Are lurcher dogs good family dogs

Spirit2021

Visit site
We are hopeful adopting a lucher early next week. I have a few questions do they make good family dogs and how big are they.

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
We are hopeful adopting a lucher early next week. I have a few questions do they make good family dogs and how big are they.
I have no knowledge of lurchers, but surely if you are in the actual process of adopting one " next week" you should already have carried out some research into the breed. Attempting to adopt a dog without even knowing the size it and any other of it's traits seems incredibly unprepared to say the least.

Spirit2021

Visit site
I have no knowledge of lurchers, but surely if you are in the actual process of adopting one " next week" you should already have carried out some research into the breed. Attempting to adopt a dog without even knowing the size it and any other of it's traits seems incredibly unprepared to say the least.
We did do research but I just wanted to get a opinion on this forum. We only saw one picture because of COVID-19 we can’t visit him . They said he was a medium sized dog on the small size but when I was researching the breed looks massive.

gunnergundog

Visit site
A lurcher isn't a breed; it is a 'type'. The size will depend on what mix is in the breeding.
If you are adopting, it would be good to find out if the dog has been worked. Be very aware of what their prey drive can be. Do you have any small furries at home? Cats, Rabbits etc? If so, you may want to re-think.

Keep researching and adding to your knowledge on this type of dog! :)

Last edited:

Skib

sites.google.com
I was once taken to visit a woman who bred lurchers. And I always wanted one. If you are energetic and active and up for long walks, it sounds lovely.

planete

Visit site
Most lurchers have a high prey drive and you need to be prepared to keep a lurcher on a lead if you are likely to encounter any game on your walks, anything that runs can trigger a chase. If you are prepared to manage that, most lurchers are very good family dogs and very trainable when it comes to normal every day life. They obviously inherit the traits of the breeds they come from. I have three and could not be happier with them but be aware they like their comforts and sofas make highly prised lurcher beds!

CMcC

Visit site
As others have said the size of the dog will depend on the cross, I have a Greyhound x Bearded Collie who i would say is medium sized but I have known Greyhound x Deerhounds who were huge!
Temperament wise they tend to be very laid back and people friendly,and great with children. I have never known an aggressive Lurcher but this will depend on background and breeding. My other Lurcher is a rescue and is quite timid with people, while she would never growl or bite I don’t think she would be happy in a noisy, boisterous household.
You say you are adopting so I assume dog is a rescue. A responsible rescue should advise you on whether dog is suitable to live with children and other animals.
Other tips for Lurcher ownership - they are thieves, will steal food if left anywhere their long noses, you will have to give up your sofa and bed because they love to sleep (for hours and hours) on a soft bed, high prey drive get used to them hunting rabbits, squirrels, pigeons - anything they can catch.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Depending on the breeding, some will be the size of a whippet and others the size of a greyhound or larger. We had a pharaoh hound lurcher the size of a pony that weighed over 60kg. Like most hounds they like to sleep a lot but need regular exercise They have a very strong prey drive and can go for cats, rabbits etc.

tiggipop

Visit site
hi i have 4 ranging from 20inch tts and 15kg to 28 inch tts and 35kg.. my 5 month old pup is 21.5 inch tts and already 18kg. they are all different and it depends on the mix. again i have whip x saluki a big bull x a whip x grey and the pup who is collie whip grey.

may i suggest that if you are on fb you hop on to a friendly lurcher site such as lurcher link rescue chat - a bunch of friendly knowledgeable lurcher folk who wont gloss over the downsides as well as sing their praises.

i too would have expected more info before you adopt especially on background.. some of these poor dogs have had a bloomin awful past.

wishing you well with your addition if you go ahead

x x

Smitty

Visit site
There are 5 lurchers in my road, all owned by families and absolutely adored. Every single one is smooth coated and I reckon the smallest one is half the size of the largest. As others have said, it will depend very much on the mix of breeds in the dog as to size and temperament.

My terrier is on high alert when he hears one pair barking as it means there is a cat on the fences in the back gardens, but I never hear the other pair.

Many years ago my sister went to Stow Fair and came back with a GreyxColliexBeddyxWhippet puppy who was absolutely wonderful but alas when he was 2ish he discovered the free range ducks in a field up the road and had to be rehomed?

