Are mares dirtier than geldings (or is it just mine...)?!

sfward

Visit site
I'd never had a mare before I got Missie in February, and I can't believe how filthy she is in her stable! She has the bare minimum of shavings as we have rubber matting but even so manages to mess up the entire lot in just a few short hours overnight. She is FAR worse than any gelding I've ever had!

So is it just mine - or are all mares dirtier than geldings??
crazy.gif

alicep

Visit site
mares are dirty!!! well mine is any way. shes the only mare on the yard and is wetter and smellier than the other geldings.

Tempi

Visit site
Mine are the other way round!! Archie is so dirty its disgusting
crazy.gif

Bloss mucks in a pile in one corner and it takes me 5mins max to muck her out everyday!!!!
grin.gif

They are both on rubber matting with small shavings beds in one corner - Bloss's bed is always really neat, and Archie's is always tramped around his stable
smirk.gif

harrihjc

Visit site
my gelding is far more disgusting than my mare, actually, his stable looks like its been deep littered for a year then thrown all over the place when he's had a completely new bed and been in there a few hours! I may just have an exceptionally gross gelding and clean mare tho...

Worried1

Visit site
Diva is really clean - she does all the pooh in a neat pile and NEVER treads or lays in it. She wees all in one corner so is easy to muck out and her shavings looks as white as the day the bed was laid.

Blitz on the other hand is a dirty b****r - he is so lazy he diesn't pick his legs up and ambles round his box in a fashion not dis-similar to Forrest Gump at the start of the film when he has his legs in calipers. There is never anything that resembles a pooh it is just brown and mulshed and gross!

isabella

Visit site
my mares are the cleanest do all there poo in the patches of long grass in the field so my field always looks tidy, have there little place in the stable where they do everything in a pile (looks like an elephant has been the loo lol) and my appy mare wees down the corner where there is a hole at the back of the stable so it all goes out lol

In contrast my geldings stable used to look like a bomb had hit it and i used to dred mucking him out

Angua2

Visit site
Sometimes my geldings bed is trashed, but over all he does appear to be fairly clean, especially when compared to my mare, who is a total tramp

The_Tranterer

Visit site
MOST geldings (not all!) that i have owned have been very tidy in their boxes, even to the point that one corner is the poo corner, the other is the wet corner, and the banks hardly get disturbed. in my experience, mares are FAR dirtier!!!! (woman's perogative, i think!!!
wink.gif
)

ecrozier

Visit site
Ours are! My gelding isn't exactly clean, but he's better than the big mares, who wee everywhere then tramp around in circles in tyheir stables. Disgusting! The pony mare however is the cleanest of all, so not sure if we were just unlucky with the big girls!!

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Noooo.... My mares are both way tider than my last gelding - who seemed to wee and wee and wee and wee and then roll in it and kick it about for good measure.

Maybe it's down to the individual horse?

Foalie makes a mess mind you, and she's a filly.....
grin.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I've never really noticed a problem before but both Spring and Bea are dirty devils! I do Spring's box exactly like yours; have tried full beds, half beds, you name it so now I stick to 1/4 bale of shavings and clear most out every morning. She messes (lots, at least a full barrowful if not more - biggish barrow!) round the outside and as she always walks around the box as opposed to going straight from a to b it's like a roundabout with the clean in the middle! Bea is tidy but she seems to hold a lot of fuel for the muckheap! She has a half the box deep bed which suits her (and my pocket!) much better. They're both on good rubber matting though, otherwise those beds would not be an option.

miller

Visit site
Our mare is filthy gelding spotless - the thing is with geldings the wee tends to be across the middle of the bed due to the fact they stretch out whereas mare just lifts her tail wherever she is stood!

Gelding does 3 or 4 poo's overnight - mares record is 17 (average 10) - that's after being skipped out at 10pm!
shocked.gif
Makes you wonder when she gets time to sleep!

