Are my plans really mean?

Kami26

Visit site
Hi all again :)

I have a very big problem in the fact that my other half is dreadfully allergic to horses. Everytime I have a lesson or help out i have to shower at mums so as not to set his asthma off and leave my gear there. However the other day I left my hat behind a chair in my house out of sight and it was covered in hair. He didnt even sneeze once! I am begining to think this is purely psycological and was thinking i may perform a little (mean) experiment on him. I was going to rub the horse with a hanky and hide it near the other halfs PC to see if he reacts. Is this too mean?

My whole reasoning behind this is befor the cat turned up he was allergic to those too but now he hasnt got a problem with all the hair.

B

BigRed

Visit site
When I met my husband he had serious hay fever. I moved him out to the sticks and he had to drive past fields of rape to get to work, so he got worse. Then I moved him further out into the sticks and now we have our own horses and he helps to get the hay in off the fields. In the beginning he sounded like he needed to go to hospital, but now, so long as he takes one citirizine tablet a day, he can cope with anything, so his immunity definately got better over time.

LaurenM

Visit site
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If its to make your life easier as you can shower at home then its not so mean. Although it depends on how severe his allergic reaction would be.

misst

Visit site
Just be careful, a hankie is one thing but if he has true allergy problems then he could get quite ill if you push things too much. Are you sure it is horses and not hay that he is allergic to? My daughter has terrible allergies including anaphylaxis and everyone except us insisted she was allergic to her horses. She was tested and was not at all allergic to horses but was tremendously allergic to rye grass which is present in most hay. Might be worth looking into.

Kami26

Visit site
hmm now thats an interesting thought... wonder if i can do a contol test with the grass? just a little one mind you i dont want to kill him...

I just find it so odd that he sneezes when he sees my Johds after theyve been washed (which probably doesnt remove ALL the allergens)

BeckyCandy

Visit site
My mums other half is exactly like this but I thought he was trying it on a bit and working himself up whenever he knew when id been near horses if he didnt know sometimes he wouldnt even sneeze. Then i left my gloves in living room he ended up in A&E on a nebuliser! Oopps! And the gloves werent even left on purpose but proved to me he was actually very allergic to the horses!

LegOn

Visit site
I think if you OH was supportive he would go & get some drugs from the doctor in order to help deal with his allergies other than making you feel like a leper!!

I have major allegeries to alot of stuff, including dust, but you have to live so I take a massive 120mg of anti-hestimanes a day in order to function normally, they dont cost that much on prescription!

I say go for & if he doesnt react - push him to go get tested at the doc & see what happens, worst that can come of it is he gets some drugs in order to help him deal if he does have something!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
you could try it. Many people do actually get used to certain hairs so there allergies can improve (hence the cat). Only thing is its asthma so it could turn out badly.

Kenzo

Visit site
:D Oh what a funny post lol

My hubby is the same, he recons he' allergic to Mackenzie yet he'll go near other horses, I think it's his excuse because he doesn't like him (he's scared or him and doesn't trust him) or because he thinks I won't ask him to help me do something, so he says he can't because he makes him itch and sneeze (man flu symptoms ;)) yet he does admit also that he won't go near him because he thinks it's mental (this is coming from a non horsey OH by the way :rolleyes:)

Cruel ...well yes but to hell with it, do it anyway! :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
hehe not mean at all! My bf claims to be very allergic to horses too, he also makes a point of taking antihistamines if we go anywhere in my car (tbf it is often a bit dusty in there!) but I regularly go out with him straight from the horses, and he's had direct contact with my very worst horsey jumper which could set anybody off... Oddly on each occasion he has been fine, so I have come to the conclusion it is psychological too :p

(oh and yea, I do go on dates straight from the yard, it's not ideal but for various time constraint related reasons, it's straight from the yard or we don't go out at all. I'm not really a dressing up and looking sexy sort of person, god knows why he is even going out with me anyway!)

Suziq77

Visit site
they definitely get used to cats on an individual basis, i.e. the cat which was there before they were, so i don't see why the same can't work with horses....the problem is they have more excuses not to go near the horse, i agree with the idea to hide things and see what happens :D

spottybotty

Visit site
Hi all again :)

I have a very big problem in the fact that my other half is dreadfully allergic to horses. Everytime I have a lesson or help out i have to shower at mums so as not to set his asthma off and leave my gear there. However the other day I left my hat behind a chair in my house out of sight and it was covered in hair. He didnt even sneeze once! I am begining to think this is purely psycological and was thinking i may perform a little (mean) experiment on him. I was going to rub the horse with a hanky and hide it near the other halfs PC to see if he reacts. Is this too mean?

My whole reasoning behind this is befor the cat turned up he was allergic to those too but now he hasnt got a problem with all the hair.

