Are horses just not selling at the moment??

Sharpie

Visit site
Its odd, privately selling a lovely youngster as giving up horses and he is well priced and a lovely boy but not had one bite.... :(

Im wondering whether its area related...as i cant see reason for him not to have interest

Sharpie

Visit site
This is why I cant work it out.....
any idea's of best sites to use? as maybe im going about it all wrong?

:/ Help would be very much appreciated as it was a hard enough decision to sell up without being tempted to change my mind again due to not finding suitable home :*(

galaxy

Visit site
My client had people lining up to buy her 12.2hh perfect pony. Was a decent price too!

I think issue free horses that aren't overpriced are selling easily.

rowy

Visit site
I just sold my 4 year old 12.2hh exmoor to a stud, but in exchange for one if their youngsters. I had a few viewers but the fact she wasn't good with children really narrowed the market.

~ Clear Light ~

Visit site
I have a super grey dressage horse for sale in this week's H&H and on the BD forum. I have had loads of calls, e-mails and people have tried him but they don't seem to realise when I say he has BIG paces it means he has BIG paces. Sigh. Yes he is advertised as an amateur's schoolmaster as he has an easy going temperament and proven BD record, but I think people need to be realistic about their riding abilities also and not just say the standard line of "oh I'm looking for a potential PSG horse." Really :eek: I am not in a rush to sell at all as he is a super horse, so if I don't find someone suitable soon, I will compete him over the Winter then try again early next year.

Flashpaddler

Visit site
We had to sell our 14.2 and, as he was 13 years old, I thought it might take a while for him to go. We advertised him with tack and wardrobe as we've only got horses now. He completed a single BE90 with us and can jump really well and has represented his RC at pretty much everything. I also had lots of great photos of him competing which I think helped. Anyway, he sold within 24 hours of the advert going live. Some people drove over 200 miles to see him. In total, we had 56 calls for him. I guess we probably had him on a bit cheap, but the market is very fickle and few hundred pounds the wrong way may stifle response. Anyway, we're very happy as we didn't really care about price and wanted him to go to a lovely home, which we've accomplished in spades.:D

WestCoast

Visit site
In my, admittedly very limited, experience over the last few months, first looking for a horse and then just looking to see if I really was right, the market is just full of youngsters. There's also quite a lot of "competition horses" that, reading between the lines, need a very experienced rider and horses being oversold by dealers.

What is in short supply is nice, well trained horses with no real issues suitable for someone fairly inexperienced to buy and do some hacking, riding club, or low level competition.

Paula

Sharpie

Visit site
Absolutely 100% agree with you on that one Paulag!!

I too have a youngster for sale and WAS looking for a more experienced horse that needed less time dedicating to it. However i found nothing but horses with some issue or another and gave up. I tried lots, all with BE records and owners raving about them, ALL of which had some issue, wouldnt stay in on its own and was sweated up in stable, always took 6 attempts when loading, wouldnt hack alone, etc etc etc

I have since decided to give up after 20years of blood, sweat and tears mixed together with fabulous rosette filled days and big smiles; Recoup money's and have a nice long break from the slave labour we all get tied into when having a horsey pal. lol
It will take a very special school master type horse with (no doubt) a very large price tag to get me back into the day to day grind. ;) That said the youngster im selling is very lovely, genuine and sweet natured, just needs somebody with the time and experience to put into him to take him eventing etc. I have no doubt he will be as super as his older siblings.

WestCoast

Visit site
I ended up making the decision to go for a four year old because at least she was unspoilt and still likes and trusts people. I had to go for full livery anyhow due to health problems, and the only one I liked that had spaces offered daily riding/schooling. But I can really see how inexperienced people get themselves in one hell of a mess by buying youngsters.

I'm betting sharpie you won't last long without a horse though -there seems to be a lot of people looking for sharers. ;)

Paula

ArtyLinz

Visit site
I have been looking for the past couple of months for a new one and just found one last week. To be honest I saw many that were under my budget but I still felt were over-priced as they were too green. If that's the case they need to be priced accordingly, unless they have proven breeding lines.

There seems to be a lot out there as I was looking for a long time and saw the same ones week after week ... :(

Hope you find a good home for him soon!

emmab13

Visit site
As a dealer, the nice horses at sensible prices always shift.

E.g., nice 15hh connie, 9 yrs, hunted, pony clubbed, nice on flat, amazing to hack, nice sensible jump, v. v. v. easy to do, £3500. Advertised on Friday, viewed on Saturday, vetted Saturday afternoon, (lady's OH a vet) gone Sunday. And about 50 phonecalls.

10 yr old jumping pony, good form in Ireland as 5-7yr old up to 1.15m, then hunted in England for 3 yrs. First BSJA outing qualified Scope in three classes. £6750. Sold to v lovely home, first people to see it. Another 30 phonecalls after them.

Nice things at the right price always sell.

