Are odd job men needed on yard?

Zipzop

Visit site
Hi,

My dad has recently retired but is perfectly active and is now bored! He is very good at making and fixing things and I was wondering if there would be any call for him to put his services out there,as an odd job man? He isn't looking for massive amounts of work just a bit to keep him ticking over.
Opinions please.

Many thanks

be positive

Visit site
I would think he will be very welcome on most yards, there is always something that needs fixing here but I either lack the time or skill to do it so they tend to get left until they are broken and need replacing, I think he would find plenty of work and not just in yards, most people have odd jobs that need doing and it is almost impossible to find anyone to do minor bits and bobs.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
perhaps although not yard work he would consider odd job for the elderly, pop a card in the library or post office where they normally congregate and he might find the odd thing............?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I agree and sometimes wonder why the unemployed don't do it. It would not take a lot of capital to equip a small van with a portable generator and some basic tools. The initial problem would be gaining trust as we are all wary of inviting unknowns onto our properties these days. There used to be people who did this, now I come to think about it. I wonder where they have all gone? There are always small welding jobs to be done here and I am lousy at it! Have the gear but not the skills!

Zipzop

Visit site
perhaps although not yard work he would consider odd job for the elderly, pop a card in the library or post office where they normally congregate and he might find the odd thing............?

Hollyanddivy123 - I'm not suggesting he do yard work! I'm suggesting an odd job handy man type arrangement, which would entail fixing broken things, repairing gates, putting tie rings/shelving up, fixing leaking taps etc.

Zipzop

Visit site
I agree and sometimes wonder why the unemployed don't do it. It would not take a lot of capital to equip a small van with a portable generator and some basic tools. The initial problem would be gaining trust as we are all wary of inviting unknowns onto our properties these days. There used to be people who did this, now I come to think about it. I wonder where they have all gone? There are always small welding jobs to be done here and I am lousy at it! Have the gear but not the skills!

How funny you mention welding as he is a welder by trade and he has done it all his life! Lol shame you are so far away!

be positive

Visit site
Hollyanddivy123 - I'm not suggesting he do yard work! I'm suggesting an odd job handy man type arrangement, which would entail fixing broken things, repairing gates, putting tie rings/shelving up, fixing leaking taps etc.

I am currently making a list, 1 put tie ring back up, 2 fix the gate, 3 fix another gate, there is also some painting to do, just doors and walls, then when they are done I am sure there is plenty more, is he in Somerset by any chance???

Zipzop

Visit site
I am currently making a list, 1 put tie ring back up, 2 fix the gate, 3 fix another gate, there is also some painting to do, just doors and walls, then when they are done I am sure there is plenty more, is he in Somerset by any chance???

Ha ha sounds perfect! But unfortunately not in Somerset....sorry :)

Abacus

Visit site
Where is he? I have a list as long as my arm of exactly this sort of thing!

So in answer to your question, yes I am sure that there are yards that would pay by the hour for this sort of service.

Zipzop

Visit site
Where is he? I have a list as long as my arm of exactly this sort of thing!

So in answer to your question, yes I am sure that there are yards that would pay by the hour for this sort of service.

Such a positive response, this is great! We are in Bedfordshire x

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

S@eesh I cost my business at £4000 per annum, and funny, people think they will run up a bill [athen not pay.
I have never made a taxable surplus.
A small van costs about £4K cash, the unemployed don t have 4K
Neither do I have motivation to run around trying to find someone who wants welding.
My pension carries me through, but I am losing money on my "business", I charge £15 per hour, and on a good day that works out at £10.00 an hour.
Go figure
I have had no business calls for 2 weeks, and be4 that , 4 months.
I can do yard stuff, at least better than the last yard I was at!

Last edited:

hollyandivy123

Visit site

i meant not to limit the idea to a yard.................it is grass cutting time someone with reduced mobility would like help for the garden etc

windseywoo

Visit site
I'd love a handy man on my yard. Was just thinking about the jobs that need to get done, that I just don't seem to have the time. I've got all the equipment, can he get to Wolverhampton???

Leo Walker

Visit site
I cant find a handyman to come and do stuff at the house never mind anywhere else! So theres definitely a market for someone to do all the little fiddly DIY jobs that people either dont want to or cant do!

patseyr

Visit site
Always a need for a handyman in most yards/ farms, as there are always odd jobs to be done. As mentioned previously people are usually wary about letting someone they dont know in to do work, so usually a handyman is someone you know locally or through word of mouth.

KVH

Visit site
Absolutely.
We have one at the yard and every job needing to be done gets sorted asap. He's great!

maree t

Visit site
My OH took early retirement about 4 years ago . He set himself up as a handyman (kent) , he works pretty much every daylight hour !! he works on all different types of places and does a bit of everything . He charges £12.50 an hour .
Nothing gets done around here of course !!!

sarahw123

Visit site
My OH took early retirement about 4 years ago . He set himself up as a handyman (kent) , he works pretty much every daylight hour !! he works on all different types of places and does a bit of everything . He charges £12.50 an hour .
Nothing gets done around here of course !!!

Hi Maree t, where abouts in Kent does your husband work? Does he do general handy man jobs ie, house/garden etc?

Sorry to hijack op!!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I think Bonkers2 might have a point in that horsey people do not (shall we say!) have an unblemished record for paying promptly! Definitely be prepared to give references, listen to the gossip about the ones to avoid, and write off a proportion ofyour expected income! Not sure I would want to employ a moaner, though.

Sorry about that, but I have a long list of liveries who still owe me money! Always give an estimate and get payment immediately the job is done. Anyone selling hay or straw will only look for payment after the lorry has been unloaded the once. :) I once sold a couple of pigs and stupidly unloaded them into the field before getting payment.... I've never forgotten that one! :(

twiggy2

Visit site
if you have had a good long term relationship with your farrier/vet/back person etc etc then give them some cardsto hand out.
If someone is recommended via word of mouth I will use them but if they just turn up or leave a card I don't as I have no idea who they are or where they are from.

SallyBatty

Visit site

indiat

Visit site
We have the number of a local guy who does odd jobs, he is a God send around the house and yard! Definitely not a lot of them out there.

DW Team

Visit site
Our local handyman placed an add in the local paper for two weeks as they had a special deal on. He had to ring them on the day the local came out and plead for them not to run the second add as he had such a big response he had work booked solid for two months and has not looked back since. He does almost everything you can think off. Has a reputation for putting together the flat packed stuff and is in high demand. Good luck