Are people riding?

Gift Horse

Visit site
I’m schooling the quiet one.
The hotter headed one has had the winter off and I don’t want to bring him back into work until I can hack him regularly so he is having an extended break.
I’m fortunate that they are at home so don’t need to travel.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I would be riding at home in the school with my air jacket on if I hadn't knackered my leg.

The way I see it is this: Boris encouraging outdoor exercise seems to have led to a large number of people who haven't sat on a bike in years to start cycling again. Which is great except you see them wobbling all over the road, not using any hand signals to indicate they are turning etc. To my mind they are at much greater risk than me pootling about on a safe older pony in a school.

I know that cycling groups have had the same conversations regarding carrying on cycling and overwhelmingly are in favour of continuing.

I have to say I wouldn't be hack out though especially with all the extra wobbly cyclists, walkers and runners around.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Golf has been stopped. Why should golf be banned? It's just a walk in the country and very easy not to be within 2 metres of the person you are playing with or touch anything but your own ball and clubs and the virus is not spread by driving a car to the course.

ETA I don't play, I just don't see the logic.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've thought about it a lot too. I am going to continue to ride my own horse, at home where she is kept, I may just hack round our farm and do a bit of schooling. I will def. be avoiding any roads.
Reasons being: horse is safe and sensible, riding will hopefully keep me sane and give me exercise.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yea, 'cos the Sun are a reputable source. They're conflating team sports (golf does usually involve human interactions) and "everything that is not walking / cycling / running".

Nope I don't find it objectionable at all, and I'm very glad you posted where you'd found the Q&A you posted. It's good to quote sources.

It's even better to use reputable sources, though. I linked to the government guidance above. If the Sun had more to go on than that, they should've quoted their source. However, being the Sun, one suspects they've probably just vomited something onto the internet and left it at that!

Not everything the tabloids print is false. All UK golf courses have been told to shut.

Floofball

Visit site
Golf has been stopped. Why should golf be banned? It's just a walk in the country and very easy not to be within 2 metres of the person you are playing with or touch anything but your own ball and clubs and the virus is not spread by driving a car to the course.

Because non essential travel is needed to get there unless your house backs onto the coarse and you could say it’s leaving the house for your one bit of exercise ?

Wheels

Visit site
Yes I am riding in my own arena at home and definitely more than 2m away from anyone else.

If my horses were in livery then I would not be going to the yard because I am self isolating because my husband is high risk. We are going nowhere and we are not seeing anybody. All shopping being delivered by supermarket or friendly neighbour and left outside.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I have decided not to ride. Not that I am concerned about virus spread while out for a hack but for the risk of coming off. I have used/am using far too much NHS as it is. Robin is good but he is feeling well and fresh. In the 3 rides since hospital he hasn’t done anything wrong but spooks a plenty and it only takes a bird to pop out, spook, splat. I don’t want to add to NHS strain. Crisis team keen for me to keep riding for my mental health but huge guilt as it is. Farrier is due in 2 weeks so I think I will just get his shoes taken off for a couple of months.
I’m torn over this one as my mare is arthritic, and the vet has told me in the past that keeping her in work is very important to keep muscle toned, as muscle supports the skeleton☹️ But I’m also very conscious that if I were to come off ( had her 11 years, and yet to, but don’t want to tempt fate?) I probably wouldn’t get the medical attention I may need?‍♀️ It’s a tough one isn’t it? I’ll probably keep her pootling in walk up and down hills, but if I do decide to keep riding, I definitely will stay in walk ?

DirectorFury

Visit site

Golf should be banned anyway, it's the fastest way to ruin a nice walk ;) (joking!)

I'm not riding, mine is on full livery 20 miles/45 min drive away and I doubt I'd even get there without being stopped and questioned by police. It's an unnecessary journey for me so no pony time :(. If she was on DIY or closer to home I would still be riding though - it's just the journey to the yard that is the problem.

This whole situation is making me rethink my 'I would never have horses at home' stance.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Not everything the tabloids print is false. All UK golf courses have been told to shut.

I didn't dispute that aspect of it - I disputed the assertion that one can only run, cycle or walk. Those were listed as examples, not a complete list - if the government wish to ban, for example, rollerblading, or skateboarding (which are equivalent forms of exercise to running or cycling), they should be more specific in their advice. That assertion is poor journalism from the Sun without backing it up with a source.

Of course golf courses have to shut. Why on earth wouldn't they?!

millikins

Visit site

I have zero interest in golf but thought golf was allowed just not the clubhouse at either end, but probably I'm out of date on that.

Ali27

Visit site
I’m got my ponies at home so I’m still riding my ridden one. Used next door’s arena today but took anti bac spray for gates that I touched. Will hack on lanes around me but have got 13 acres to hack around if necessary. I won’t be jumping though!

huskydamage

Visit site
Still riding, although Ive shortened my hacks. Partly because there are 10million people out walking and cycling everywhere now suddently!
Riding my horses is a welfare thing, that is their only exercise. The field is a thick clay bog. I do not have a school. Im still going to work as normal as I'm emergency services. Riding as a risk is the least of my worries right now. Its the only bit of de-stess and normality I have atm.

scruffyponies

Visit site

I asked my dad - it's played in groups of 4

scruffyponies

Visit site
Still riding, although Ive shortened my hacks. Partly because there are 10million people out walking and cycling everywhere now suddently!

