Are door bars/grids cruel?

SNORKEY

Visit site
Hi relating to my earlier post, im having to keep my nutty lame horse in his stable, and im worried he'l jump out, i was going to go and buy and anti weave bar but they are £50, and my mother has a door grid I can use instead, but this means he cant even put him head over the door, does anyone think this is a bit cruel? he'l be on his own all day in the yard with no view of the horses, I havn't had the chance to ask if anyone will bring their horse in with him yet. , to keep him company, im hoping he's feeling too lame to try and jump out.

diggerbez

Visit site
personally no not cruel- he needs it for safety....he presumably will still be able to see out of his stable thru the grill and will have hay and water so he'll be fine!
smile.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
I'm about to buy one after my mare jumped out of the field shelter and tore her stomach open.

Believe me, a door grill will be fine!!

mickey

Visit site
My horse jumped stable door but because of low ceiling height the other side he got stuck on top of the door and had to be pulled off :-(((
I went out and swiftly purchased an anti-weave grill and he has never done it again. He doesn't weave so no issue about 'not allowing' stereotypical behaviour.
If your horse may jump out then I agree a full grill is fine. You need to protect the physical welfare of your horse. I wouldn't otherwise want my horse to have one unless there is a particular reason, because I do think it is nice for him to have a view.
I know that WRT weavers (which I presume your horse is not) there is some debate over whether to use anti-weave grills.
Is he likely to box walk being alone and fully enclosed? Maybe watch as that may exacerbate lameness.

millitiger

Visit site
we put a full grill on one of our stable doors after a foal we bought jumped out the first night he was in.

he had it for about 3 months until we were sure he wouldn't do it again and i still have it in case he gets excited by anything and then i can just attach it straight away.

SO1

Visit site
If you have no other option then put it up but if your horse does not like stables prepare for tantrums - I tried this on mine and after an hour and a half of rearing and bashing the grill with his hooves the YO decided it was safer for him to go back out.

Moved to a different yard and much large stable and although he lives out occasionally he comes in for an hour or so and no jumping out or tantrums so perhaps a bigger stable if there is one on the yard might help.

DW Team

Visit site
Always start of with new horse with weaving grill as had a horse many years ago try to jump the door and failed then had to have months in the box to heal what a mess.

If I had to do it again I would try and find a friend for him and also think about a mirror. I was just thinking as typing something else that might help would be a gap in the wall between stables (air bricks may be) so the horse could sniff and smell another horse. What about a lamintic pony to keep him company? In a very large box. Good luck

mtj

Visit site
can i also suggest a full grill

my warm blood thinks anti weave grills are a good toy . you can either rock them backwards and forwards until they get bent. otherwise try to lift them out with gob

he doesn't weave ,it was just a livery yard rule until several other non weavers also trashed their grills

given your horse is actually going to have an excuse for boredom, it probably is inviting mischief potential