Are horses different to ride at different times of the day?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Probably a really stupid question!

But I had a lesson on Nova at 8.30am. I usually ride her 2pm onwards. She was good, but probably a little more resistant in the contact and I could almost hear her cursing me for making her work so early. She eventually worked nicely but she’s been going so much better than she did today that I’m just wondering if it’s possible or I’m humanising her a bit. Or if it’s simply my riding!!

She is still going so much better than she did before I spent £££ on ovary scans, regumate, scopes, new bit & bridle etc!!

Birker2020

Visit site
Yes certainly. When a horse that come in during the day in summer (to avoid the sugar rich grass and the never ending flies) is ridden first thing they are dopey.

They tend to wake up mid afternoon.

Bailey was very much like this. Between classes, she'd fall asleep tied up behind the trailer with a net. I used to go to the cafe and because I'd parked in such a way to watch her all the time from my vantage point I knew she was safe. But going into the next class I had to literally shake her awake in the warm up lol.

In the end spillers Instant Energy gave me what I needed for manageable 'spark'.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
I think mine is a morning horse as it’s his usual time and was for 7 years in racing. If I ride late pm I’m sure he thinks it’s tea time. That said he has lessons and competitions different times of day. I think we’ve competed at 8 am and 10.30 at night and all times I’m between.

I always think it interesting that racehorses train early mornings and race pm when they’d normally be on quiet time in yard and think it would be an interesting project to compare performance if trained afternoons. I suppose going racing means it’s entirely out of routine so that is the difference anyway.

First Frost

Visit site
Mine prefer to hack in the afternoon and school in the morning - or maybe it's that this is what I prefer!!!
Mine are definitely sharper in the morning which suits schooling, this is simply because they have been in over night.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Horses are different shapes at different times of day so yes, absolutely! Standing around in a stable makes the back drop over time, so it might even be that horses are sharper through discomfort/dysfunction when ridden from the stable, if you looked at it from an extreme point of view. Coming in from the field they've usually been moving and will often show a better wither tracing so may be a bit sluggish mentally but the body may be better placed to work correctly. And then it's down to how does the saddle fit that day/that time of day, and how does it affect how they move?

I know that makes it really complicated, it is even though we mostly "get away with it".

Wishfilly

Visit site
I definitely think it makes a difference ridden from the stable vs from the field, which often correlates to certain times of day. I think it also can depend on what they've eaten recently, how much they were moving around in the night, and also the temperature can make a difference. It was quite fresh this morning here, which I think can make a difference?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
BB liked to be ridden at any times, sometimes twice a day. But he really hated to know you were at the yard and doing stuff and he was missing out on something 😂 so liked to be with you , even just to stand and observe 😌

Orby, he is turning out just the same, walks so close hes taken my shoe off twice 🤣🤣
Just wants to be with me all the time even just to watch me. Dunno what it is 😀🤣🤣

J_sarahd

Visit site
Horses are different shapes at different times of day so yes, absolutely! Standing around in a stable makes the back drop over time, so it might even be that horses are sharper through discomfort/dysfunction when ridden from the stable, if you looked at it from an extreme point of view. Coming in from the field they've usually been moving and will often show a better wither tracing so may be a bit sluggish mentally but the body may be better placed to work correctly. And then it's down to how does the saddle fit that day/that time of day, and how does it affect how they move?

I know that makes it really complicated, it is even though we mostly "get away with it".

This is really interesting! I’ve noticed her girth has gone up a hole when riding in the afternoon/evening and this morning, it was harder to even get the buckle and leather to touch. She’s still out overnight but she has a shelter so maybe she stands in that for most of the night.

J_sarahd

Visit site
BB liked to be ridden at any times, sometimes twice a day. But he really hated to know you were at the yard and doing stuff and he was missing out on something 😂 so liked to be with you , even just to stand and observe 😌

Orby, he is turning out just the same, walks so close hes taken my shoe off twice 🤣🤣
Just wants to be with me all the time even just to watch me. Dunno what it is 😀🤣🤣
That’s so cute!! Apart from him taking your shoe off 😂 he really does sound like such a special horse

vmac66

Visit site
Indie is always more forward in the morning which makes for better schooling. Takes longer in the afternoon/ evening to get her going forward.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I usually hack or school early morning. He is still good to ride later in the day but he never feels quite as settled, probably only because its out of routine. If we compete he is fine any time of the day. I think the grass definitely has a part to play.

FitzyFitz

Visit site
Mine are basically the same at any time, but they are out 24/7 with adlib forage and don't have a fixed routine so it;s not like they'll have an after dinner slump or anything. I did have a training livery last year who was more settled from mid morning onwards but i'm pretty sure that was because she'd run out of hay overnight sometimes and felt more mellow once she'd had a munch of her new haynets, can't blame her, I'm not much good before breakfast either!

dottylottie

Visit site
my 4 year old is so much more sensible to work with in a morning, she actually concentrates and i leave the session feeling really positive - in an evening she’s a royal pain in the behind and i leave muttering all sorts of names at her🤣

lily is a good girl whatever time of day, but i’d probably say she’s more settled in an evening.

Thankfully, it suits me very well to work them at separate times in the day rather than one after the other😂

Ceifer

Visit site

I agree with this and try to ride mine after turnout. I definitely find them looser. If I can’t do this I try and hack them out on a short loop before schooling.

lizziebell

Visit site

Wow, that’s fascinating. Thank you Sbloom. I guess it’s similar to humans being taller at the beginning of the day.

MissTyc

Visit site
I normally ride in the morning, so me and the horses have all become morning people. We are functional until about noon, but if we have afternoon times or, god forbid, evening expectations, then they turn into grumpy, zoomie toodlers . And so do I! I am so used to this that I was genuinely astounded when I rode my youngster for a saddle fitting at 5pm and he went completely normally. My others horses gave him a withering look.

SEL

Visit site
The microcob likes to snooze between 11am and midday. Ask her to be ridden in that time and she'll have a proper grump and I'll be riding a slug. Mid afternoon (post snooze) = turbo cob 😁

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yes. I find a lot hinges how different the rider is at different times though. I rode first thing a, it’s convenient b, I’m clear headed

I am filled with zero enthusiasm for riding after working all day and have dwindling patience

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Yes. I find a lot hinges how different the rider is at different times though. I rode first thing a, it’s convenient b, I’m clear headed

I am filled with zero enthusiasm for riding after working all day and have dwindling patience

This for me too. 95% of the time I ride mornings. He lives out all the time but I think he’s less enthusiastic about being tacked up in the evening.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

Maybe he likes tatts.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My cob is happy to work at any time of day as long as he has a bit of forage first 😂 He lives out 24/7 and if he comes in to be tacked up he expects some food. We often tie him to the fence so he can graze on some longer grass and then he is quite happy. He keeps a very close eye on my if I'm around the yard and also recognises my car as I arrive.
My friend has a horse who resents being ridden in the late afternoon. This is his dinner time and NOTHING gets in the way of that - even if he has been given a small feed from a bucket first!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 so no idea how stabling would affect it, but they get ridden when I have time, sometimes early mornings, sometimes evenings, occasionally middle of the day- I don't notice a huge difference, except when riding in the dawn/dusk- setting out in the dark in the morning and having it get light is better than it going dark in the evening- the old boy gets a bit spooky in the evening despite the light levels being similar/having stirrup lights at both ends of the day.
I presume this is because he's acclimatised to the dark in the mornings and visibility is improving while in the evening he is still getting used to the low visibility.