Very happy that mine don't care.

Drove my daughter's pony up to the house yesterday, and he was a bit puzzled by me asking him to stand in wide gateways to allow pedestrians and cyclists to pass with loads of space - he couldn't see why we didn't just ignore them as usual.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Dad gets grumped at if he practices in the field ;) along the lines of you better find all those balls afterwards.
His usual course closed quicker than others as part of an ag college.
However realistically most club members are in vulnearble age group too.

greenbean10

Visit site
Golf should be banned anyway, it's the fastest way to ruin a nice walk ;) (joking!)

I'm not riding, mine is on full livery 20 miles/45 min drive away and I doubt I'd even get there without being stopped and questioned by police. It's an unnecessary journey for me so no pony time :(. If she was on DIY or closer to home I would still be riding though - it's just the journey to the yard that is the problem.

This whole situation is making me rethink my 'I would never have horses at home' stance.

I am in the same situation but 30 minutes away. I have still been going up to exercise my horse but I am sure most people would say it's not essential as she is cared for. She wouldn't be exercised unless I did it though, she goes in the field but still not enough for me to be comfortable not working her. Am unsure what to do really, as I haven't been stopped yet but think it's only going to get stricter.

Reactions: Kat

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I have thought about it and decided to ride today I am 69 and really need to keep going. It would be a lot worse for me if I lay my horse off, he his much better ridden two or three times a week, he is a very good boy and I trust him completely just riding around farm and local area we are used too. I’m not good at walking, or cycling so riding for me keeps me fit. Also I did think that although not to increase burden on the NHS, which of course is important, but even walking the dog and cycling can have risks, also driving if you have to go for food supplies or are still having to work, you could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and still have an accident, accidents also happen in the home, I think it’s just a case of being very sensible and don’t take too many risks.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I am in the same situation but 30 minutes away. I have still been going up to exercise my horse but I am sure most people would say it's not essential as she is cared for. She wouldn't be exercised unless I did it though, she goes in the field but still not enough for me to be comfortable not working her. Am unsure what to do really, as I haven't been stopped yet but think it's only going to get stricter.

I have to drive a few junctions down the motorway and right through the centre of a big city so I'm guaranteed to get stopped if I try. There are also more opportunities for a car crash! If she was 40 mins up the mountain I'd be more inclined to go. Mine has EMS and also isn't being exercised which is putting us in a really really difficult position, she's currently out for 12ish hours on winter grazing and will (hopefully) soon go out 24/7 onto a bare field which should be enough to keep lami at bay. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place tbh, I'm waiting and seeing what is announced at the end of this 3 weeks.

mariew

Visit site
No, the only thing we can do is hacking and I don't want to stress people out any more than they are by hacking round villages, but they are out 24/7 so they are fine. I would possibly ride if I had a school though and the horse was super safe. Basically you don't want to get badly hurt and needing an intensive care space if there isn't one available due to Corona virus. Or alternatively having an avoidable accident and taking up a space that someone who needs a ventilator requires. I make an objective decision rather than a selfish one if that makes sense, it's not a massive ask. If I was on a busy yard I would probably avoid riding too as I can't see how you can avoid people and potentially infected surfaces?

Upthecreek

Visit site
Clearly those that are still riding feel they have adequately assessed the risk, but let’s not fool ourselves that horse riding (even the bombproof saintly schoolmaster we know inside out) carries the same risk as going to the shop once a week for essential food supplies. I don’t mean risk of catching Coronavirus I mean risk of an accident or injury that could require medical treatment, placing further pressure on our NHS which is currently stretched to breaking point. If I fall over in the supermarket whilst shopping for essential food supplies and break my arm it can’t be helped, I have to feed my family, this is essential. If I choose to ride my horse and I fall off and break my arm the guilt I would feel would be horrendous. I suspect I would quite rightly be asked questions about my decision to continue with what is inarguably a high risk activity that is not essential.

I hope none of us find ourselves in the situation where we or someone close to us requires hospital treatment for Coronavirus, though it is very likely many of us will. That is the reason we should all be doing our utmost not to contribute to the burden on the NHS and to ensure there is capacity to treat people who may otherwise die.

And before anyone says it, I know statistically I am far more likely to have an accident at home than fall off my horse, but that’s not the point. The UK is currently in crisis and every single one of us should be doing everything we can to stay safe and avoid being a drain on the NHS. In my opinion that should mean choosing to give up the things we love for a little while because they are not essential and have the potential to be a huge drain on overstretched resources.

Frances144

Visit site
It's a tough one tbh. I have over the past few months completely lost my riding mojo - my excuse is the weather up here is beyond vile and any nice calm day is better to let the horses rest rather than ride them (and my wee dug needs me - she is very ill).

So now, I've been advised not to ride by the BHS, I sort of want to! How bizarre is that?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Anything with horses (a LARGE animal) can be quite dangerous. So it is as if we shouldn't touch them at all according to some views that have been expressed. I can still ride, but I've been doing some long lining or free lunging. Our horses don't have the option of turnout all day and/or night until about late April/early May, so they need exercise. Especially my good doer. I have to go there in the evenings to feed him anyway.

Someone (a lawyer writing about the law and FN-German guidlines) did say that if you have an in house trainer private lessons are still ok due to the space apart, and also that amateurs riding under supervision may be marginally safer. Interesting point, at least.