Are horses in general gettinig bigger?

webble

Visit site
I might just be getting old here but when I was a teenager growing up around horses 16-16.2hh was considered a fairly big horse and anything above that wasn't common. These days 17hh+ doesn't seem to be thought of as big or out of the ordinary.

A lady on the yard saw my new boy for the first time the other day, (he is a 14.2hh trad cob and I am 5ft 5 so not ridiculous size wise) and said 'isn't he small' I think her 16.2hh ID is huge. Is it just me? Am I old and rambling?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
there's a fashion for bigger horses generally I think. People are convinced that if you are over 5'5 and 6 stone, you need a massive WB/ID/draft horse cross to carry you. I agree, when I was young 17h was unusual-when I was a WP in the 80s, I groomed for a very tall Dutch rider and his horse was 17.3h and it was practically unheard of over here (it was a DWB) but said 6'3 rider also competed to PSG on a 15.2h lippi. I liked bigger horses myself in my 20s, now I'm in my 40s I have a 15.2h and a 13h.

webble

Visit site
I don't really understand why through choice someone would get something that big. I had a 17.1 on loan for a few months and he was so expensive to feed and hard work to groom, tack up, get on and off etc and no use out hacking if I dropped a glove or my whip cuz he was way too big to get on from the floor

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Could be right. I remember a time when connemaras were 14'2 and under. I've lost count of the number of 15'2, apparently pure Connies that I've seen for sale

My horse is a beast too. He's Connie x tb. Was supposed to make 15'2. But is 16'1 and still filling out, he's 5. But his sire was only 14'2. Dam was 15'3. So he really should be smaller

Shazzababs

Visit site
Yes, and I've also noticed that children seam to come off ponies earlier too.

In my day you had a 14.2 until you were 16 and then moved on to horses. Most of the classes were age\height restricted too.

I've stewarded for the pony club and there seam to be lots of 12yr olds on 16.2's. Not an issue, but I bet they don't have as much fun as we did on our ponies.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I think so, someone at my yard is 14 and has a 16h horse, she looks tiny on it but they were adamant they didn't want anything under!
I would much rather ride ponies forever but at 5'7 I think I'm just too tall. But the majority of horses at both yards I ride are over 16hh and going onto 17hh, very few 15h seem to be around anymore!

Barnacle

Visit site
I love small horses... I don't understand the big horse obsession... But I do think part of it is simply image. Young people want to get off "childish" ponies and "move up" which means a big horse... 15'2 is a bit too much like a pony... So 16+ it is. And that just carries over until you're secure enough in yourself not to care what other people think.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
No would be my answer. Quite recently I have looked for 3 big quallity horses and not found much at all. Quality is the key word.

Actual height is meaningless, how the horse rides, it's cadence and presence is important. The depth of the horse is again important, how it takes your leg up can make a real difference in the how the ride is.

If you look at a horse from a few yards away and it looks huge it will have poor conformation. If you look at a correct horse from a few yards away you will not be able to tell how big it is.

rara007

Visit site
Out on normal livery yards I still see far far more 14.2-15.2 than over 16.2 :) The professional yards often have bigger.

Piaffe123

Visit site
I am one who never had a 14.2hh... went from a 13.2hh newf to my Mum's 16.1hh thoroughbred but I was a leggy 5'6 13 year old and we didn't have much money - never struggled with him and had a huge amount of fun!

I like "big" horses as in over 15.2hh but only because I am quite tall and like it to take up my leg.

Flame_

Visit site
I think the thing to do is dressage on a warmblood. It just seems to be what most horsey people I know do, like through conditioning, or default, or something.

I do not do dressage on a 14.2 arab and I kind of feel bad for them tbh.

SpringArising

Visit site
I think it's definitely more fashionable to have a big horse now. I don't see the attraction really - I'm more of a hairy, chunky Cob person! I don't generally like the look of TBs or WBs - they just look big and gangly and awkward. I prefer small ponies with bone and a nice short back.

I had a 133cm Welsh B until I was 15, and the biggest thing I've had to date was 143cms and I don't think I'll ever look for anything bigger. I'm tiny and hate having to stretch to tack up.

alainax

Visit site
I bought a 16.1 who at 7 grew to 16.3. I now have a 16hh and although it's just a few inches, I am so much happier with this size. I think people see anything under 16hh as small these days.

webble

Visit site
I think it's definitely more fashionable to have a big horse now. I don't see the attraction really - I'm more of a hairy, chunky Cob person! I don't generally like the look of TBs or WBs - they just look big and gangly and awkward. I prefer small ponies with bone and a nice short back.