I do think there is a huge amount of rubbish on the market, and perhaps people struggle to sift through it all and find the nice horses that are privately sold.

Also we have a pro photographer to take selling photos of ours, if we do a job lot it is a reasonable price per horse, takes an afternoon to do 10 horses if you spend the morning washing etc, and you really do sell a horse from its picture.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It amazes me how many people don't put a photo or if they do horse has its mouth open or something else off putting. And pics with folk slouching backwards with no hat put me off at first glance.

Liath

Visit site
What is in short supply is nice, well trained horses with no real issues suitable for someone fairly inexperienced to buy and do some hacking, riding club, or low level competition.

Paula

I couldn't agree more with this- I spent a couple of months seriously looking for one of these...drove all over the country and saw a lot that were advertised as such, but turned out to be quite different! Got tanked with, reared with, saw '15.3' horses that were barely 15hh and several crib biters that were not disclosed and almost disguised (but you can't change their teeth!!), a couple that were unsound and a couple that were so far removed from their advert I wondered if they were actually selling a different horse!!

I eventually found my boy by word of mouth from a yard less than ten miles away from me and count myself very lucky to have been offered him!

Ro5ie

Visit site
As a dealer, the nice horses at sensible prices always shift.

I do think there is a huge amount of rubbish on the market, and perhaps people struggle to sift through it all and find the nice horses that are privately sold.

Absolutely agree with this. I've been keeping an eye out for a youngster to back and bring on, but ultimately keep for life. We currently have a 15.2hh gelding which we bought at two and is now seven who I home produced with my Mum. He is just fab and now doing general riding club activities. He is just such a pleasure to have in the family. Now looking for something a bit bigger with view to event. I first thought about buying a five year old but just tired of seeing young horses for sale who have 'seen and done' everything! Are people producing them quickly to captalise on profit? I'm now looking again at the 2-3 year olds and will start from there :rolleyes: I guess everyone has their own ideas on how horses should be produced but doesn't make finding the right one any easier!

Sharpie

Visit site
Well, im just not sure what to price mine at. My instructor said no less than 4k all day long but i think that unreasonable for a young horse who can still be green. I had him proffesionally backed at 3 just because I lost my event mare and wanted to get going with him quietly. In the last year we have played around, not asked him too much, not jumped too big of over phased him and he has had many short holidays to allow him to mature inbetween learning new things. He has been to a few parties just for getting him outs sake, no pressure just to go and trot round a few small fences either sj or xc, and for some instruction on my part. I have had all of my horses from foals/youngsters and done them all the same way. I dont do it to make money at all (im not good or quick enough to do that regardless lol)
My first horse passed away at 24 with stomach cancer, second whom i had as a rescue foal is now with my bestest friend in all the world and my third whom i bought to replace my first suffered a leg injury leaving her needing a quiet home. She is very sadly just somebodies posh hack. I had her 12years and it wasnt a light hearted decision. Cruise was bought as something to play with while she healed in the field and i had not intention of ever selling him, hence he has been educated by me for me.

I have decided that after having some very nappy, spooky horrible horses recently (whilst looking for my school mistress/master) my confidence is not anywhere near where it needs to be to do right by cruise. He is young and needs clear instruction from somebody who has the experience and time to dedicate to him. He is not difficult or nasty and a very kind horse but it is time for me to take a break and i need a superb home for him. Id have thought that a nice, smart looking 4yo whose siblings are eventing brilliantly, that is well bred, fully vacc, papered and microchipped, shod, back checked, teeth done, and ready to continue his education would be worth £2500+ all day long, but then maybe I just dont know the market as lack sales experience? Maybe i need to look at sending him to sales livery or something?? :confused:

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It amazes me how many people don't put a photo or if they do horse has its mouth open or something else off putting. And pics with folk slouching backwards with no hat put me off at first glance.
Agreed ^

And the 'lovely' video's of horses priced at over £3 - 4k which are cat jumping 2ft 6, looking very unbalanced & being ridden rather poorly.
I've only spotted the odd isolated one which actually has a horse being led up properly & the rare one of a horse being balanced round a 20m circle in canter.

Makes me want to go back to doing the backing & bringing on again....... ...[sometimes:rolleyes:] but am resisting as ought to be acting sensibly these days :eek:

WestCoast

Visit site
Agreed ^

And the 'lovely' video's of horses priced at over £3 - 4k which are cat jumping 2ft 6, looking very unbalanced & being ridden rather poorly.
I've only spotted the odd isolated one which actually has a horse being led up properly & the rare one of a horse being balanced round a 20m circle in canter.

Makes me want to go back to doing the backing & bringing on again....... ...[sometimes:rolleyes:] but am resisting as ought to be acting sensibly these days :eek:

I think I started a thread about this somewhere, but after watching dozens of these videos I was praying that just once the poor horse with its nose pulled right under would ditch the rider and leg it to the nearest patch of grass for a nice nosh - I'd have bought that horse. ;)

Paula