Are first foals a bit ….meh?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a filly who will be going thru the grading process this year. She is very well bred (johnson x gribaldi) and is nicely put together if on the small side (should make 16 to 16.2) and i have been looking at stallions for her first foal … part of me thinks go for another big name but nothing too BIG as she is physically small but lots of people are always telling me ‘not for the first foal - they are always a bit ya know, meh’ but that got me thinking is this a self fulfilling prophecy as if everyone thinks this and chooses accordingly it creates something a bit ropey… ? Opinions and experiences gratefully received

Widgeon

Visit site
Sounds a bit bizarre to me - I can't think of any biological reason why this should be true? But then I'm the oldest of three kids, so I would say that, wouldn't I. I'd be firmly in the camp of "self fulfilling prophecy". But even if it was true, why would you pick anything less than the very best stallion you can get for your mare? Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.

TheMule

Visit site
I have a filly who will be going thru the grading process this year. She is very well bred (johnson x gribaldi) and is nicely put together if on the small side (should make 16 to 16.2) and i have been looking at stallions for her first foal … part of me thinks go for another big name but nothing too BIG as she is physically small but lots of people are always telling me ‘not for the first foal - they are always a bit ya know, meh’ but that got me thinking is this a self fulfilling prophecy as if everyone thinks this and chooses accordingly it creates something a bit ropey… ? Opinions and experiences gratefully received

Iknow that first foals can be a bit smaller but I've never heard anyone refer to them being inferior in any way.

ihatework

Visit site
I think it’s reasonably accepted that first foals can be on the smaller side but, as for ‘meh’ I don’t think so, per se.

I suppose as a mare breeds more, the breeder gets to see what the mare stamps so can refine the stallion choice perhaps? Thus rolling the dice more in favour of refining the outcome .

But should that mean not spending on the stallion for first foal. Not in my book. I think you want a proven stallion who consistently puts ‘X’ in the mix, so that you can reduce the variables on the unproven mare