I had a 133cm Welsh B until I was 15, and the biggest thing I've had to date was 143cms and I don't think I'll ever look for anything bigger. I'm tiny and hate having to stretch to tack up.

Oh this is my other issue I don't know what those heights are in 'modern' measurements :lol:

Last edited:

Pixie88

Visit site
I am on a 'normal livery' and we all seem to have 14.2 - 15.2 we do have a few bigger horses, but there owners tend to be taller. Personally I love my 14.2 pocket rocket! 27 and 5ft1 I only left ponies when riding other peoples horses!!

Bav

Visit site
Not sure if they are getting bigger, but I am one of the weirdos who has a 17.2hh
He doesn't look that big until you get up close and looks even bigger with a saddle on. To be honest I'm 5"10 and have had no issues tacking up, feeding (lives on fresh air but also ulcer prone so it's a very fine balance) or even hacking, we go under all the branches, even very low ones without issue.

I feel much more comfortable on a bigger horse, especially on those with a nice long neck, although my boy is a bit like steering a barge. When he prances and spooks I find everything more slow motion and it much easier to sit to. Not really noticed any difference coming off him than another horse. Would rather fall from a height then land awkwardly closer to the ground IME.

Transport can be a nightmare though but only really if you want to travel with others.

- forgot to add, 7"0 rugs are easy to come by, I find, as not that sought after so always left in the sale. Although finding warmblood or XFull tack is a bi**h

Last edited:

HBrae2

Visit site
I think there are more horses on yards over 16hh because breeds like warmbloods are popular (and have been for a while). When I was young I didn't know ANYONE with a warmblood, now most people I know have one, and they tend to be quite tall (although not always before anyone says they have a 14hh one).

It's just personal choice though, I have a 14.1hh (he is always about 2 hands smaller than everything else in a dressage warm up) and my friend, who is the same midget size as me, has a 17hh warmblood. We're both happy although it's definitely easier for me to get on and off :)

Horsey Sophie

Visit site
I've gone from one extreme to the other! My old horse was a 16.3/17hh Sports Horse & my current boy is a 14hh native. I'm 5'6, so average height.

Funnily enough, my 14hh is harder to find tack & rugs and things to fit than my old boy.

I've had a lot of fun with both my boy's - I actually only got my native, as after having my old horse PTS I purposely wanted something very different, so I wasn't reminded of or comparing the two.

It took a while to get used to my native's lightning quick reflexes though :D

I'm on a livery yard & my native is the smallest, ridden, non-childs pony - most are 16hh plus. Each to their own though :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Not sure if they are getting bigger, but I am one of the weirdos who has a 17.2hh
He doesn't look that big until you get up close and looks even bigger with a saddle on. To be honest I'm 5"10 and have had no issues tacking up, feeding (lives on fresh air but also ulcer prone so it's a very fine balance) or even hacking, we go under all the branches, even very low ones without issue.

I feel much more comfortable on a bigger horse, especially on those with a nice long neck, although my boy is a bit like steering a barge. When he prances and spooks I find everything more slow motion and it much easier to sit to. Not really noticed any difference coming off him than another horse. Would rather fall from a height then land awkwardly closer to the ground IME.

Transport can be a nightmare though but only really if you want to travel with others.

- forgot to add, 7"0 rugs are easy to come by, I find, as not that sought after so always left in the sale. Although finding warmblood or XFull tack is a bi**h

Echo this, except mine does cost a fortune feed wise (hay rather than hard feed - she barely gets any hard feed), and generally to keep ie bedding. But I don't find it a problem tacking up at all really.

I feel safer in general on a bigger horse than on a pony as I feel there's more infront of me, but jumping wise it's a different matter. I would feel more secure on a smaller one jumping as I wouldn't feel so 'launched' over the bigger fences than I do on my mare.

Rug wise agree - easy to get hold of the 7ft rugs in sales etc. Tack she is a bloody nightmare though trying to get a bridle to fit.

LilacWillow

Visit site
I'm 5ft7+ and my horses are only small, I have a 14.2hh Welsh D (I have had him since I was 13, though :p) and recently I've got a 4 year old Welsh X who should finish at 15.2hh. Did consider getting a more sporty horse at around 16.2hh but
1) I could get a better quality smaller horse for the same money
2) smaller, more compact horses tend to have less health problems
3) they use up less feed - so are cheaper to maintain
4) my horses live out so really they need a bit of meat on their bones, and a 15.2hh cob type rides about the same as a 16.2hh sport type (atm my 14.2hh takes up my leg more than my 15.1hh as he is stockier!)
5) as I mainly hack, they're easier to get on and off with gates etc
6) easier to pull over for cars on country lanes, easier to fit under branches when riding etc

Now I get that I might not look that great on smaller horses, and many people have pulled faces when I tell them my boy is only 14.2hh, but all I really get the opportunity to do with my horses is hack out, so what's the point of having a massive, gangly, strong horse with numerous health problems that costs a lot more to keep when I'm not competing over huge jumps? :D By all means, have a big horse for hacking if you want to, for me it's just a more conservative way of managing money :)
I would consider getting a bigger one in the future though, when I'm earning more money or getting more serious with my riding.