I did work in a small office some years ago where one of the partners used to bring her rescued lurcher in with her each day. This was a large shaggy lurcher, Irish Wolfhound x Grey? Anyway, we were all under strict instructions not to look at her or speak to her as she was not good with anyone but her owner as I can testify having been growled at a number of times when trying to negotiate around her on the stairs and if I remember correctly, a couple of other staff were bitten by the animal...

honetpot

Visit site
As people have already said it depends on the breeding and what, if anything they have been used for. I have had two, one was a medium sized dog, and one that had deer hound in him, and he was huge, but because of the slight frame he never seemed big to me.
In my experience they do not need long walks, but need a sofa, they have a burst of energy, and need a sofa to recover. They are also selectively deaf, so recall is a problem, and they can be two fields away in the blink of an eye.
One of mine was a rescue from a local animal charity and the other we had from a puppy, and they didn't chase our cats, they were not really fussed about the children unless it was about nice food, not the common stuff you put in their bowl. They are very fussy about their legs and feet, so their sofa must be a big one if they have to share. They are incredibly self centred, they would not make good boy friends, comfort not you the centre of their world. For total love and exhaustion you need and collie, their love and energy is boundless.
As a fashion accessory they made me look a lot more active than I actually am, and they would sleep on the sofa with children running around, and only curl a lip if they touched their feet.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I loved my lurcher, but they are mongrels (usually from heaven knows how many breeds) so they are all different.
Generally I would say as they are bony they won’t want to be mauled by small children, and they can’t help but chase running things.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
all the lurchers i have had were good family dogs and got on well with other dogs. some t could have happily have off lead and they have good recall, one i owned had a very high prey drive and i had to be very careful where i let her off so to answer your question they are all different so the rescue should be able to tell you which type of lurcher it is...

paisley

Visit site
We did do research but I just wanted to get a opinion on this forum. We only saw one picture because of COVID-19 we can’t visit him . They said he was a medium sized dog on the small size but when I was researching the breed looks massive.

I really dont want to be the fun sponge, but I would want to meet a dog before commiting to adoption. Yes, I know current restrictions make it tricky, but outdoors in a secure area with masks must be possible surely?

Lurchers should make good family dogs, but as mentioned certain characteristics mean they wont be necessarily as uncomplicated to train like other breeds/types.

Having said that, they can have good recall, and arent automatic food thieves. But you will need a large sofa and accept sharing it!

SusieT

Visit site
They can be destructive and counter surfers and they chase anything that moves in general as that is what they are bred to do. They are generally human friendly but depends on history, if its been in house or kennels etc. You will need to meet dog and get its history .

dunthing

Visit site
Our neighbour has a deerhound X. He is our lab's best friend and met ours when he was seven weeks old. A huge, gentle, very regal dog who we can stroke but you get that 'that is enough now" look from him. When they are loose in the field our boy cannot compete but has a good try!

Chiffy

Visit site
The term Lurcher has changed so much since we bought our first one 50 years ago.
Originally a sighthound x working dog usually collie, now anything with a bit of running dog in it is called a lurcher. The smaller versions were whippet/ bedlington which did a different job.
Our first one was specifically bred in Lambourn a great centre for lurchers where the famous Lambourn lurcher show was held. Norfolk was another great centre for lurchers.
Our girl was smooth coated and about greyhound size, her mother was broken coated. She had a wonderful kind temperament, was obedient and a great family dog. On a walk she didn’t hunt but if she put up a hare she had to chase it. We learnt that on losing or catching their prey, a lurcher will return to where they started. Wonderful dogs.
We bred a litter , crossing her with a broken coated Norfolk lurcher. We kept a broken coated girl who was just as much of a delight.
Lovely to reminisce but probably not that helpful to you as Lurchers have become such a mixture now.
You need to see and assess this dog for size and temperament, good luck.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Hi everyone sorry I haven’t replied we are getting foster him for a week and if we like him then we will adopt him. I didn’t realise that until they called me last night which makes more sense. He is coming this evening. We do have birds the rescue doesn’t think it a problem .

