Are Mickleham multi bridles all they are cracked up to be?

maisie06

Visit site
The Awesome one could do with a new bridle. He has a habit of popping his tongue back and forth over the bit, he doesn't seem unduly stressed and I'm not overly bothered. He stops once pushed on and given some tasks to think about. He has had all physical checks done and is fit as a flea.

I have been looking at the Micklehams and wondered if they are as amazing as the blurb makes out, so if anyone can give any feedback good or bad I would be grateful!

Dumbo

Visit site
I'd struggled with my ex racer for over 2 years. Tried so many different bits, nosebands, lessons, every thing checked etc. A friend lent me a Micklem bridle one day and WOW. It was like magic. Consistent contact, happy, forwards. It was a different horse! Ok so definitely no dressage superstar but nearly a year on and we haven't looked back. He goes so well in it. I'd highly recommend, however I have heard that a not everyone gets on with it but definitely worth trying.

WelshD

Visit site
I saw a pic recently online where someone's horse got caught up and it turned out the leather had a plastic core running through at least part of the bridle. That convinced me never to buy one! The broken leather looked like cardboard

For the price they charge I'd expect better leather

Nicnac

Visit site
Horses for courses. I like the ethos and bought one for mine as a four year old. Use it daily (3 years) and leather is great. I don't know if they have changed their manufacturer as have heard that leather isn't good quality anymore.

I don't know if mine goes better in it as never used anything else.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The black leather seems worse than the brown. That's the disappointing thing about them. I did wonder about getting something made similar (but not the same) in decent leather.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have a black one and the horse goes better in it than a conventional bridle, the bit is more stable without being set, the leather is still ok after a years worth of use with very infrequent cleaning

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have a black one and the horse goes better in it than a conventional bridle, the bit is more stable without being set, the leather is still ok after a years worth of use with very infrequent cleaning

Have to say I had a brown one and cleaned it about twice and it was fine. Borrowing a black one which has been oiled and it's horrible and my friend who cleans tack a lot has a black one and it's also horrible and that's why I thought it was the black leather but maybe it's too much cleaning!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I love mine. Mare is fussy with contact and a mild head shaker. She seems to go well in it.

However I bought the multibridle as I use it bitless and also do in hand work and work in hand with it. Love it for its versatility!!!

spacefaer

Visit site
It would put me off buying a horse if I saw an advert with a Micklem in the pics.

They look hideous. I know some horses apparently go well in them, but I don't like them at all.

oldjumper

Visit site
I have had one for several years. Originally bought for a horse that was very hot and hard to hold who I suspected it was running from pressure that no amount of changing bits/nosebands/bridles seemed to cure. I eventually got a Micklem and the transformation was instant. He became a calm obedient happy SJ. I've since used it on other horses and it made no difference to their way of going - but none of them had any 'issues'. I now mainly use it for lunging. Also as a general spare or lead bridle as it more or less fits everyone. Still good as new - with regular cleaning!

teddypops

Visit site
The leather was absolutely fine on the brown one I had, 1 of my ponies hated it, it made no difference to the other 3 ponies at all.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have two brown ones. The leather on the one I use most is terrible. Practically cardboard dispite it being cleaned every time it is used. I was going to upgrade to a competition one but didn't feel the leather was much better TBH.

Both horses seem to like the Micklems, and I do feel they go better in them, however I won't be starting my youngsters in them, just because I feel that judges (showing and dressage) don't seem to like them.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Tried my girl in one bitless and with her normal bit, made no difference and she hated the pressure from the bitless on the lowest setting. One of the other mares went quite sweetly in it, but is now back in a conventional cavesson noseband bridle as she goes nicer in it.

scewal

Visit site
Made no difference to my mare. I think size wise they are quite odd. I wouldn't buy one again as the quality isn't great.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
As with everything, they have their pros and cons. I've seen a few teamed with bauchers/hanging cheeks and that doesn't work at all IMO as the noseband ends up being too low across the horse's nose. If you don't want a drop noseband and put the back strap of the noseband above the bit, it sort of works, but doesn't sit quite as well as using it as designed. I agree that the leather is awful quality for the price.

stormox

Visit site
I dont like the look of them, if you have a horse with a sweet little quality head why drown it in thick,clumpy leatherwork? But I do know people who say their horses go well in them. I dont think Id trust that little noseband ring for lunging, though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I dont think Id trust that little noseband ring for lunging, though.
Actually, the lunging ring is really secure. I originally bought my micklems purely for the lunging option. My maxicob hated, and fought, a conventional lunging cavesson or the lunge rein up and over the poll option. He goes very sweetly in the micklem.

Only time he pulled hard on it was when we were caught out in the outdoor arena in a sudden hailstorm. The horses in the fields all legged it into their field shelters, and he thought that he would go and join them in the dry, thank you very much. The micklem held 640kg of cross cob very securely, without shifting round on his face.

Visit site
I'd never buy one. Personally I think they are huge and hideous! The one horse I knew that got ridden in one hated it so we changed him back to anormal bridle and he was grand.

cauda equina

Visit site
My chap goes far better in his Micklem. He is fussy in the mouth; I've tried him in a conventional bridle with a Mullen and a hanging cheek, but the Micklem is definitely best.

I was dressage writing (BE) a while ago and the judge said how much he hated Micklems as they're 'ugly'.
Soon after he'd said that a horse came in and he said 'There's one of those horrible bridles'. It was actually an ordinary bridle with a grackle

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I borrowed one from a friend to try, it didn't really make any difference to my chap, he's exactly the same in a comfort bridle with a cavesson noseband, however, her horse does seem to goes better in it, but he does have issues.

The leather though is horrible, she has the black one. For the price I would expect decent quality leather. I would see if you could borrow or hire one before investing on one. I appreciate that plenty of horses do prefer them. My horse doesn't really have many issues apart from ducking behind the contact which a NS Verbidend (sp?) seems to help with so maybe that's why I didn't find any appreciable difference.

Peggs

Visit site
I've just bought one as my boy has a lump on his jaw line, I think he must has given it a fair old wack in his younger days, I imagine he mostly likely fractured it (Told it was a tooth eruption when I bought him!! lol!) His lump has never given him a problem in a bog standard bridle, but I felt it kinder to not put pressure over the area if I didn't need to. Hence the Mickleham, he is already, in only a handful of uses going so much better. I really rate it.

Tobiano

Visit site
have read this with interest, they are taking off round our way at the moment!

I haven't tried one as I am not keen on drop or flash nosebands and they look to me as if they are set up like this.

Definitely wont buy one now after the comments on the leather quality!

cauda equina

Visit site
have read this with interest, they are taking off round our way at the moment!

I haven't tried one as I am not keen on drop or flash nosebands and they look to me as if they are set up like this.

Definitely wont buy one now after the comments on the leather quality!

If your horse goes so much better in one, as mine does, you wouldn't worry about the poor quality of the leather. It is a bit tacky-looking, but it's strong and safe.
The nose doesn't have to be tight. I leave it very loose and it's fine

MuddyGeorge

Visit site
Micklem bridle has made a BIG difference to my pollen/hay allergy headshaker. He's once more a pleasure to ride. I really rate it. Leather quality on mine is fine, admittedly not finest luxury leather, but soft and strong. No problems at all, we both love it! You can buy them on a trial and return basis. You'll lose postage cost if you decide to return but that's fair enough I think.

maisie06

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input, looks like they are a marmite product!! I have done some googling and I'm going to hire one for 14 days and see how we get on, at the end of the day it will be the Awesome one who makes the decision rather than me! Will let you know how we get on.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
If your horse seems to like the hired Micklem then it might be worth looking for a second hand one to buy. I've had mine for years - shortly after they first came out about 8-9 years ago, and the leather quality is good. It sounds like the price of a new one is the similar to when I bought mine but the leather quality is poorer. I love their versatility. Young cob has 'inherited' the bridle from old cob, though TBH he would happily go in anything as he is so straightforward.