Are my horses suitable for rehoming

tabithakat64

Visit site
Due to the breakdown of my relationship, I have a large amount of debt and am likely to become homeless over the next few months, the upshot of this being that I am trying to find/sharers/loaners/new homes for my two horses and my pony.

I've tried all the usual places, feed/tack shops, Facebook, Preloved etc and have had no success, just a lot of timewasters :(

I would really prefer not to have to get to the stage where I am forced to pts but none of them have any real value so selling is not an option and I've been unable to find anywhere cheaper to keep them etc.

Everyone else seems to be finding sharers, loan homes etc and although I'm fussy about where they go I just didn't think it would be this hard :(

All three are safe and fairly straightforward to ride and handle, my elderly 13.2hh would make a fantastic PC pony for a competant rider (she's forward going and has the odd buck) but I've had no luck trying to find her a PC home.

My 15.2hh is well schooled and pratically bombproof but has a spavin and is quirky to handle yet I've had no interest in him or my cob who is stunning but limited to hacking/light work only.

Can anyone suggest anything I've not thought of yet as I'm starting to get desperate :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I really hope that things work out for you and your horses.

Which websites have you advertised on?
Have you put the pony on the PC site?

Spottyappy

Visit site
Have you contacted the DC of the pony clubs within 50 mile radius? That would be for the pony, obviously.
For the others, should weather ever decide to improve, you may find things pick up with the sites you already use.
What about the sites specific to loaning horses?

Archangel

Visit site
my elderly 13.2hh would make a fantastic PC pony for a competant rider (she's forward going and has the odd buck) but I've had no luck trying to find her a PC home.

Have you advertised on local pony club websites? How elderly is elderly? I would have thought there would be a job for him.

My 15.2hh is well schooled and pratically bombproof but has a spavin and is quirky to handle
Spavin would put me off more than the quirky to handle - no luck with a sharer?

or my cob who is stunning but limited to hacking/light work only.
again no luck with a sharer?

It is a horrible situation to be in. Years ago one could just about weather a crisis but now everything is so expensive isn't it? This cold snap, sorry ice age is slowing things down a bit.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No reason why they shouldn't sell. Selling anything is an art.
Advertise in the right place (I've used horsemart several times with good results.)

Get good photo's, showing each horse doing what it does best, target the market best suited for each particular horse and keep the description upbeat and positive.

Your horses have lots going for them;- a school mistress PC pony , a well schooled, bombproof horse and a stunning cob (perfect for a mature lady who wants to potter about the lanes, spend time brushing him and letting the grandchildren plait his mane etc)

They sound fab. I do hope things pick up for you soon, its difficult but don't panic just yet. Spring and horse buyers are just around the corner.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sorry for your situation. If you don't expect things to pick up quickly then I'd cosnider selling rather than sharers/ loaning. As a loaner myself I am fully aware that my loan horse could come back at only a few hours notice and I'd have to provide for him at that stage (and sods law would be they would come back just as the worst of the winter weather kicks in or when they have more expensive medical issues to deal with)
Keeping an eye on loaned horses is key and will take up lots of your time (which you might not have spare).

They sound saleable - all be it for c.£500 ish (just above meat value)

tabithakat64

Visit site
I've contacted the local PC DC's already about my pony (she's 22) and have advertised on all three on all of the free ad sites I could find via google as I have already spent my wages for this month on bills so can't use any of the paid sites at the moment (at least until I've sold some more stuff on ebay).

Ideally I would prefer sharers for all three or local loan homes as this would enable me to ensure their future welfare but I'm just not having any success in finding anyone, I would sell to the right home though.

I've had them 15, 8 and 4 years and two of them were rescues and I promised myself they would all have a home for life with me and I'm gutted that I cannot provide that :(

Last edited:

PollyP99

Visit site
Have you thought about somewhere like the blue cross? They do home direct where they match someone on their list of loanees with your horse, the transaction then happens on their paper but directly between the two homes so they dont go into the charities overstocked stables at all - just a match making service?

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/

ladyt25

Visit site
I was gone to suggest one of the charities. They can help find loan homes for you. Keep putting the word about, let everyone who you can think of know. We tried to sell a dab pony many years ago, were flummoxed as to why he didn't get snapped up. Eventually sold him through word of mouth after chatting to a customer at the pub I worked in at the time

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Can't help but notice you have been very negative about the three of them.

The 15.2 with the spavin I can't comment on, not experienced enough.

But the 13.2 pony at that age should be targeted to lead rein. Are they OK on lead rein?
Are their stable/ground manners good and safe?
Not every child has learnt to ride as a toddler.

The cob.
Any reason for light work/hack only? Will that change or is there an underlying issue?
Are they bombproof?
You say they are stunning, so people who might be interested in that won't be the same as those looking for a "happy hacker".

There's a lot of mixed messages in what you have posted.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I didn't want to post loads of details and be seen to advertise so have just put basics in my post.

Sadly the 13.2hh is more of a second pony although she can be handled safely by children etc and is ok for the odd tiny tot to ride , she has a blemish and is both too big and too lively to be a leadrein.

The 14.3hh is possibly suitable for light schooling too but not heavy work due to a previous tendon injury, he would also show in hand. He's excellent to do I all ways and very affectionate.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Have you tried ringing riding schools & even trekking centres to see if they would loan any? If I had the money for a third right now I'd have the 13.2 on loan. Which area are you in? I'm on my phone at the moment, but if you're anywhere near by I can certainly ask around for you.