Odyssey

Visit site
Hi everyone sorry I haven’t replied we are getting foster him for a week and if we like him then we will adopt him. I didn’t realise that until they called me last night which makes more sense. He is coming this evening. We do have birds the rescue doesn’t think it a problem .

I'm glad that you're getting to foster him, and hope that it works out. I've had 5 greyhounds and adore the breed, they've been lovely, sweet, gentle dogs. Although they love their walks, they haven't needed long walks, though did enjoy walks of an hour or two. They really are couch potatoes, and barely move the rest of the time! ? I would say that their prey drive is the only real downside, and any lurcher is likely to be the same, though it varies a lot from dog to dog. My current boy has a fairly low prey drive, he will quietly stand and watch a herd of deer running, which is pretty good going for a greyhound. However, he was very excited the first couple of times he saw a field of sheep! He's always kept on the lead, so can't chase anything. Apart from one who was spooky, and scared of children, the others have been great with them, and a couple have adored them.

I'd be careful with your birds. I once took one of mine round to a friend's house who had a budgie, and he was fixated on it. It wasn't a very relaxing visit! My first one used to jump up to try and catch pigeons when she was young, though grew out of it. Hopefully yours will be ok with birds, but just wanted to warn you. Good luck, please let us know how you get on, and I'd love to see pictures if you keep him. Greyhounds, whippets and lurchers are my favourite breeds/type.

Last edited:

planete

Visit site
If by birds you mean chickens, definitely be very careful. One of my foster lurchers was rehomed to a family who kept chickens inside an electric netted enclosure. The dog promptly jumped the fence and grabbed one of the chickens. Amazingly they still have the dog (but no chickens).

CMcC

Visit site
Out walking my Lurcher one day we were walking through the car park of the woodland we were walking in, she was on the lead. I noticed a small bird at about knee height on a shrub, I thought it would fly off as we approached. It didn’t, she ate it! She also once opened her mouth as a mouse came out of the linseed bin in the feed room and swallowed it whole.

captainmark

Visit site
Wonderful dogs without a doubt but may not be the easiest. 40mph couch potatoes. But listen to all the other points and think very carefully. Background if known? Often mistreated and can take time to win trust. Previously had rescue whippet crossed with something. Age guessed somewhere between 2&6 when we got her. Absolutely no recall but never when out of sight. Loved the chase if she saw a squirrel but never caught anything. Think she was dumped as didn’t have the kill in her. Wouldn’t hurt a fly and fine with kids. Now have slightly larger one. We think with some deerhound mixed in. Rescue adult dog again. A year almost and slowly getting recall. Slowly! Selective hearing. Very sensitive too however due to rough past. Was very reactive initially with other dogs. 70% better now but still lots of work and patience . She has also learnt to keep a distance from horses. But still careful as she likes to run with them if they take off. Loves kids too (not as prey!). If you decide to go for it make sure you have a very comfy and large bed and restrict to a small area in house first of all. You will lose your couch if not? also make sure they know their position from day one. Human through door first etc. Good luck ??

Attachments

• 24E7823D-ACDD-4A22-8751-3C233D85D9F5.jpeg
    24E7823D-ACDD-4A22-8751-3C233D85D9F5.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 22

captainmark

Visit site
ps Don't be under any illusions - the original poachers dog - thought to be from when pure bred sighthounds were only permitted to be owned by nobility! They might even see next doors fluffy lap dog as prey so be cautious until you know. As lovely as they are they are hunters, as are all dogs, but at the top of their game! oh and decent fences - if you have one that can be bothered they can easily jump!

Spirit2021

Visit site
Update I not allowed to post pictures on social media until he becomes official ours it one of the rules of the rescue . He has a amazing temperament you can definitely tell he had belonged to a family before he is great with kids. He is just a little bit scared . So he follows you everywhere.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
Hope its all going well.
Lurchers like many dogs can really change after a few months into a new home, for the better mostly as they can really come out of themselves once they settle.
One thing I would say is I have a friend who has worked at dogs Trust for a couple of years, battersea for a couple of years and boarding kennels that held up to 200 dogs at a time before that and she says my current lurcher is the only lurcher see has seen that does not have dog aggression or prey drive directed at small dogs.
Great of the rescue to let you foster for a week before making your final decision.