are palaminos popular?

Kokopelli

Visit site
I do like them to look at and there is the most amazing one in America called Tango a little jumping pony ridden by a girl called Taylor Bland, its a beautiful pony but looks like a handful :)

I rode a lovely one for my B test training once and he was for sale and I begged my mum to buy him and she said no but 3 months later we sold the pony and we rung up and he was sold, I was gutted :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My first pony was one. He was absolutely stunning, my first love, and a total little git! He taught me more than any other equine I've ever worked with (usually bitter lessons!).

I love the colour in ponies (but think they are like chestnut mares in temp!) but don't really like the colour on a horse.

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
They're a mugs horse, along with pure black horse and spotty horses.
:D:D:D Mug I am to be sure.

Ahhhhhh, but they are popular, they sell, so I buy! I'll have ten times as many enquiries for a palomino, black, spotty, roan, buckskin or paint than I will a similarly aged/bred/trained solid sorrel or bay. ;)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
One advantage of the barbie look is that people are nicer to you when you are out hacking, it's def true as I also have a big bay boy. They are more concerned with 'oo what a pretty pony' than they are racing and cutting you up; it is a great help!

jinglejoys

Visit site
There used to be a Palimino stud Farm at Barnt Green near Bromsgrove and I loved to see the new foals in spring.
I always thought they were meant to be the colour of a new coin,so many of them look paler.
I also love the sheene on the Akhal Teke too

nikanita

Visit site
We love our little trooper to bits:

picture.php

picture.php

Bertthefrog

Visit site
:D:D:D Mug I am to be sure.

Ahhhhhh, but they are popular, they sell, so I buy! I'll have ten times as many enquiries for a palomino, black, spotty, roan, buckskin or paint than I will a similarly aged/bred/trained solid sorrel or bay. ;)

Would definately agree with you there - but I'll stick with me brown ones!

mulledwhine

Visit site
Ohhh yes, I had a book from the 60's of breeds and the gold colour was featured in there. Wow it looked like gold gold which of course appealed greatly to me at aged 10 years :D

I like proper golden shiny palominos also, I have been looking for a Welsh D in that shade but the foals look that wish washy colour so it is pretty hard to tell how the colour will turn out. So I am now considering a nice Liver Chestnut Filly I am fancying :)

Always wanted one, I guess my friend flicker has a lot to answer to :)

I have not seen many around where I live

soulfull

Visit site
cool all your pictures are lovely, thank you!!

A friend has been offered one, 15.3h but wants it to sell on next year and wasn't sure if they are popular, so thought I would ask:D

haycroft

Visit site
i like palominos..not many near me(well i dont see many)
this is my sons loan pony..sorry a ikkle pony not a horse an excuss to show a pic
DSC_6106.jpg

CIMG1755.jpg

hs only 11hh and my son adores him..hes darker in the summer and very light thoughtout the winter

be honest i like most colours of horses

humblepie

Visit site
I had one (Cromer prefix) years ago, about 15.1/15.2 I think. Was really good local show jumping, jump anything preferably very fast. You don't tend to see that many horse size palominos in general (sure there are lots at palomino shows etc) so when you do they are very eye catching.

Enfys

Visit site
Last edited:

reindeerlover

Visit site
Oooooh, they're me favrit!! I would swap all my horses/car/job/dogs for a shiny yellow one!! I would even throw in a second hand farrier for a yellow quarter horse....?

;)

dozzie

Visit site
I have a palomino Welsh sec b who is an absolute poppet. Just in the process of buying a bigger version LOL! So I will have two! Not bad for someone who a few years ago said " I only do bay":D

Hope the new one will be a nice version too.:)

ColourFan

Visit site
My favourite colour of all time! I had the tremendous luck to nearly 20 years ago to be able to buy a palomino coloured Arab cross mare that was in foal to an approved WB stallion ... resulting filly was and still is a shining copper gold in the summer.
Not the best stance pic (wrong angle) but as a colour indication:
http://www.sporthorsedata.com/horse/10521511/232/Horse_Peach_Gold-big.jpg

At the moment I've 2 palo mares, 1 cremello mare (first fully registered BWP cremello mare) and 1 palomino (18 mths) colt, and expecting next year either a palo or cremello WB foal.

One of my favourite stallions at the moment: Sun Champagne Charly: beautiful golden boy:
http://www.sporthorsedata.com/d?i=10521585&z=hE063_

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
My 1st pony was a palomino - he was actually rather sharp and could be 'difficult' at times despite his age!

i always said i would never have another - been there and done that and i stumbled on him rather than going out to find a palomino.

I did buy a mare at the end of last year though who had been covered by a palomino stallion... she had a palomino colt in May and he was meant to be for sale... but.... it looks as if he will make a decent height so hes staying with me for now :)

i normally am a massive bay lover though!

Enfys

Visit site
Love em - but it would have to be the right horse - I would never buy an animal just because it was the right colour.

I did. I do, come to think of it.

It took me absolutely ages to find Zeus, I specifically wanted a palomino, but the breeding had to be right too, and then when I found the colour and the breeding, twice the horse wasn't what I wanted so I kept looking.

Same with most of the horses I buy, I like colour, I specifically look for colour but if the horse isn't what I want then colour is irrelevant, I still don't get it.

Riding horses are different, they don't specifically have to be wellbred, coloured or even pretty as long as they do the job, both our hacks are boring bays.

ironhorse

Visit site
I like colour, I specifically look for colour but if the horse isn't what I want then colour is irrelevant, I still don't get it.

We spent most of this year looking for the right youngster, and colour was quite an important factor. We've had five fabulous years showing our grey QH mare, but I was really ready for a break from the constant washing/rugging/tail bagging - just wanted a horse I could enjoy without all the effort, especially as most of our mates are reiners and have self-cleaning sorrels!
I was quite relieved that my OH sid he didn't really want a palomino, because of all the tail washing etc, although I do think they look fantastic.
The buckskin was a perfect compromise of pretty and practical, and strangely we were offered three 2yo buckskin geldings to view! Most importantly, though, the one we chose has the laid back, friendly temperament we were looking for as a change from our princess-like mare!

I can't post pics for some reason, but here's a facebook link to Troy in his winter scruff!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=643458&l=2e12ee4c68&id=100000078295506

Mollymop

Visit site
I wasn't a fan until I bought one - he was a stunning gold colour and I just fell in love. I had the pleasure of owning him for 19 years until he passed away and he was my horse of a lifetime.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I lurrve them!:eek: My favourite colour of all time.
Glad I never came across one when I was horse-hunting, as I'd have paid oodles of money for any old nag as long as it was palomino.:eek::D

Mmmm, I would never have bought a horse for it's colour, but did come across one when I was horse-hunting ;)

He does have the most amazing jump though - that is when he's not on box rest with a suspected stress fracture on his hock :mad:

Last edited: