Are my hats ok to use in competitions?

Jazz2984

Visit site
Can anyone tell me if my hats are ok with regard to the new safety standards?
I have a caldene prestige and a gatehouse hs1, both have kitemark and BSEN1384 2012
I only bought the caldene hat last summer for showing and I really can't afford to replace 2 hats!

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Do they only have bsen1384? I thought the hs1 was ok but of they only have the bsen they are not ok for competitions.

conniegirl

Visit site
For showing it will entirely depend on what class you are diung.
Some require the PAS standard, some just require a hat with strap, some dont require any form of safety hat and you could ride in a beagler

Shay

Visit site
Do they show the PAS 015 as well as BSEN? If not - then I'm really sorry - you are likely to have problems. There are still some showing societies which permit the lower standard hat - but for smaller shows insurance has compelled a change even if the governing society has not yet.

I am surprised at Caldene not warning you at purchase that the that would be unsuitable for competition this year. Did you buy on line?

Sorry - re-reading.... Gatehouse have never produced a hat only to BSEN 13854. That at least must have a higher standard.

abbijay

Visit site
I've just googled the Caldene Prestige - it does not seem to carry any other standards therefore, depending on what rules you are competing under, it will not be allowed. For showing there may be a hat waiver you can sign (if over 18) or the rules may not state a particular level required. For other activities under BRC/BHS/BE/BS/BD rules it is not allowed. If you bought this from a tack shop, had it fitted and told them your reason for buying it I would be pretty disappointed with the shop.
Your HS1 carries the BSEN1384 but also carries the SNELL standard and therefore is permissible under all the societies.