Are lorries just NOT selling?

Bugly

Visit site
A friend and I have both had our lorries up for sale for 6 months now. Both of us have only had 2/3 people to view and its always people who have never had lorries before, wasting time and asking stupid questions.

I have been told that I have got a very accurate price on the lorry by an expert so I'm interested to know are other having problems shifting horse boxes? I'm really worrying now, I had hoped to sell in the summer during show season but now we are heading to winter its even less likely to find a buyer.

Anyone else lumbered with a lorry they cant shift?

jsr

Visit site
Blimey you joking??? I've been looking for months and everything we go to see either is a bag of spanners or its sold before we get there!!!! I've ended up having someone make one up for us!

Bugly

Visit site
I'm selling a 7.5tonne, 3 horse, 1991 iveco with massive living and she's selling an x Reg DAF hunting box for 2 horses with a changing area and small kitchen.

Bugly

Visit site
Blimey you joking??? I've been looking for months and everything we go to see either is a bag of spanners or its sold before we get there!!!! I've ended up having someone make one up for us!

Maybe its the area where are living. Everyone has 2010 Oakley Scania's...no-one seems to want a good reliable old workhorse!

qwertyuiop

Visit site
I let mine go for less than its scrap value as I'd rather the old girl went to a good home then was cut up.

Every potential buyer was interested in the living area, but nobody asked about the mechanical reliability, or how safe the floor and ramp were. Some people are more worried about their creature comforts than the safety of themselves of their horses.

perfect11s

Visit site
A friend and I have both had our lorries up for sale for 6 months now. Both of us have only had 2/3 people to view and its always people who have never had lorries before, wasting time and asking stupid questions.

I have been told that I have got a very accurate price on the lorry by an expert so I'm interested to know are other having problems shifting horse boxes? I'm really worrying now, I had hoped to sell in the summer during show season but now we are heading to winter its even less likely to find a buyer.

Anyone else lumbered with a lorry they cant shift?
Sorry to say the buyer sets the price and thats even more so at the moment, there seems a glut of the older coach builts built on obsolete chassis that are expensive to run and about knakerd... then you have the problem that anyone driving one needs a pre 97 licence or to take another test so the easy way is to buy one of the toy lorrys which are very fasionable at the moment.... so that's taken out alot of the first time lorry buyers. The other thing is people are hopeless at advertising the things, one tiny blurred picture and a vague discription
isnt going to sell something for the best price!!!!! if it were me it would be on ebay with the lowest price I would accept as a start price,with lots of pictures and a short concise description.... good luck ...

Last edited:

ironhorse

Visit site
Well...we sold ours very quickly in August, so quickly that we had to go out and buy a trailer within a week to get to our champs show!
I think you have to be lucky - ours was fairly unusual, a forward facing 7.5 tonne with big living and a small payload! Fortunately someone wanted it to transport one spoilt horse about in style just like we used to!
BUT it was well maintained, very clean, and we could honestly say there had been no problems (apart from a double blowout on the M5 :( which meant the purchaser got two virtually new tyres!)
Price is also important - we got almost the asking price but were prepared to be flexible - we also got the lorry plated for the buyer as it was almost due.
There seems to be a ceiling at about £15k for older (ours was M reg) 7.5 tonners - a friend is selling their very nice, X reg 3 horse for £20k and has hardly had a phone call.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
As perfect11s said, the buyer sets the price, I understand that a knowledgeable person gave their opinion, but at the end of the day it's just their opinion - if you've only had two or three calls in 6 months, then clearly the price is not right!!

To give you an example, when I put my two year old on the market I had no idea how much to ask and I asked a trainer I know who lived nearby for their opinion, this person buys (and sells) several youngsters a year so he clearly was the ideal person to ask... He went and saw my colt and 'valued' him at £9k "at least", now, in this market that price was completely unreasonable! I did put an ad up for £8k ono, for a month, and we didn't get any calls, not even one -- in the end I sold him to a friend of mine through word of mouth for £7k....This is just to say, you can't rely on the information given to you by one 'expert'... if lorry still hasn't sold after six months, then clearly something, somewhere, is wrong.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
An accurate price from an expert is not accurate if it isn't what the market warrants. If your lorry is unsold after six months then the expert's "accurate price" isn't accurate.

ossy

Visit site
Well...we sold ours very quickly in August, so quickly that we had to go out and buy a trailer within a week to get to our champs show!
I think you have to be lucky - ours was fairly unusual, a forward facing 7.5 tonne with big living and a small payload! Fortunately someone wanted it to transport one spoilt horse about in style just like we used to!
BUT it was well maintained, very clean, and we could honestly say there had been no problems (apart from a double blowout on the M5 :( which meant the purchaser got two virtually new tyres!)
Price is also important - we got almost the asking price but were prepared to be flexible - we also got the lorry plated for the buyer as it was almost due.
There seems to be a ceiling at about £15k for older (ours was M reg) 7.5 tonners - a friend is selling their very nice, X reg 3 horse for £20k and has hardly had a phone call.

Well heres an example of how much its a buyers market at the moment... I recently bought a x reg Daf 3 horse, good payload, gross weight 7490tn so under the 7.5tn where the new taco/driving hours regs come into play, nice day living, mechanically sounds, needed no work for recent MOT, nice paint work, generally great little lorry for £6,500. For £20K at the very least I would be expecting to be in the new number plating system bearing in mind you can pick up 54/05 7.5tn lorries for ~£4,500 which you can have converted yourself for around £20K.

I would seriously rethink if your pricing is as reasonable as your expert thinks.

Louby

Visit site
I wish I could find one!! Ive been looking for months and do keep seeing the same wagons coming up. Too be honest they are either IMO expensive or sadly in the outer hebrides. :)
Ive been pipped to the post on a couple of wagons but they have been a known make at a competitive price.
I sold a wagon a few months ago, I had it up for what I thought it was worth, dealer had told me it was worth even more but it didnt sell. I left it a couple of months, re advertised £3k cheaper and it sold to the 2nd viewer 2 days later.
Im not saying yours is over priced but maybe have a look at others similar to see what they are going for.
Oh and where are you based, I may be interested :D

Penniless

Visit site
So where is the best place to advertise horseboxes for sale? We intend to sadly sell our Marlborough Renault Master 2 Horse Box (the type with the very low ramp) next month and was wondering where to advertise it. I've been in contact with Marlborough themselves to get a price I should advertise it at, and they tell me I should have no problem selling it, but where do I advertise?

Just saw the suggestion of ebay - haven't got an ebay account myself but could get someone to put it on for me - do they sell off of ebay okay?