Hullabaloo

Visit site
No horse is dirtier than my gelding! He is the most disgusting horse I've ever had to muck out. I feel especially strongly about this at the moment as he's on box rest so its even worse than usual. I've tried shaving, straw, full beds, half beds and he trashes them all. I think he amuses himself by jumping on his poo to turn it to puree as I usually find it blended in the bedding.
On the other hand I used to have a mare on loan who left lovely neat piles of poo and a wet patch in the same place every day.
We're back to the vets today and I'm expecting to be told another 2 weeks box rest. I'm not sure my sanity can stand it!
I feel better for that but bet you wish you'd never asked now!

Lulabelle

Visit site
Just depends on the individual I think - I have two mares, one of whom is absolutely filthy in the stable, whereas the other is the cleanest horse I have ever had the pleasure of mucking out! My gelding is somewhere between the two.

sfward

Visit site
lol! 17 poos????!!!!!!!! good god!!
At least mine is fairly easy to muck out as I just have to take the entire lot out every morning with the exception of one small patch in the left hand corner
crazy.gif
She is disgusting though...

Eccles

Visit site
ChestnutMonty, yours sounds like mine! My gelding is disgusting and is on a small shavings bed but I have to remove most of it every day!
crazy.gif
I think its because he spends all his time either eating, or looking for something to do!
grin.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i find mares cleaner, for the most part. if you use hardly any shavings on rubber, they don't have much choice though... i'd try 2 bales of shavings for a week and see if she's much much cleaner, might end up cheaper in terms of time mucking out, cleaning horse, cleaning rugs, etc!
my new mare is fastidiously clean in the stable, but i've had geldings like that too. the filthiest horse i've ever known was a gelding (not mine, thank god.) he was on straw and had to have the whole bed, to the walls, removed every morning. 4 bales of straw a night, every night.
frown.gif

celia

Visit site
Sister's mare is very clean in her stable - makes all her mess in one corner and is bliss to muck out. My gelding, however, is completely disgusting and I usually end up having to take out most of the bed
crazy.gif
My sister's gelding is pretty clean though - evidently she just has hers better trained *sigh*

DiablosGold

Visit site
I used to loan a mare and she was fairly clean, but my gelding makes it his absolute mission, every single night, to make mucking out as hard as possible. He mixes all the poo and wet and spare hay in and wees/poos extraordinary amounts!

mpicton101

Visit site
Two of our mares are very neat and tidy with their poos and have special designated areas lol, but our big warmblood mare goes from being quite neat and clean to a disgustingly dirty and wet churned up bed! The geldings aren't much better, the majority are much worse then the mares but the pony is the cleanest horse I have ever met, he is also the campest horse I have ever met.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
my mare is variable to be honest. When she was first stabled she used to make such a mess. Nowadays, she will poo in one place, cover it with bedding and then go and lie down on the other side. Think she has worked it out now. She's not too bad, but I wouldn't say she is clean.

M_G

Visit site
if i get saff's bed just right she will only poo on the banks and wee in the middle however leave too little or too much bedding an she will trash the stable
confused.gif

harrihjc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No horse is dirtier than my gelding! He is the most disgusting horse I've ever had to muck out. I feel especially strongly about this at the moment as he's on box rest so its even worse than usual. I've tried shaving, straw, full beds, half beds and he trashes them all. I think he amuses himself by jumping on his poo to turn it to puree as I usually find it blended in the bedding.
On the other hand I used to have a mare on loan who left lovely neat piles of poo and a wet patch in the same place every day.
We're back to the vets today and I'm expecting to be told another 2 weeks box rest. I'm not sure my sanity can stand it!
I feel better for that but bet you wish you'd never asked now!

[/ QUOTE ]

How familiar that sounds! Flash was on box rest until last week, and it was awful, we just never know where to start with him, and he was extra irritating and would tip the full wheelbarrow over then look all smug
mad.gif
I got 6 heaped wheelbarrows out of Flash's at the weekend!

I feel slightly better now that I'm not the only one with a gelding who purees his poo then mushes everything up!

Doublethyme

Visit site
Someone said this to me the other day, yet I have found both my mares to be cleaner than any geldings I have mucked out and so were my friend's mares.