B

I think it is quite irresponsible! Have you ever seen someone have a bad asthma attack? You could potentially put him in hospital.

blueneonrainbow

Visit site
I agree it's a stupid idea. At least ask him if he is prepared to give it a try before you do it. Maybe he just doesn't want you smelling of horses when you're with him... It's not the most attractive smell in the world!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I'm convinced that most allergies have a psychological component. My son could bring on an asthma attack anytime he didn't want to go to school. It was ridiculous. But asthma can be life threatening so I'd be a tad careful, or at least check all the life insurance policies are paid up to date >g< I'd slowly graduate the exposure. Start with the hankie, build up to a freshly used brush. But you might still find he starts wheezing the second you walk in after riding!! Men are like that.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
there is a reason why they only do allergy testing in hospital and that is because even in tiny amount particularly essence of horse and peanut can cause severe anaphylaxis and they have to have a defibrillator on site

jeeve

Visit site
My SIL is allergic to cats and horses and other things, they carry adrenalin for when she goes into anaphalitic shock. My brother has had to give her the needle a few times.

They did have a cat and it lived with them for a few years, so I am not sure how that worked, it eventually got put down due to cancer, but they also were becoming concerned about its effect on Jackie. They still have a cat now but it has white hair/pink eyes and she is not allergic to it.

With the horses she used to come in the paddock and occasionally pat them, she does not risk it now, and is going to have some tests done to see how allergic she is .

Syrah

Visit site
I would say absolutely don't do it.

Asthma is involved, is it really worth testing an asthma attack which could potentially be lethal?

LauraElise

Visit site
To those who think there is a psychological element to allergies, what a load of rubbish. I am desperately allergic to horses (and hay, grass, dust, cats,dogs) and have been since I started riding 25 years ago. At various times I have been in floods of tears that it just isn't fair that my one true passion makes me so ill. At the mildest, constant sneezing, at it's worst, hospitalised due to asthma attacks. Believe me, there is no psychological element to it. It's not fun having to take heavy duty antihistamines, nose spray, eye drops and an inhaler to do the one thing you love most in the World!

That said, you definitley develop an immunity, to a degree, to your own horse and yard over time. Maybe this is what has happened to your OH? Either way, you risk triggering an asthma attack. Has your OH tried medication? If not he is being a little selfish in my view.

Kami26

Visit site
To those who think there is a psychological element to allergies, what a load of rubbish. I am desperately allergic to horses (and hay, grass, dust, cats,dogs) and have been since I started riding 25 years ago. At various times I have been in floods of tears that it just isn't fair that my one true passion makes me so ill. At the mildest, constant sneezing, at it's worst, hospitalised due to asthma attacks. Believe me, there is no psychological element to it. It's not fun having to take heavy duty antihistamines, nose spray, eye drops and an inhaler to do the one thing you love most in the World!

That said, you definitley develop an immunity, to a degree, to your own horse and yard over time. Maybe this is what has happened to your OH? Either way, you risk triggering an asthma attack. Has your OH tried medication? If not he is being a little selfish in my view.

Ok the hankies did nothing... I put three in various locations over the house and nothing at all lol. No sneezing, coughing or anything even when he unwittingly picked on up.

As to the taking of antihistamines... he wont do it because 'they dont work', which roughly translated means 'i dont want to do anything where i may have to leave the house'.

lochpearl

Visit site
sounds like he doesn't have a problem like most of the poor people that have posted on here. It really grates on me when people make out that they have serious ailments when they don't.

To all the posters that have talked about their own problems or family's problems , you poor poor people, I have mild asthma that I only normally have when I have flu or a bad cold, to have to live with this daily would be my worst nightmare.

Booboos

Visit site
A secret, DIY allergy test is the most irresponsible thing I have heard in a long while. Should your OH suffer any harm you will be, literally, prosecuted.

Talk to him about your concerns and book an appointment for a proper allergy test which will pin-point exactly what he is allergic to. Then you can adjust your lives accordingly and like mature adults.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
A secret, DIY allergy test is the most irresponsible thing I have heard in a long while. Should your OH suffer any harm you will be, literally, prosecuted.

Talk to him about your concerns and book an appointment for a proper allergy test which will pin-point exactly what he is allergic to. Then you can adjust your lives accordingly and like mature adults.

I agree with this...

If you think your other half would say this to make things harder for you maybe you need to look at the relationship? and why would you want to put him in danger, particularly where asthma is concerned. I have allergies myself and they make me miserable particularly in summer. If my OH suggested I was 'imagining' them I would be raging. I have a BSc (hons) in health sciences and will tell you right now that this 'psychological component' nonsense is just that.

you want to carry out an 'allergy test' at home as a non-proffessional and with the other party being unaware.........the mind boggles :s