Are lorries selling? And will mine...?

Abacus

Visit site
I have advertised my Daf lorry on Ebay and Preloved, with no response on Preloved and so far no bids on Ebay. I know that if I pay some money I could advertise on H&H or horsequest etc... was hoping to avoid this, not because of the money but because I'd really rather just sell it on a bid and not have to waste loads of time showing people over it. That sounds terribly lazy but I've been stung that way before with people not turning up and loads of timewasters (on a previous lorry).

It does have 40 watchers and 1 day to go, so maybe one will put in a late bid, though I tend to think that many watchers are just there out of interest, or because they are selling their own and want to see what it goes for, etc.

Do you think lorries are selling at the moment? If anyone wants to be hugely helpful and critique the Ebay listing, you can find it with the search term 'Daf horsebox turbo'.

Thanks!

WelshD

Visit site
You don't bid on Preloved - you'll still have to show people around it! Try Horsegossip forum that have a section where these can be advertised for free, that section tends to get a lot of traffic

There are three with that description on Ebay but all the ads look ok. People do tend to bid in the last few hours so I wouldn't panic just yet - as long as you would be happy with the starting price you should be just fine

Of course you could mention it on here and advertise it free...oh wait....

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks! I'm not actually trying to advertise, I assume anyone looking will be searching on ebay and elsewhere and see it anyway. It's not exactly an impulse buy...

mutley75

Visit site
Just glanced at ad on eBay. Reasons I would say, by looks of it cab does not tilt, people are becoming aware that this makes them hard and expensive to work on. Tack lockers, people are busily having them removed. The one below it is half the price. That's just my humble observation.

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
I watch this thread with interest as I'm selling Hovis' Lorry and am getting no where. Its a good lorry in good condition but we've had it up for a while and only a couple of sniffs of interest.
If it wasnt for the fact that my little one means i dont take Hovis to many parties anymore i wouldnt sell it but its wasted.
I've not looked at your advert yet but would be interested to see what yours is up for in light of peoples comments about it being too expensive
*wanders off to ebay to look*

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Personally I'd be wary that you want a £500 deposit at the end of the sale but won't accept paypal which would be the only secure method of paying the deposit in the eyes of ebay.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
With that amount in the living, I would be very wary of putting three horses on! I am almost certain that you will be overweight at that and VOSA are getting keener and keener about stopping horse lorries, especially for weight checks. If I were looking to buy at the moment (I'm not, we have a 7.5 Daf :) ) I would want the payload on the ad.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agree with YorksG. If the ad is the one I think it is, there is no mention of payload.

It has been reported widely that many horse box conversions are not legal when loaded. I would want the seller to prove to me that the lorry they were selling is legal, even if that means just carrying 2 horses instead of the 3 it is stalled for. Very few can carry 3.

I would want to see a recent weigh bridge certificate of the unloaded lorry, plus, although I don't know how its done, some way of proving that the individual axel weight limits are not exceeded when the lorry has horses on. The absence of these figures immediately makes me think (possibly quite erroneously) that there is some problem re payload. Only if this information was provided by the seller would I proceed further and consider a viewing.

Also I would prefer to pay by pay pal, might well give the lorry a miss just on that account.

Copperpot

Visit site
Having just bought a lorry, a Leyland DAF, I would say they aren't really selling. I have been watching loads on eBay and preloved and over a month later they are still on there with the price reduced. If I'd have waited I could have got mine cheaper but i am impatient and had the money to spend and wanted to spend it before I frittered it away on something else!

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for thoughts on that - really useful.

With regard to the payload, I don't have any confirmation although anecdotally was told it is 6.1 - didn't want to put that on as I have no proof. I have said stalled for 3 because it is - and it could carry 3 ponies, or a combination of horses and ponies, but not 3 large horses.

The reserve / no reserve thing was a bit of a cock-up... can't edit it now. I started with no reserve but have been offered a certain amount in part-ex (more than the start price) so added a reserve to make sure it goes more than the part-ex amount. If it doesn't sell, I'll part-ex it instead.

Hey ho... we'll see what happens. Good luck to anyone else trying to sell a lorry - they are hard to get rid of!

YorksG

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for thoughts on that - really useful.

With regard to the payload, I don't have any confirmation although anecdotally was told it is 6.1 - didn't want to put that on as I have no proof. I have said stalled for 3 because it is - and it could carry 3 ponies, or a combination of horses and ponies, but not 3 large horses.

The reserve / no reserve thing was a bit of a cock-up... can't edit it now. I started with no reserve but have been offered a certain amount in part-ex (more than the start price) so added a reserve to make sure it goes more than the part-ex amount. If it doesn't sell, I'll part-ex it instead.

Hey ho... we'll see what happens. Good luck to anyone else trying to sell a lorry - they are hard to get rid of!
I think you were told a load of rubbish about the payload, if you look up the weight of a Leyland Daf, box van (which is the waggon body without any horse partitions, ramp etc it has a payload of about 3 tonnes, add the floor and everything else in and my guess is that you will be lucky to have 2 tonnes, without all that in the living, so you will be pushing the limits with two on.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You really need to know the payload .
If it is hard to believe the payload is 6.1 surely you mean the lorry is 6.1 that would make the payload 1.4 .
I can't believe any one would buy without knowing what the lorries wieght with a tank of fuel.
At that the lorry could well be overwieght with two full sized horses on board plus people plus stuff plus water .

