes, and they can develop a taste for them & poison themselves so I wouldn't risk it either! My NF pony makes a beeline for them so I have to be ultra careful that there is none he can reach

ribbons

Visit site
Milkmaid, are you talking about conifers or acorns. As I understand it NF ponies have an immunity to acorns unlike other horses. I will try and find where u got that information.

Clodagh

Visit site
We nearly lost a pony who ate leylandii, she fitted, went blind and was convulsing. It was really horrible. She did get over it but I am much more careful now. I would say that she was in a bare paddock, perhaps they wouldn't eat them if they had plenty of grass.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Definately conifers not acorns.
I don`t have any oak trees in my paddocks thankfully but do have conifers in a hedgerow bordering one my field (which are in the neighbours garden sadly otherwise they would be ripped out!) I have to fence them away from otherwise NF will eat them over lovely green grass :eek: He also adores holly, the pricklier the better, weird pony!

The other horse will not even attempt to eat either he much prefers brambles!