My auntie, who is about the same height as me, went from a 15.2hh to a chunky 17hh, and regrets it. She bought him for dressage and hacking but she is a little over-horsed, especially as he doesn't have the best of temperaments and he is constantly having health problems, with his feet, legs, windpipe... anything :eek:

Luci07

Visit site
Always had bigger horses and prefer them for me. Current pony is 17 hh but I was brought up with and learnt to ride on hunters and sort of missed out on ponies. When I was 7 the horse I was learning on was 15.3. I wanted to ride and never knew any different. I did get some idiotic comments about it being further to fall with this one from people who completely overlooked the fact I bought this horse is because he is generous and level headed. Each to their own ..that's the joy of horses!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There have always been big horses; back in the '80's I wouldn't be seen dead on anything under 16.2hh (I'm 5'9" and a dressage rider). Nowadays the absolute limit for me is 15.2hh and I'm much more apreciative of the short guys :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Forgot to mention actually, I learned to ride on a 17.2hh hunter...when I was 10! The other I learned on was 16hh. I loved both of them and used to specifically request them each week and was bitterly disappointed if I got one of the ponies lol.

minesadouble

Visit site
I think there doesn't seem to be so many genuinely big horses around these days. We have had 3 on our livery yard that are '17hh +' however all 3 are smaller than our 16.1!! There are a lot of people out there who own 17 handers who are actually nearer 16hh ;)

Auslander

Visit site
If you look at a horse from a few yards away and it looks huge it will have poor conformation. If you look at a correct horse from a few yards away you will not be able to tell how big it is.

This is so very true! I don't look at Alf and think he is particularly big, and people are often surprised at how big he is when you get up close, as he looks normal sized from a distance. I'd have said he was around 16.2hh from looking at him, but he measures at 17.1hh

Luci07

Visit site
I think there doesn't seem to be so many genuinely big horses around these days. We have had 3 on our livery yard that are '17hh +' however all 3 are smaller than our 16.1!! There are a lot of people out there who own 17 handers who are actually nearer 16hh ;)
That's because they are on our yard. One of the owners has a penchant for big warmblood x's. He bought another 4 year old who was meant to be 17 hh but actually has measured in at 18 hh. Rider has rebacked him and chucked him out in a field to grow and chill. Lucky he seems to be a really lovely horse but his future as a too class eventer seems a little uncertain!

spacefaer

Visit site
We have 17hh+ ID hunters. My OH is 6'3 and looks odd on anything smaller.

I have a 16hh ID and he feels like a 14.2 in comparison!

The big boys are gentlemen and we have no problem finding tack and rugs - they take anything between 6'9 - 7'3 and tbh, rugs that size are cheaper than 6'3 - i have to pay more for rugs for my little horse!

They make gates and hedges look smaller and in terms of getting on, it's immaterial as I don't wreck horses' s backs or my saddles by getting on anything off the ground, whether it's 14.2hh or 17.2hh.

What we have found is that people are getting bigger - nearly every horse we have sold is to a 6'plus man who rides at 15-16 stone (or more) and we've had a queue of interest when they're advertised.

Street_Skill

Visit site
No would be my answer. Quite recently I have looked for 3 big quallity horses and not found much at all. Quality is the key word.

Actual height is meaningless, how the horse rides, it's cadence and presence is important. The depth of the horse is again important, how it takes your leg up can make a real difference in the how the ride is.

Completely agree. A few years ago I had a 14.3 Arab and a 16.3 TB. The Arab had so much presence and power that if you closed your eyes and rode them one after the other you'd be hard pushed to tell which horse you were on. Loved that little horse.

Bernster

Visit site
Certainly possible as we are getting bigger height and weight wise, and I wonder if feed etc is also improving so that horses are getting equally big! My yard has a few big uns and they are the dressage types. Was at training camp this week and there were plenty of enormous horses there, 17h plus. My friends horse takes a lot of food, is in oversized tack and is flipping heavy to transport. Not something a titch like me would be interested in. And it's a long way to fall off, although I suppose the jumps must look teeny from up there!