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Far too expensive for a V reg and as others have said as it is coachbuilt you are unable to tilt the cab. This makes it awkward and expensive to work on. With the living and all the lockers etc I doubt that you could carry 2 horses legally.

We had a M reg DAF 45 with ally container, a hunting box type - no living. That weighed 5.5 T empty. We now have the same container on an 04 plate DAF.

Whilst coachbuilts look nice and people like the luxury of living, the payload is very limited. Hunting box type much more useful. Our container is now on its 3rd chassis!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
They are not selling for the simple reason that parts are becoming very difficult to source for the older wagons. My Daf is on a T plate and needs a new headlamp, they are not made and we are searching the scrap yards.

My last Daf on a G plate was a brilliant lorry but ended up getting scrapped because parts could not be found.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
The other issue is the age. Whilst the container is smart and the engine etc will probably be fine it is the chassis that rots and your chassis is a V reg. Our M reg went like a dream but the chassis succumbed to rust. Unless you are lucky enough to keep your lorry undercover and regularly wash and spray oil on the chassis they will rust.

AdorableAlice...you could have had the spares off our old one!!!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Getting worried. I've just bought a Leyland Daf L reg locally, for £3500. It runs well, cab has been resprayed and has no rust...looks very smart. Back is wood panel, floor is wood. Both seem basically sound, but some panels in the back are warping/delaminating...and it needs a coat of paint. It's done about 100K. The living is OK...fridge, hob, hot and cold water, a heater, big luton, tilt cab, batteries with isolator. I haven't actually collected it yet, just paid a deposit. Gulp. I only want to carry one horse, but want a nice big living...it's only stalled for 2, as it's been shortened...very short for a 7.5. I was getting excited...but now I'm a bit scared. I can't afford much more than I've paid..am I doing the right thing?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Tilt cab is a big plus and keeps cost down on repairs to engine and cab.

It is an old lorry and might be worth asking your mechanic to glance at it and also ask him if he can source spares.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I was kind of going on the fact that there are so many of these ancient lorries still in everyday use. I have a friend who uses her C plate truck weekly, and it's done about 400K, and is a total rust bucket...but she's doing up the living and loves it! Even when the gear stick comes off :-0.
I assumed that most old lorries just keep going as long as they receive a modicum of care, get serviced, and get driven fairly regularly rather than standing. I know they'll all die at some point...and if I could afford a newer truck I'd buy one...oh well, I guess I'll just go with it...I had a drive of it, and as far as I could tell (never driven one before) it was fine..it all seemed to work. Does the price seem OK? I haven't found many on ebay for less, unless they are in Inverness or something.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
We had no problem getting spares for ours from the scrap yard...the worry is the chassis with the older ones....is it rusty? The chap who looks after ours and a few others always says when they get to "that" age...get it through its plating and then sell as it is unlikely to go through another. If you are taking someone to look over it get them to look underneath. They are lovely lorries and a dream to drive. Yours may have been looked after and kept undercover.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would say £3500 is reasonable for an L reg. We sold our B reg for £2250 (I think) 4 years ago. I think a lot of the issues with anything over 3.5T is the newer licensing laws to be honest - people want the 3.5T so they don't have to take additional tests! Therefore, the market for anything bigger has dropped off.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I agree Landcruiser, but the problems come when good old VOSA say 'no thank you'. Some of us will remember the wonderful TK's simple to work on and cheap as chips. Then VOSA upped the emission threshold and they all failed.

Pricewise, it seems reasonable especially with a ticket on, but do remember the test does not look at the floor and i would strongly recommend you have the floor looked at before parting with anymore money or put a horse in it.

Nicnac

Visit site
I have an X reg (the old X reg so 1990!) Leyland Daf Roadrunner (second chassis as the TK fell apart). Have no problem getting parts and payload is 2.4T despite it being a wooden box with oak flooring and heavy ramp. Living is minimal however. It doesn't have a tilt cab anymore as idiot who put box on Daf chassis welded it and my mechanic has no issues working on it.

Mechanic said it's one of the best lorries he knows and chassis is in good nick. It's never been kept under cover.

OP - saw your ad and lack of technical info i.e. mileage/pay load and high price would put me off. Rewrite your ad and relist with paypal payment and lower price.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Ok, I feel slightly reassured by some of you! I must say I like the idea of it being pre "onboard computer and all that modern stuff" ie just plain mechanical. I don't know anyone I can take with me to have a better look though. I had a good crawl around underneath when we went to see it...some small seepage of oil under the sump (not a drip, just oily to touch). A few dodgy looking bits of wire here and there. Must say I didn't really check much of the chassis, just the bits that were obvious, and they looked OK. But I'm a girl...what do I know?? I'll have a better look when I go and get it, before parting with the dosh.

YorksG

Visit site
Landcruiser, one essential you need when you have an older wagon is a local lorry mechanic, the other is someone you can trust to check and mend/replace floors and ramps, do enjoy your new to you wagon. :)

Albertus H

Visit site
Haven't seen the ad but I had my 7.5t lorry up for sale earlier this year and it took about 2 months max to sell. It was at the other end of the scale and up for 30k so I was expecting to have it for a lot longer tbh! Think it just depends on who is searching for what at the time. I would be worried about the payload though, a lot of people are more cautious now as they are clamping down on over weight vehicles. Because mine was a newer build and only 5.1 unlaiden I think that was a huge selling point. A lot of people are willing to pay that bit extra to have a legal lorry than go for an older one that are usually over weight before you start :/ if I were you I would probably go for the part ex!