are palaminos popular?

soulfull

Visit site
just pondering? wondering if people still like them like they used too?

never been my cup of tea but I know they were very popular at one time

I mean horses not ponies

Fire_Fly

Visit site
I adore Palaminos, mainly because it was my dream as a child to own one, there was a girl at my riding school who owned one and I was so jealous of her and thought she was amazing because she had this gorgeous pony.

I remember watching Danielle Steels Palamino as well and that made me want one even more.

Enfys

Visit site
They are as common as flies on a muck heap here, it is a popular QH/Paint colour.
I have 5 (2 are Paints) but then I like them, the good ones anyway.
You get some wishy washy things that look like cremellos, not so keen on those, mine go like that in winter.

I did a quick search on our Horsemart equivalent, these were within 75 miles of me:
http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/...um=1&tr=188638&CFID=10836228&CFTOKEN=87810748

I prefer the ones that have the irridescent shine to them (satin gene?) they are self cleaning, well at least mine are ;)
eedab8eb.jpg

Last edited:

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
i love the proper goldy coloured ones.

nt the ones that look like greys that have been dunked in a muddy puddle.

bit off topic but my FAVE colour is the gold of the Ahkal - Teke (Sp?)

missparis

Visit site
I love palominos and would own one anyday :) Will have to dig up old photos of my QH mare. She would go a dark golden colour in the summer and more of a white gold in the winter (when she was fluffy). She also was very dappled so a pretty mixture ifyou ask me :)

At a Belcam Stud Auction Years ago (one of the bigger WB breeders in Australia), the highest priced horse sold was a beautiful Palomino WB Stallion that I think was jumping around 1.30m tracks. Sold to Germany I am pretty sure.

Vixxy

Visit site
i love the proper goldy coloured ones.

nt the ones that look like greys that have been dunked in a muddy puddle.

bit off topic but my FAVE colour is the gold of the Ahkal - Teke (Sp?)

Ohhh yes, I had a book from the 60's of breeds and the gold colour was featured in there. Wow it looked like gold gold which of course appealed greatly to me at aged 10 years :D

I like proper golden shiny palominos also, I have been looking for a Welsh D in that shade but the foals look that wish washy colour so it is pretty hard to tell how the colour will turn out. So I am now considering a nice Liver Chestnut Filly I am fancying :)

ironhorse

Visit site
I prefer the ones that have the irridescent shine to them (satin gene?) they are self cleaning, well at least mine are ;)
eedab8eb.jpg

Oooh that's good news Enfys, and it does seem to be the case with my buckskin youngster who is out of a palomino with that irridescent shine.
He loves lying in poo, but it seems to brush straight off to be respectable enough to be worked by the trainer, long may it continue after five frustrating years with a grey show mare! :D

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I lurrve them!:eek: My favourite colour of all time.
Glad I never came across one when I was horse-hunting, as I'd have paid oodles of money for any old nag as long as it was palomino.:eek::D

Enfys

Visit site
Oooh that's good news Enfys, and it does seem to be the case with my buckskin youngster who is out of a palomino with that irridescent shine.
He loves lying in poo, but it seems to brush straight off to be respectable enough to be worked by the trainer, long may it continue after five frustrating years with a grey show mare! :D

Has your buckskin got that really soft, silky hair? Honestly, mud just slides off, Zeus can be covered in mud and when it dries it just falls off, I rarely brush him. He hadn't been cleaned up at all for that photo, that's just how he looks in summer.

Kao

Visit site
I think they're just as popular as ever :)
I love them, any shade, but the darker ones are nice.
Would be nice if there was a dilute stud that just had a long line of decent performance Pallys :D Now THAT is something I'd pay a lot of money for.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yes

I'll shamefully admit that on the last horse hunt I was searching for a palomino out of preference

I ended up with a ginger mare as I'm tight though...........

mcnaughty

Visit site
Love em - but it would have to be the right horse - I would never buy an animal just because it was the right colour.

I don't expect I really needed to say that but thought I would press the point.

Bertthefrog

Visit site
(Donning tin hat and getting ready to duck...)

Definately not for me I'm afraid - while I understand the preference people have for colours I can honestly say that every single palamino I have worked with has been difficult.

Before everyone replies saying how wonderful and sane their's are - I remind you that this is my opinion, but I have come across a few and been in the business for 20 plus years.

I don't doubt their talent - some I've worked with have been extremely talented, but all have been quirky and have taken more time than average to get to grips with.

Have two in recently, both pony geldings, that have been a nightmare to work with - admittedly they have both had chequered histories but even so!

That said - one has turned out to be a little cracker and has now got a fab pony club home and the other is slowly deciding that perhaps we are not so bad after all!!

I do like the shiney ones though - I remember seeing a spotted gelding a few years back (supposedly from Russia somewhere) his spots were brown but with a beautiful gold sheen - absolutely stunning horse. (And no - spotties aren't my thing either - good old fashioned brown ones for me! :D:D)

JenniferS

Visit site
(Donning tin hat and getting ready to duck...)

Definately not for me I'm afraid - while I understand the preference people have for colours I can honestly say that every single palamino I have worked with has been difficult.

Before everyone replies saying how wonderful and sane their's are - I remind you that this is my opinion, but I have come across a few and been in the business for 20 plus years.

I don't doubt their talent - some I've worked with have been extremely talented, but all have been quirky and have taken more time than average to get to grips with.

Have two in recently, both pony geldings, that have been a nightmare to work with - admittedly they have both had chequered histories but even so!

That said - one has turned out to be a little cracker and has now got a fab pony club home and the other is slowly deciding that perhaps we are not so bad after all!!

I do like the shiney ones though - I remember seeing a spotted gelding a few years back (supposedly from Russia somewhere) his spots were brown but with a beautiful gold sheen - absolutely stunning horse. (And no - spotties aren't my thing either - good old fashioned brown ones for me! :D:D)

I agree with this! :)

only_me

Visit site
I had a palamino when I was younger - nice pony, shame he dumped me in a water jump, and then decided to join me :p

He was a strange colour though - not a true paly apparantly?
balg003.jpg